Dad or grandpa's guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Dad or grandpa's guns

Post by hightime »

Guns that you miss went over well and this is somewhat the same, except maybe you still have 'em. Tell me about them or show us pictures.

I don't have any of my grandfather's guns, but I have some of my Dad's that are special to me.

A side by side JC Higgins 16 ga.
His '46 300 Sav. 99

I gave his '56 Model 70 308 to my son
And his Stevens 22 auto.

Owen
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Dad or grandpa's guns

Post by iceman »

I have my Dad's model 67 single shot 22 and his Remington 870 20 ga. The 870 has a 26" modified choke vent rib barrel and has taken alot of partridge in its day.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I have my Dad's first 22 he got for his 16th. birthday in 1943
It's a Sears Ranger tube feed bolt action...a lot of ground hogs taken with it since then.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Rem 541-S circa 1974
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have my Great Grandfather's Winchester 73 carbine (38-40). He purchased it new in 1885.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Owen
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I have my father's Rem 511, his two 1911's (Colt Series 80 and a Remington-Rand), and a pair of Colt DA revolvers ... a Detective Special and Official Police. I learned to shoot with his 511 as did my sons. In fact, my 8 year old daughter and I took it shooting this past weekend for the first time. We also took a Marlin 1897 which she preferred due to the Redfield 62 sight out front.

I also have my Grandfather's Savage .32 Auto. I've never fired that one.

And I have my Great Grandfather's S&W .32 ... not sure of the model but it's a DA with a swing-out cylinder. The nickel on that one has seen better days.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have my Uncle's WWII era Win 72 (bolt .22....poor man's Mdl 52)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Granpa B's guns:

Springfield '03 Sporter.
Arisaka Sporter in .257 Roberts.
Colt Match Target .22lr
(My Dad is still hanging on to several others)

Granpa S's guns:
Colt Official Police .38 Spl.
Winchester 92/ 44-40
Winchester 94 / 38-55

Dad's given me a bunch of stuff.
Savage Stevens Favorite
Remington 1903A3
Marlin .410 Single shot
Uberti .36 Navy revolver.
Winchester model 12, 20 Ga.
Sako .222 Remington.
The above mentioned Sporters.
Harper's Ferry 1842 Musket.
Colt 1911 Combat Elite ( Graduation present)
Colt .38/200 (Lend Lease revolver).
Stoeger Luger .22lr ( Traded for an S&W Model 17 .22 LR)
Enfield No. 4 MK II
Enfield No. 1 Mk III
Navy Arms .45-70 Rolling block(this years B-day present).
I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

My Mom Bought me a Marlin .450M! let's not forget the Ladies! :D
( And my Uncle gave me an almost new S&W Model 29 still in the mahogany case)

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Dad gave me a 94 in a 375
Uncle gave a 88 in a 308
both Grandpas 1 French 1 German had 1 shotgun each, I guess
raiseing a family in the 20s & 30s would do that,tuff times for sure.

shotgun would
do it all

ollogger
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My paternal grandfather I was told had a matched pair of 12 gauge Parker shotguns , one for skeet and one for trap . I was also told he had a nice VHE 16 gauge Parker to bird hunt with !
Sadly I never saw any of the three , I think the depression got them all !

My maternal grnadfather left ALL his firearms to me !
He told me 10 years before he passed that I was the only grandson he had that gave a darn about guns . I think he may have underestimted my younger cousin .
My favourite is the W.C.Scott 10 gauge SxS damascus gun I use to dove hunt now and have killed a deer with . He recieved this gun from MArion DuPont Scott . She owned Montpelier the home of James Madison in Ornage County Virginia . Her second husband was the movie cowboy Randolph Scott . Mrs.Scott gave the shotgun to my grnadfather back in the late 40's or early 50's .He used it mostly to shoot hawks .
He also left me a Remington 722 222 REM with a Weaver K-10 on he bought new in 1958 , he paid a fraction under $120 for the rifle . scope and mounts .
He left me a M1 Carbine he had purchased from the NRA back about 62 or 63 for the ungodly sum of about $17.50 . He left me a Colt Scout Buntline Special he purchased new in 1962 (I was told he ordered this right after I was born in july of 61 and it didn't appear until 1962). The revolver was a 9 1/2" barrel and just a 22LR cylinder although he made a set of walnut target grips for it I still have the box , owners manual and original grips . He gave me a Winchester Model 1890 22 short pump he and his brother bought new in the mid to late 1920's (he gave me that when I graduated HS) . He left me a couple old Iver Johnson single barrels and a410 bolt action . He also left me a little Ruger 44R carbine with a Weaver K3 on top , my grandmother gave him the rifle for Xmas in 1975 and my parenst gave him the scope the same year . Seems to me the rifle was $110 and the scope was about $35 from J&G Rifle Ranch in Prescott AZ . The last gun that he gave me is a 6.5mm Arisaka he brought back from the Philippines in 1946 , I still have 7 or 8 rounds of military ammo he brought back with the rifle . He often told me that when he got on the ship to return stateside he had over a 1,000 rounds of ammo stowed away of which they were not supposed to bring back . Anyway he said once or twice each week a rumor would go around that they were gonna toss the ship looking for contraban so each time he would throw a little more over the side . I think he told me when he finally got back to VA he had maybe 100 rounds left !
Oh I forgot he left me one more gun when he passed ! A Savage Model 333 O/U 12 gauge , after he died I asked my younger male cousin if he would like one of our grandfathers guns and he said yes so I let him have the Savage .

