Henry Arms 30/30--opinions..?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Henry Arms 30/30--opinions..?

Post by 1894c »

Hi--just saw a Henry Repeating Arms 30/30 levergun (the blued
one, round barrel, all-steel receiver
), it's a nice build, reminds me of a Marlin 1894, loads
through a tube, no loading gate...my only concern and criticism is that the barrel is a bull-barrel,
which in turn makes the gun weigh in at 8.3 lbs. Heavy to say the least (Henry has it listed at
7 lbs, but the guys at my corner LGS weighed it themselves--it's a beast
). I hope Henry Arms
puts a thinner tube on this gun, because I am somewhat interested... :)

Pics are promotional only--here are a couple of reviews for you to consider...
http://www.americanrifleman.org/Article ... 1357&cid=6 (click on .pdf for full article)
http://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_30-30.htm

Please be advised--what follows was not the original intent of this post--all opinions, views, comments, and rebuttal are interesting--it should also be noted that I, "1894c", was never offended by any of the following comments...in the end it was instructional... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Henry Arms 30/30--opinions..?

Post by Buck Elliott »

After all considerations, I vote NO.. But, you are a grown man, and can choose whatever turns you on...

Maybe I have been spoiled by Quality..... :shock:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

For that amount of weight you could carry a lot more powerful of a rifle. Part of the charm of the 30-30 is the lightweight guns associated with it.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Dave wrote:For that amount of weight you could carry a lot more powerful of a rifle. Part of the charm of the 30-30 is the lightweight guns associated with it.
That's what I was thinking--I have a post '64 Winchester 94 that I've had for years, and it is this standard that I used to measure all new-comers... :)

Buck Elliott-- I agree about "quality" (although my Win.94 would be considered the poor man's choice; heck my service auto, the Glock 22, would be considered that too, not a high-end 1911, but a tough competitor that 65% of LEO's have carried since 1990), but I'm always interested in anyones attempt in proliferating the levergun genre--appreciate your comments... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I love my Henry .22 Magnum, but I have never warmed up to their larger caliber rifles. It's a combination of things that turn me off to them. One is the appearance. They just don't look right to me. The second thing is their weight. And the third and biggest turn off for me is the lack of a loading gate on the receiver. Loading through the tube takes longer and you can't fire a round and immediately replace it in the gun like you can a traditional lever.

For me, personally, the only time I find a large caliber levergun without a loading gate acceptable is on original or period correct replicas of guns like the original Henry, etc. Of course I realize everyone has their own tastes and standards for what is acceptable. The above are just my .02 :D
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Loads at the wrong end and it's heavier than it needs to be.

I'm not afraid of weight (Ex machine-gunner) but no .30-30 needs to weigh that much.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. The heavy weight is not good for carrying through the brush all day and gives the gun more inertia to make it slower to mount and swing but it also reduces recoil and helps steady the aim. In my opionion you cannot go wrong with a Henry. 8)

If you can get one now. The Henry rifles are getting hard to find as demand is so high. Henry is becoming a victim of its own success.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I owned a Henry 30-30 for about 60 days. It was sent back to the factory twice for repairs. Third time, the lever would not lock up properly so I asked for my money back and Henry kindly obliged. Less than one box of plain factory ammo had been fired through it. Very helpful customer service.

The weight factor won't be much of a problem for the stand hunter. But anyone who still hunts or spot & stalk style will end up cursing this heavy rifle.

My red stag was taken with two shots into the chest at about 85 yards or so. Hunt took place at Skinner Bog Preserve in Maine. I found the Henry to be reasonably accurate with open sights.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Have never handled one. Me, I like it that it is heavy. I am so tired of light weight rifles.
I have asked about Henry quality before. I get mixed results. Most talking about the 22.

I hope they are good rifles. I would like to see them come up with more calibers, ie 32 special, and some more "exotics" 307, 356, etc. But not holding my breath.

