new Winchester Model 92s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

new Winchester Model 92s

Post by AkRay »

One of the local stores has 3 or 4 of the new Winchester 92s on the rack. They have 16" or so barrels, and a sliding safety on the tang. The guy told me they were chambered in 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt. They were blued and the stocks were wood but looked pretty plain. A couple of them had large loop levers. I guess I haven't been paying close attention since I haven't heard anything about these coming out. Price on these was a little over a grand each. I looked, but didn't ask to touch since they were all locked up with a cable that went the length of the gun rack. They looked handy though.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: new Winchester Model 92s

Post by J Miller »

I don't know if they are current production or just very recent but they are made by Miroku in Japan to Browning's specs. According to all who have bought them they are very high quality products.

The only complaints are an occasional unit will have tolerance problems and be prone to light primer strike misfires.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

The New Winchester 92 is currently being produced. Saw several configurations at the Shot Show, including a neat little take down version. Excellent quality. Easily the Cadillac of 92s. :D

I have one of the short rifles, and really enjoy it. I have had no problems or complaints with mine. As Joe mentioned, they are made in Japan by Miroku, the same folks who built the Browning 92s. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

japchesters are nice quality guns but not worth over a grand....too me anyway
If it were me.....I would by an original
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I recently got a new Winchester 1892 Trapper in .357 just because it was set up at the factory in the configuration which I personally prefer (standard lever, shotgun buttplate and rifle forend). It is easily the nicest carbine of the type that I have purchased NIB in the last 25 years: the build quality is first-rate... which explains the MSRP.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

deafrn wrote:...the build quality is first-rate... which explains the MSRP.
That and the license fee to Olin Corp. for the use of the Winchester name! :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

Griff wrote:
deafrn wrote:...the build quality is first-rate... which explains the MSRP.
That and the license fee to Olin Corp. for the use of the Winchester name! :P :twisted:
Well, maybe that too!

Part of my "day job" deals with "official product licensing" by a number of household (and "farm household") names; the latitude in requirements/royalties has narrowed a bit in the last few years but is still considerable. One of the inside jokes a few years back was that a certain big player was not a (product) manufacturer with a licensing department attached to it, but a licensing department with a (product) manufacturer attached to it.

(I no longer have to deal with that particular "licensing department with a (product) manufacturer," and everyone involved sleeps better at night for it.)
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Deafrn, that sounds like all the products I see that say John Deere on them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Do the new 92s have a rebounding hammer along with the tang safety?

Can you even have a tang safety without a rebounding hammer?

I honestly don't mind a tang safety, but I don't like a rebounding hammer so I don't have any rifles with one. I have a Browning 92, and it is a very fine rifle that is right.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, they have the rebounding hammer. It would be posible to modify the rebound, or install a Browning or Rossi hammer setup and notch it for the tang safety. Or you could take it off, and fill the slot with some filler you like (Ji did a nice fill on a 94) or cover it with a tang sight for a non-tang safety gun, thereby completly covering the slot. If you d&t for the front screw, it goes in the front of the safety slider slot.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

From past experience of having guns available to buy but passing on them when they were right in front of me on the dealer's shelf, I'm thinking that these lever actions will command top dollar 10-15 years from now. That's when today's price tag will seem very reasonable in comparison. While they do have a tang safety and rebounding hammer, I don't think that's as bad as the Clinton hole on Smith & Wesson revolvers. They also say Winchester and Model 92 on them so they will not only hold but increase in value.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Rusty wrote:Deafrn, that sounds like all the products I see that say John Deere on them.
John Deere makes a '92? Sign me up!