As to my fathers guns , he's still alive and his and mine are kinda intermixed !
And since I have no brothers or sisters it doesn't really matter !
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have my dad's pellet pistol. He didn't own any others. My grand fathers non shootable SxS I attempted to restore and I didn't do a good job.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grandfather's 'deer-rifle' was a Marlin 1889 in .32-20 :o

It's mine now ( 8) ) and although the bore is pitted badly, I do shoot it a bit.
(I've thought about a re-line, or even a re-line/rechamber in .218 Bee or .25-20...)
Here it is next to it's own 'great grandson'...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S. (for Joe and other scopelophobes on the forum... :wink: )

...don't worry, the 'carrying handle' on the 1894 was just so I could bench-shoot it and see its potential without the 'old-eyes' factor; it shot 1" at 50 yards with gun-shop 'cowboy' reloads, so now it wears a Williams FP with a 'target' knob on the elevator, since the cartridge does have a sort of rainbow-trajectory.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

From my Dad:

It was given to him by his uncle. A couple of years ago I restored the handguard as my great uncle bobbed it for hunting - very common at the time. Fortunately, the barrel was left alone :)

He's also given me a few other nice ones - a 1917 Colt and a nice old Rem Model 11, 12 guage.

He's got one levergun from family which is an old M39 Marlin - very nice.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Two that are of special significance. A beautiful P-08 complete with shoulder stock/holster and snail drum magazine. And, a late war production P-38. Both were bring backs. Wish I had the paperwork, but that disappeared long ago. I shoot the P-38 on ocassion, but have never brought myself to fire the P-08.

There are a few rifles and shotguns and one S&W Triple Lock, but the two above represent a time in dad's life when life itself was far from a sure thing.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

O.S.O.K.,

That URL is a little long, as flickr makes things very inconvenient to easily do anything. Several other Web sites are just as bad. If Hunt101 ever gets back online, then I will see if they really improved themselves. Here is your photo:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4135/4812 ... 88dd_b.jpg

Neat rifle!

Shawn

p.s.

You beat me to it!
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've only got a Stevens bolt action 22 from my Dad. Nothing from any other relatives. My Dad had a few guns and most of them were stolen years ago. He still has a pre '64 Win. Model 70 in 270 that hopefully I'll get someday.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks Hagler- yeah, saw that and fixed it.

There sure are some nice guns in this thread = and it's good to know that they are flowing down the family trees out there! But of course, that's what I'd expect to see on this board.

I've already started with my kids and intend to keep it up - at least for a while and then when the grand kids come around... I can do some more :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I have my dads High Standard HD Military .22 that he shot his first Jap soldier with.

I also have the last 1911 he bought, a Springfield.

Cat
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My dad only really had 1 gun, a Marlin Glenfield 30A that my brother has now. My dad has only given me 3 guns in my life, one a WINCHESTER 37 12 GA that was stolen from me while in deer camp, a S&W 19, and a MARLIN 1894 44 mag. I still have the Smith and the 1894, and money cant buy them. I plan to pass them to my daughters. Unfortunately, I am 46 yrs old and have not been an heir to a gun that belonged to my dad or grandfather.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I've got a 37A .410 that one grandpa bought me.
A 1917 Enfield that my other grandpa left me.
From my dad I got his 788 .243, his 190 .22, and an Ariska in .300 savage. These were all he had when I grew up, actually the .243 was mine first and he bought it from me and used it for the last 20 years.

Byron
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My Dad died when I was 16, and we divided his collection between myself and my two brothers shortly afterwards. Within a few years, I purchased the guns from both brothers, who just weren't "gun guys" like me.

My paternal grandfather passed away before I was born. From what I can tell, the last time he fired a gun was in World War I. I found out after my maternal grandfather died that he did have one handgun. My grandmother gave it to me, and I gave it to Y2K (well, set it aside for him), so he'd have his great grandfather's gun! :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Two guns that absolutely without question my (guns of my soul)

1) My grandfather's gun he bought new in Jan of 1938 in Elmira,NY for several very nice hogs he traded for.
A Winchester 1937 M37 12ga 28" barrel (rare modified choke)Red Label.