I have been asking about their strenght and quality as I still have some 307 and 356 (and some others) conversions in my brain, and wondering if this rifle is a candidate.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I think the "new" one's are lighter than the originals. It is a durable and accurate rifle. We tested one and had no problems with it for 200 rounds. The service, should it be needed is outstanding. It does change the whole traditional 30-30 lever concept by being bulkier, loading different and having a different balance point.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Wait, really? No load gate? And its heavy? I might take that Mossy 464 SPX and the ridicule that goes with it before that combination :\
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Heavy" doesn't matter so much, but Balance does.. If all the "heavy" is in the wrong place, it can be like paddling a conoe with the wrong end of the paddle...

I regularly pack a fully-loaded, 24" '73, or an '86 Winchester. The .454 rifle I built weighs 8 1/2 pounds, empty.. Remember the beloved U.S. RIFLE, CALIBER .30 M1, at 9 1/2 pounds..?

The only 94 Winchesters I get a hankerin' for have 26" octagon barrels...

If you can't pack that much Gun, what are you gonna do with a couple hundred pounds of deer carcase...?

Heaven help us all...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For me, the weight isn't so much an issue, but balance is. And at least one cartridge is lost in the thru-the-tube feature. Leverguns used to be graceful as well as functional... Henry did away with that axiom, taking function over beauty to new levels of ugly.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Buck Elliott wrote:"Heavy" doesn't matter so much, but Balance does.............

If you can't pack that much Gun, what are you gonna do with a couple hundred pounds of deer carcase...?
Oh yeah, I must have had a brain fade.. THAT'S why guys drive their stinkin' noisy 4-wheelers up to within 100 rugged yards of their tree stands, so they can haul their pencil-weight shooters 20 ft up the ladder to the blind.... Talk about exertion..!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe that six-pack of Pabst will blur the tremors in the scope... ?!?

(BTW, the lack of a loading gate is a HUGE deal-breaker for me...)
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:"Heavy" doesn't matter so much, but Balance does.............

Oh yeah, I must have had a brain fade.. THAT'S why guys drive their stinkin' noisy 4-wheelers up to within 100 rugged yards of their tree stands, so they can haul their pencil-weight shooters 20 ft up the ladder to the blind.... Talk about exertion..!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe that six-pack of Pabst will blur the tremors in the scope... ?!?

(BTW, the lack of a loading gate is a HUGE deal-breaker for me...)
Dude,
You need to get off that mountain and become civilized again and come down to lower ground and chill some :lol:
Got to remember yours/mine/or whoever's is only one mans opinion :idea: (should at least respect all views)
Some people like 26", some people like 20" (it's all good)
Peace bro! :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I like it up here on my mountain.. There's something about it that keeps the Riff-Raff away... :D

I've tried "civilization" a time or two.. It holds no great appeal Or fascination for me.. Civilization fosters committees and "group think" both of which are imminently destructive..

My opinions are mine .. They may be shared by others.. Some may not be, but they are the results of my study and broad experience, and they work well for me..

I reckon every man is entitled to his own folly.. Whatever that may be, for me, it has been arrived at honestly, and by individual effort...
Regards

Buck

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:lol: Laughing at last two exchanges! :lol:
From "Oklahoma!" -

The farmer and the cowman should be friends.
Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends.
One man likes to push a plough, the other likes to chase a cow,
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends... :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

1894c wrote:Hi--just saw a Henry Repeating Arms 30/30 levergun (the blued
one, round barrel, all-steel receiver
), it's a nice build, reminds me of a Marlin 1894, loads
through a tube, no loading gate...my only concern and criticism is that the barrel is a bull-barrel,
which in turn makes the gun weigh in at 8.3 lbs. Heavy to say the least (Henry has it listed at
7 lbs, but the guys at my corner LGS weighed it themselves--it's a beast
). I hope Henry Arms
puts a thinner tube on this gun, because I am somewhat interested... :)

Pics are promotional only--here are a couple of reviews for you to consider...
http://www.americanrifleman.org/Article ... 1357&cid=6 (click on .pdf for full article)
http://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_30-30.htm

