Target crown on my stevens favorite

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Target crown on my stevens favorite

Post by FatJackDurham »

I couldn't get my barrel unleaded on the Stevens I bought a month or so ago, so I took it to a gunsmith I know. I wanted to see if it could be cleaned ord needed to be relined. First thing he told me was that the barrel had been cut. It had no crown.

I was surprised. When he showed me a field crown and a target crown, I could see what he meant. But, why would someone have cut off the end of the barrel? They would have had to re dovetail the front site.

Anyway, for $45, he lapped the barrel and cut a target crown onto it for me. After lapping, the bore was still pretty pitted. I'll shoot it as is, it has to be better than befor, especially with a crown.
Hobie

Re: Target crown on my stevens favorite

Post by Hobie »

In the old days many barrels were just flat at the muzzle. That was the "crown".
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just wish ALL guns came with threaded muzzles, whatever 'crown' there is on them.

People more interested in cosmetics, and who are more careful than I am, could just keep a thread-protector there, flush with the barrel.

People more interested in protecting the muzzle could put a 'bird-cage' type flash-suppressor there, which would protect the muzzle far more than any type of 'crown' does.

Even just a thread-protector that protruded 1/4" beyond the barrel could give more protection than a 'crown', without spoiling the original appearance.

I know 'counterboring' the crown would do the same thing, but threads would allow more options.

Either way, since I had a gun with a nice 11-degree 'protective crown' buttstock-down on the floor and leaning on a workbench :oops: , which started to tip, and just HAPPENED to hit the corner of a vice just right so the corner of the vice nicked the inside of the muzzle, I've always thought depending on just a 'crown' was being over-optimistic.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The muzzle of my Favorite is completely flat. I am pretty sure that it has never been shortened.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

My Favorite is also flat across the muzzle. If ya look close it has the slightest bit of a chamfer at the actual bore, like they simply used a handheld deburring tool. It's original.
Certified gun nut
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

adirondakjack wrote:My Favorite is also flat across the muzzle. If ya look close it has the slightest bit of a chamfer at the actual bore, like they simply used a handheld deburring tool. It's original.
That little chamfer at the edge of the bore Is the crown.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I would be careful what else your gunsmith suggests. It sounds like he has limited experience, with "older" firearms.

If you decide to have it relined you may want to consider John Taylor. www.johntaylormachine.com He uses TJ's match grade liners and the work is nearly invisible. This is a liner job he did, on a Stevens 44 barrel.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Yeah, I was confused. I took a look at a .32 and a .25 old Stevens at a store near me, and both had field crowns. The Savage favorite had an octogon barrel with a very slightly concave crown.

Gun does shoot better, though. However, I still think I need to get it relined. I was shooting today and had another fellow at range shoot it. I sort of knew him from the Guards, he is a pretty good shot. Even still, even at 25 yards, the group was about three inches, same as mine.

I was looking at Boses for lining and rebuking. Any reviews?
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

jdad wrote:I would be careful what else your gunsmith suggests. It sounds like he has limited experience, with "older" firearms.

If you decide to have it relined you may want to consider John Taylor. http://www.johntaylormachine.com He uses TJ's match grade liners and the work is nearly invisible. This is a liner job he did, on a Stevens 44 barrel.

Wow. Very nice. The barrel is really thick.