This was the gun I started hunting with(It hung over grandpa's door and it seems about every time I went there I pulled it down and off I went.I have killed more game with that gun than all my others combined.
Because of it's balance and slim profile it is still about my favorite walking gun.Wouldn't sell it for (nothing)
When carrying it walking my dog have a one 00 buck in the tube and because its so slim have another round (Brenekee 500gr Green Lighting in same carry hand between index and middle finger. (Don't fear nothing with it)

2) Springfield Armory M1 Garand that dad brought home from WWII
Guess don't have to explain that one much! :wink:
Had it plugged and was first deer gun I used at age 12 for several years hunting deer/bear on Cahill Mnt. in Overton,Pa
Boy it seemed heavy.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

not a thing :cry:
more's the pity. :roll:

some of ya'll got some good memories though. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Mom gave Dad a Winchester '94 30 WCF carbine in 1957; he passed away in 1972 when I was seven. That rifle may be more common than anything in my cabinet, but its my most prized gun. Second would be his father's single shot Marlin .22 bolt gun. Granddad picked that rifle up in the late '20s or early '30s, and both he and Dad used it to add meat to the larder (squirrels and such) during the Great Depression. There's nothing at all fancy about the rifle, its just a low priced farmer's gun, but like the Winchester it is priceless to me. I can't wait for my twin boys to come of shooting age so they can shoot their grandaddy and great-grandaddys' rifles.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

The gun of my father's I miss was an old bolt action .22 not even sure of the brand.It had a cocking piece similar to a 1903 Springfield,a finger groove stock,a knurled bolt that held it in the stock and was tube feed.Dad was amazing to me with that rifle but he sent it to be blued and it was stolen in the process-the gunsmith gave him a nylon 66 to replace it which I now have.Would still rather have the old rifle back.
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i have my grandfather's m94 winnie for about 50 yrs and still shoot it
and i have my wife's grandfather's Remington 760 deluxe classic 30-06
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I have my father's only gun, a Remington model 511 .22 bolt gun; and my grandfather's Win model 97 12ga.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My grandfather (PaPa) only owned three guns (at least later in life that I was aware of); a Colt Police Positive in 38 Special, Belgian Browning Sweet Sixteen, H&R Topbreak 22.

I was told by my Dad that PaPa was issued the Colt by the State of Louisiana when he was a game warden during the "Trapper's War" in the mid 1920s. The H&R 22 was used to dispatch animals caught in his traps, and the Sweet Sixteen was used for all other hunting, deer, ducks, geese, rabbits...

My cousin lived closest to him and got to spend alot more time with him than I did and (rightfully so) was left the Browning and the H&R. He left me the Colt and holster that he carried it in, plus an almost full box of 38 Long Colts. The revolver was still loaded with 38LC when my aunt got it down from the top closet shelf to give to me after he died in 1991.

My Dad, however, owned several guns and the week before he finally succumbed to cancer, in 2003, he gave me a list of how they were to be divided between me, my brother, four of five sons-in-law (#5 is rabidly anti-gun), two grandsons, and a neighbor (fellow retired USAF officer, best friend and favorite duck hunting partner).

My share was 16 assorted rifles, shotguns and pistols... a few of which I have already passed down to my son... Thanks Dad!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

No Grandpa guns, but I've got my father's Inland M1 Carbine and Win 69A. These effectively became mine in my childhood and teens, heirlooms passed on while he was still with us. Sadly, his custom Fabrique Nationale .270 got stolen while under my "care" later on--made for him while on assignment in Wiesbaden Germany in 1951. Ditto, same theft claimed his S&W Victory .38, I carried for years--much nicer than the average V's. I have plans to reclaim his ca 1955 Ithaca 37 12 Ga from my friend I sold to several years ago--in fact Have since considered it still mine under his temporary storage :)
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I WISH that I had the Inland M1 carbine that my dad carried from 1943-44 in the Pacific theater, but when the Marines pulled out they were asked to leave their service issued weapons behind... BUT, what I did get from my father was his Winchester 1917 30-06 and his Winchester Model 37 Single-shot 12 guage.

Then there's Great Grandpa's 1876 Winchester lever action that he carried as a young man while a 12 horse-and-wagon teamster (driver) for a mining outfit in the 1880's. That rifle saw some action when the teamsters were attacked in Central Idaho while bringing a big load of gold ore out of the mountains. The fore arm of that 1876 rifle still carries the scars of some rough usage in that adventure, but those scars have long-ago been worn smooth by 4 generations of hand carry.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Wow, what a story. This is a great read.