Howdy guy,
Hey Henry does not have the bull barrel listed at 7lbs(see below link of theirs) thats for the 20" round barrel.
They list the bull barrel at 8.3lbs (click on their 30/30 rifles section)and scroll down to bull barreled one.
http://www.henryrepeating.com/henry-rifles.cfm
Yes weight is a factor to many(you know what you like)if that feels heavy(screw it)get the round barrel.
As far as Quality(Henry is making good guns)in fact probably better than some of the others out there.
If i wanted a light 30-30(I would grab the 7lb Henry in a heartbeat)
Best of luck whatever you want/get.
Knocking someone cause they want a lighter gun in my opinion is a little rude! :wink:
Your coin/your decision!

If you ever get a chance check out a Browning BLR lightweight(lever)in .308 win that weighs 6.8lbs
Shot one two weeks ago and it groups as tight as a bundle of sticks! :wink:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... 34&tid=006
Think they can be had for around 7 bills if you look hard!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

madman4570 wrote:Best of luck whatever you want/get.
Knocking someone cause they want a lighter gun in my opinion is a little rude! :wink:
Think it over.. Did you bring it to carry, or did you bring it to Shoot...?

I've seen too many "hunters" (I worked as a licensed Hunting Guide for over 20 years) who would quibble and stew about an extra pound or three of rifle, yet stolidly ignore the extra 30, 50 or hundred pounds of ballast (or "floatation") bulging above and below their waistbands, before and abaft... Those rannies (and their numbers are Legion...) would be better served whittling away at themselves, rather than profiling barrels and skeletonizing stocks...

Shucks, even an asthmatic, myopic kid from New York was able to pack a .40-82 Winchester '86 into the high-up peaks, after mountain goat and big horn sheep...

"Rude...?" Get over it...!
Regards

Buck

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hey Buck
How many of those Blubber Gut Hunters fed you for 20+ years?

ollogger
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK - ya got me wondering. Rannies?
Ran"ny\, n. [L. araneus mus, a kind of small mouse.] (Zo["o]l.) The erd shrew. [Scot.]

Is there a colloquial definition? How can a small mouse be a blubber gut?

- Are you part Scotch? (I was part Bourbon in younger years)
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Oh, the money was OK, but wouldn't have been worth it, just as a job.. I was getting paid for doing what I loved, but as the years wore on, i began losing respect for more and more "hunters.." i will wipe no man's nose for him, or carry his pack or his lunch or his rifle.. That wasn't what I was being paid for..

I admired the guys who worked to get in shape, and who could shoot, when it came to that, and who were grateful just for the experience...

Didn't have much patience with the guys who couldn't ride 5 miles without soring themselves and a horse, or who were scared spitless of the country we were hunting in, especially after bragging about hunting the Wrangells in Alaska, or the peaks of BC... Lost all tolerance for the ones who were afraid of their rifles, or the ones who begged me to shoot their critter for them... At the end of those hunts, ya just had to "kiss 'em on the forehead" and get 'em back to the airport... No love lost, on either side..

I got out by choice, just like I got in, but with a jaded attitude, and an ambivalence toward hunting that lasted a while.. I had lost sight of the joy of the hunt, because no matter how successful I was as ag guide, the trophy always went to someone else.. It gets to you, after while..

It never was about the money.. Could have made as much or more, doing other things.. It was about the Life...
Regards

Buck

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

JohndeFresno wrote:OK - ya got me wondering. Rannies?
Ran"ny\, n. [L. araneus mus, a kind of small mouse.] (Zo["o]l.) The erd shrew. [Scot.]

Is there a colloquial definition? How can a small mouse be a blubber gut?

- Are you part Scotch? (I was part Bourbon in younger years)
In ranch vernacular, a "ranny" is a hand of dubious worth or accomplishment... Not too sure of its etemological derivation, but there it is..

