Old Stevens double 235

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Old Stevens double 235

Post by 33wcfshooter »

I just picked up a Stevens 235 hammered double 12 ga. I can't find much about this gun and hope some of you might have a old cat. or reprint and can help me with some info. The barrels have been reblued and they look to be steel (local smith says there good fluid steel but with short chambers 2 5/8 and safe with 2.1/2" shells) but some internet searches say they were all twist or laminate. Does anyone have any info on this? If there good steel (like my local smith says) how about using the chamber inserts for 12 to 410 with 2.1/2" 410's to keep pressures down and be able to get shells here locally (2.1/2" 12's are hard to come by around here)? Anyone with any info or ideas if this will work help will be greatly appreciated.
Hobie

Re: Old Stevens double 235

Post by Hobie »

No "OT" please. Thanks.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

I have one that I've been using for years. With 2" 3/4 Remington hi-brass 6 shot, it just hammers a pheasant. I switch to 7 1/2 shot for partridge, because I need all the help i can get when it comes to hitting them on the wing! :lol:
They are good, solid guns. You also get quite a few comments from folks when you show up to hunt with them. :D
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That gun was offerred with fluid steel barrels and it was usually marked on it. Taking it to 2.75 is easily done but you would still have to feed it ammo on the light side out of caution. Most I have seen are off face so you should check that first. Another common problem is the striker holes (firing pin holes) are oblong and oversized. This allows gas to travel back into the firing pin area. A bad result would be the wood finger blowing off and hitting you in the face. The holes can be fixed to the proper size easily too. You can get RST or PolyWad ammunition in 2.5" (65mm) and 67mm and B&P comes in 67mm. Getting a case of the proper sized ammo is a matter of making an order and paying for it. Another option is to use Winchester Feather Lite ammo. It is 2 3/4" but with 26 grams of shot at 990 fps the pressure is so low you can shoot it in that shotgun. Of course, the application would be somewhat limited but it is a hammer on skeet and works well on dove and quail if you limit shots to 25 yards or so.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

86er, you have me concerned. I bought mine 8 or 9 years back and have shot it quite a bit. I originally got it with an eye to start CAS shooting, but couldn't get the weekends off to do it. I also have two friends that own them too. One hunts with his, another uses his for CAS. It was described to me, in a nutshell, as a "311 with hammers". Mine is tight and has never given me any indication of any wear or tear around the breach or the barrells. Are we shooting a potential bomb?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

NO - there are some very old 235's that do come off face and char the firing pin holes (as with any old double really). Many were used with BP cartridges, 2.5" cartridges and 2.75" cartridges (maybe even 3"). Most will easily chamber and fire 2.75" so users conclude it must be okay. If it is not excessivley worn, there are no or minor barrel pits and it is fed appropriate ammo there is no reason not to shoot it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

Thanks, 86er, for the info. I appreciate it.