I am part Scot, part Irish, Prussian, English, Danish and Swede... Never have imbibed in industrial-strength solvents to any degree... Life has been enough, stone-cold sober... :D
Regards

Buck

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I like the Henry .22's but not the big boys of any caliber. Just can't warm up to the tube feed and blockyness - and price.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I like the Henry .22's but not the big boys of any caliber. Just can't warm up to the tube feed and blockyness - and price.
YUP!!!!!
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Buck,
Guy listen up, you have this gentlemen on here(a fellow levergunner )the guy (to him)is asking us about the Henry gun(he feels that one gun--to him)is heavier than what he wants in a gun.So you insult him saying in so many words(can't handle that extra weight)how are you going to carry out 200lbs of meat??? Come on are you kidding me.
You don't know him buck? he could be a absolute animal in the strength/shape dept and if not that shouldn't matter too,its his feeling ???

Next you are knocking those that have some extra weight on their bodies(wonder how many on here you just insulted)???? :shock:

Then you kinda trashed me on that post(guy getting shot 17 times)that's cool though!
Saying Big waste of time reading it/just for nut jobs to do on a Saturday/ so they don't do something else.
I just thought it was interesting that a .40FMJ went through the same amount of media test material as a 30-06 that's all it was ???

Every person is unique and some that might look out of shape might surprise you buck and whoever else ???

Maybe manners don't mean nothing in Wyoming to some guys ????

I am in shape/I can carry 200 of meat/ and my favorite long gun (weighs 4.5lbs)?????? :shock:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If you feel you were "trashed" because of something I said about what someone else did, you have a problem..

Last time I checked, I had just as much right to voice my opinion or recount my experience as anyone else on this board.. And I don't recall anyone appointing You arbiter of Anything I say or write.. If you go around looking for things to be offended by, you'll find no shortage of material, I assure you..if you don't like my comments, don't read them.. But you can't help yourself, can you... If the Moderators think I'm out of line, they will let me know, I'm sure...

I didn't point any fingers at specific people on the board, did I.. I talked in general terms about examples among scores that I guided.. Maybe you should concern yourself less with what someone else might find distasteful, and grow some hide... Speak only for yourself, and let others do the same.. You can't save the world, because you don't know what the real problems are... i ain't one of 'em...
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Buck Elliott wrote:
I didn't point any fingers at specific people on the board, did I..
Well ?? Let's see-------

From 1894c---------------comment of originator of post

{my only concern and criticism is that the barrel is a bull-barrel,
7 lbs, but the guys at my corner LGS weighed it themselves--it's a beast). I hope Henry Arms
puts a thinner tube on this gun, because I am somewhat interested... :}

You said Buck---------------
{if you can't pack that much gun,what are you gonna do with a couple hundred pounds of deer carcase...?
{Heaven help us all}

(Mad at the world/bad attitude at most -------------chose to quit?????????????? :wink:
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bucks comments about overweight folks that can't carry their own weight is spot on.
>I am way overweight. Trying to loose it but it's taking time.
>I "can" carry my rifle.
>I am not afraid of it in the least.
>I can shoot an animal. Have done it before, I can do it again.
>I "might" be able to carry a light pack. Although with my bad back, (diagnosed, not my imagination) I don't know how heavy or how far.
>No way in hades could I carry a 200 pound dead animal, a pack and my rifle. I'm a realist, I won't insult a guide by trying to do that witch I cannot do.
>So if I were to go on a guided hunt, all this would be out on the table before hand. The guide or PH wouldn't have to wipe my nose, or shoot my animal, or carry my gun, but the dead animal would need transportation assistance.
And no kiss on the forehead is needed .... unless some sweet young thing, female type, does it :mrgreen:

Now as for the rifle, I agree with the OP, the Henry center fires are WAY too heavy. My Marlin MR-7 with scope is more rifle than any of the Henrys and doesn't weight as much. Has more class and panache too.
For cryan out loud, I consider a Marlin 336 as too heavy for a 30-30. A 94 Win is just about right ... for me.

Hope I didn't just stick my footsie in my mouth ..... again.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If you had a business and had that attitude toward your clients/people
You would be in business for about------------------a day!
Rude is rude Joe!
If he don't get it ????------done wasting any effort on him!
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Ah, yes.. I keep forgetting that some of you New Yorkers feel you have an inalienable right to be so muh smarter and so much more "sophisticated" than those of us out here in the sticks... You would be rulers of us all, if only we would let you... Guess again..!

Did 1894c complain about my statements? Not to my knowledge.. Did I express an opinion with which you disagreed? It wuld seem so. Does 1894 need for you to defend his honor and reputation? I think not.. Are you overly-exercised over things that dont pertain directly to you..? I believe so... Do you understand the concept of the generic YOU in discussion..? Didn't think so...

When I wrote about the "penetration test" i stated an opinion.. If you don't like my syntax, get over it.. The "test" itself is relatively meaningless.. There was no "control.." the phone books were stood on end at random distance from each other.. Pages/books already traumatized by previous bullet(s) offered different resistence than virgin books or pages.. All it proved was that 10 wet phone books will not stop the bullets used in the test.. FMJ bullets perform very differently than SPs.. Bullets that exit the test medium prove only that more medium is needed for a valid comparison..but you don't understand such things and were swayed by the WOW factor alone...

I have an idea.. Let's find a panel of my true peers.. Those who have been where I've been, done what I've done, seen what I've seen, and learned what I've learned, and poll them.. Ask if they agree or disagree with my thoughts and words and feelings.. I'd venture to say that a decided majority of them would say that I have not been rough enough or pointed enough in my pronouncements..!

Leave it be..!
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got a feeling you are less country hardcore than even easy living me!
Seems like you have the time and place to use the computer all the time/probably watching the tube and just hanging.
But want us to believe your hunting goats high up on the ridge just to barely survive :lol:

Can't deal with civilization ??????????your words????????????

I believe it buck! :lol:

Maybe you should come down off those alpine slopes and maybe even find a women??(or whatever choice you have )and it might settle you down my good friend! :lol:
Try civilization,really its not that bad!
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Joe, on a guided hunt you don't have to worry about getting the meat out.. If you can help, great.. If not, that's what we're there for.. We can be flexible, within limits.. But when a guy who can't walk 100 yards without gettin.g winded demands that his guide run all over the mountain for him, while he sits behind a log and eats candy bars and takes a nap, we tend to get a little miffed.. Now, Mr. madman, THAT is the height of RUDE..!

Joe, I know you would never treat a guide that way, and so I would bust my butt for you, as much as I was able... It's a 2-way street, guys..
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Buck Elliott wrote: i began losing respect for more and more "hunters.." i will wipe no man's nose for him, or carry his pack or his lunch or his rifle.. That wasn't what I was being paid for..

Didn't have much patience with the guys who couldn't ride 5 miles without soring themselves and a horse... At the end of those hunts, ya just had to "kiss 'em on the forehead" and get 'em back to the airport... No love lost, on either side..

Carry the Meat(but not your lunch/rifle :lol: :lol: :oops:
Priceless

I have got to stop buck-------lets just let it go(I am about to pee myself) :lol:
You old hardcore ruffein you! :wink: :D
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

madman4570 wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:" i will wipe no man's nose for him, or carry his pack or his lunch or his rifle.. That wasn't what I was being paid for..
Didn't have much patience with the guys who couldn't ride 5 miles without soring themselves and a horse
Carry the Meat(but not your lunch/rifle :lol: :lol: :oops:
Priceless
You really haven't a clue, have you.. How far do you think I will carry meat..? About as far as the nearest pack horse, you nit wit.. Next time you try to be smart, you should study up a bit first.. I'm not sure you can put both feet in your mouth, but you are welcome to try... :roll:
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If I am paying you,and tell you I want that meat carried 30 miles over logs/brush/swamps/deadly snakes/enraged grizzles and their stash just because--------------and you have taken an advance on my payment----------
You will have to do it (and like it) :mrgreen: and I want to be called "SIR" before and after my name every time you use it.
You nanny goat you! :D

By God,I am going to have a shot of Wild Turkey in your honor BUCK!
cause, I love being called a nit-wit :D
1894c

Post by 1894c »

madman4570 wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:
I didn't point any fingers at specific people on the board, did I..
Well ?? Let's see-------

From 1894c---------------comment of originator of post

{my only concern and criticism is that the barrel is a bull-barrel,
7 lbs, but the guys at my corner LGS weighed it themselves--it's a beast). I hope Henry Arms
puts a thinner tube on this gun, because I am somewhat interested... :}

You said Buck---------------
{if you can't pack that much gun,what are you gonna do with a couple hundred pounds of deer carcase...?
{Heaven help us all}

(Mad at the world/bad attitude at most -------------chose to quit?????????????? :wink:
Wasn't offended--takes a whole lot more to offend me--growing up on the streets and back allies of NY does that for you--if I ever get offended by what someone write's on a forum I quit...life is way to short--just started the post to see what others think, just was amazed at how heavy the Henry 30/30 was, heavier than my Marlin 1895 45/70, I wasn't expecting that--I'll defend Buck's right to give his opinion--he's earned it...I respect everyone's right to raise their voice, disagree, or share their personal experiences... :)

Presently I work, serve, and live in the mountains--go figure... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Remarkable exchange!

Henry apparently builds a 30-30 that provokes a great deal of controversy, some of it concerning the rifle...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

i agree with buck and i hope you stay in ny madman as i have never met a guide who would put up with your stuff i sure wouldn't bet your a big time hunter in your mind.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

No offense meant to anyone.. (well maybe one guy...) My opinions, statements and experiences are exactly that -- Mine -- and are not subject to arbitration by anyone..

It was kinda fun, in a perverse way, to let him play out his string until he started slobbering on himself, and beer started coming out of his nose.. This was not my first encounter with the madman, nor will it likely be the last..

I do aplogizeto all, for allowing the thread to be hijacked..
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Yep, I sure am one!
Buck has to take it as well as give it!
Back to reality though thought his was a little rude.
If you believe those last posts(you will believe anything)
I thought the remark about the can't carry a 8lb rifle was a little over the top,and saying my post was a waste of time(I might have taken that one a little personal,just as if I said the one you wrote is a waste.(maybe he meant the author,but it felt like it was my post)
The stuff about what I said about what a guide must do??? Those that truly know me on here know that I am blowing smoke to give some back :lol:
But killing over 100 deer/3 bear/1 elk/1 moose
Guess that kinda qualifies me as a big game hunter???????
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Not in these woods, it doesn't... :lol:
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Buck Elliott wrote:Not in these woods, it doesn't... :lol:
Probably right Buck! :lol:
Actually the 100 deer is no great feat either cause I live right on the NY/Pa border and hunt both states at least most of the times.
Guess you did mean the author about that post and only you know if you did/didn't mean that 8lb heavy deal thing was not at 1894c.
You are right,if it didn't bother 1894c shouldn't involve me.The other one did bother me,but since you explained the way you meant it
Point taken.

Since I am no PH you are right in that I don't know what you have been through and feel so(we will leave that at that!
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

Fair amount of game but not that much my hunting has been limited to Texas,newmexico,Colorado , wyoming, Idaho, and Mexico. I hit that hundred mark when I was about twenty five, that was quit a few years ago. Just got back from a hunt in south Texas red stag and Texas dall sheep. Check out drz outdoors web site my dall is on there. It's picture 26 under exotics the one with the black buck just to the left is my brother.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Buck Elliott wrote:No offense meant to anyone.. (well maybe one guy...) My opinions, statements and experiences are exactly that -- Mine -- and are not subject to arbitration by anyone..

It was kinda fun, in a perverse way, to let him play out his string until he started slobbering on himself, and beer started coming out of his nose.. This was not my first encounter with the madman, nor will it likely be the last..

I do apologize to all, for allowing the thread to be hijacked..
no apologizes needed--I for one appreciate yours and all of the others who have experience and expertize that I can learn from--that's why I joined this forum--still learning...still willing to learn...Buck if you see a fast moving 2006 Crown Vic with its flashing red & blue lights behind your pick-up it ain't me...honest ... :)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

My concern as others have noted, is less the weight than the handling.

It 'feels' heavier than it should.

I've carried 30lb machine guns and 11lb 'carbines' (8lb carbine, add grenade launcher, stir), and regularly carry 9-10lb rifles, so it's not the overall weight. But the Henrys that I've handled feel chunky. They don't shoulder quickly or feel right like a Marlin or Winchester normally will.

Would I shoot one? Sure. Would i pick one first? No.

As to all the previous posting, you people need to grow up.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I wouldn't want that rifle in 30/30 (my Marlin 36 is just fine) but in 45/70 I could be interested. I've only owned one Henry a 22 levergun but that rifle was very well made, accurate beyond my abilities, and the customer service beyond reproach. I like the fact that this design uses a halfcock, and requires you to use your brain as the most important safety. I also like the factory installed XS Ghost Ring sight. Never could get used to tang safeties, and hammer-block safeties which have corrupted the classic lines and designs of something that didn't need fixing in the first place. I can get used to feeding her at the bow end of the magazine tube since I shoot my 22 levergun enough to not feel inconvenienced with this method of loading. If I can't take care of business with 4 rounds of 45/70 I don't deserve to be out in the woods anyways. I'd prefer it without the checkering and pistol grip though. Just my 2 cents given out free of charge. :D
http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

1894c wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:No offense meant to anyone.. (well maybe one guy...) My opinions, statements and experiences are exactly that -- Mine -- and are not subject to arbitration by anyone..

I do apologize to all, for allowing the thread to be hijacked..
no apologizes needed--I for one appreciate yours and all of the others who have experience and expertize that I can learn from--that's why I joined this forum--still learning...still willing to learn...Buck if you see a fast moving 2006 Crown Vic with its flashing red & blue lights behind your pick-up it ain't me...honest ... :)

ya know there are ways to say things,and there are ways that ignorant uncaring people say things.
People that have a chip on their shoulder(life is so tough on them/screw everyone etc.
Of all the post people have put on here where in relationship to someones first post(have I ever said---That post put on is worthless /waste of reading etc.)
No,I would SHUT MY MOUTH/think first then possibly say something like (I think a little differently on the subject because???)
So yes it ticked me off a little(wonder how many would get ticked off on here if their next post they posted,I responded right after (That post/information is worthless/useless===
Sure its his opinion(just like its my opinion saying that post of his was rude(what's the difference)

The Henry deal!
What company right now is making better quality guns than Henry??? (Marlin/whoever they are???)(Winchester/whoever they are)
Not the ones I am seeing so with that give me a break!
I read what I read and the crack about FAT PEOPLE/WIMPY PEOPLE not wanting to tote a heavier gun was just the usual ignorant loud mouth (gotta cut someone down/hate all people response)to get off hurting people.
Should I just say(the guy is a a## and be done with it)??? probably! But sometimes I can't.
Trust me,I hardly even drink booze/take no drugs/and I am in very good shape so the fat thing aint coming at me,its just being stupid enough that maybe if someone calls em on it(there is hope responses like that might be thought about first a little before just being put out like the garbage it is)

Am I innocent with my remarks saying what I feel(nope) but sure as he## the other yahoo isn't either.
I just can't stand rude people that get off on hurting other people because they got some mental hangup!

Here is the difference------------------Read responses from(you know who I mean)
Then read responses from another PH/Guide on this forum and see what a class act person is really like??
Grow up(I am grown)but taking bullsh## from someone's that (I hate all people stuff)that is another deal.
But I guess it's not all people(just civilization) :roll:
I have had previous run ins with Buck and surely probably will again(just have never been good at a non-caring loud mouths pretending to know it all that hates anyone but himself.
Go back and reread both posts from the beginning!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I declaire 45-70 the winner & ask for cease fire

ollogger
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

ollogger wrote:I declaire 45-70 the winner & ask for cease fire

ollogger

A Henry 45-70, of course its a winner. 8)