As stated earlier, my gun history started with my Dad's guns in the 1940's. I have them and they were a big deal. I know they fed us on the poor farm. Legal or not.
His Dad had to have used at least one gun to get by in the remote spot that they lived, but I know nothing of that. I sure wish I did. Those two generations are all gone. No one to ask. I vow to keep records and the guns that I use and I have from my Dad and pass the guns and the story's to the next.

Owen
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sadly, my father, raised in NY City, wasn't into firearms at all and neither was his dad so I had to learn about them from my best friend's dad who took us shooting and hunting. That said, I've made sure that both my son and daughter, as well as my wife, learned how to safely use and enjoy firearms. My son has shown the real interest and has purchased a number of his own.

I reload for every caliber we have together except 22lr and he's been learning to reload on my XL650 so that he'll be able to affordably shoot too. I've already told the family that my entire firearm collection as well as my reloading equipment and components are going to him when I'm too old to shoot anymore. They all agree and he's excited to add my firearms and reloading stuff to his collection.

My dad never realized that he'd missed out on a really great hobby that both he and his son could have enjoyed doing together. He didn't understand that spending time with his son formed a strong bond that he could use to pass on a the right way for a man to live his life. I'm not making that same mistake.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
PEteacher
Levergunner

Post by PEteacher »

Thanks for this post. I very rarely have anything to share with you all.

My dad died unexpectedly, suddenly, and peacefully four days ago at a very healthy 84 years young. He was my hero. He had had an excellent day, doing several of the things he loved. He sat down for a short rest before going out to split firewood then head for his deer blind. His bride of over 60 years was in her recliner beside his when either Dad, or his beloved Jesus decided he had split enough wood. So he silently went Home. I will cherish his 6" S&W model 57 .41 magnum. He left a safe full of various guns that will be enjoyed by family members and friends at his range we recently built on his farm. As grandkids and certain friends become of age, I know my mom will have us pass on some of his guns to them.

Thanks for letting me share a wonderful man with you,
Jeff
"Don't ask what the world needs you to do. Instead, find what makes you come alive and do that, because what the world needs is people who are alive."
from "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Jeff, I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

I have my maternal grandfather's remington 721 in 270WCF and my paternal grandfather's colt 22 pistol. Can't remember at the moment but its either a Woodsman or Huntsman. Neither of these will ever be sold.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

There is only one rifle that fits this criteria. My Uncle Bill's Lee Enfield. He served in Sicily, Italy, Holland, and Germany carrying one for 5 years. The govt. sold them to the returning vets cheap for thier farms and homesteads. He carved a farm out of the wildest bush with his Dutch war bride, fed a family and defended his home on a couple of occasions with that rifle. After his death and the tragic unexpected loss of my cousin it seems to be lost. I'm searching hard as it has no meaning to anyone else.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Dang, this thread ain't fair. My dad was a hippie. I got his bible, does that count?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Lostowl05661 wrote:Dang, this thread ain't fair. My dad was a hippie. I got his bible, does that count?
Does in my book. I got my Gramma's Bible, noone wanted it! Rifles go before that Bible does.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Lostowl05661 wrote:Dang, this thread ain't fair. My dad was a hippie. I got his bible, does that count?
More than most folks would know.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Jeff, You had a neat Dad and I cryed reading your story. I didn't have my Dad arround very long, It sounds like your Dad a great friend. I'm glad that he was moble to the end.

Owen
Win71
Levergunner

Post by Win71 »

I inherited two guns from my Dad, both before his passing 16 years ago. The first one was his deer rifle, a Winchester Model 71, .348 WCF, standard configuration, long tang. Dad bought the Model 71 in 1945 after returning from Europe after WWII, it was hanging over a bar, for sale in Mackinaw City, Michigan. The old Winchester has accounted for nearly 100 Michigan whitetail by both Dad and myself. The second gun is a Beretta Model 1934, .380 acp. The Beretta was captured by Dad from an Italian solder in Tunisia, North Africa in 1943 after a battle in the Sedjunienne Valley against German and Italian forces. Dad carried this little weapon as his sidearm through the remainder of the war in Invasions of Sicily, Normandy, Heurtgen Forest, Battle of the Bulge and Remagen Bridge. The Beretta was also used by Dad as his backup gun while a police officer in Cheboygan. Michigan for several years after the war. These two guns will never part company from my family, nor will the memory of Dad. Image Image
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

The only gun my dad ever bought for himself was a Sears (Marlin) JC Higgins .22 bolt gun. He gave it to me when I was about 9 or 10, and I have since given it to my oldest.

Once I was grown I gave my dad a few guns ...

Smith & Wesson Model 63 (22 kit gun)
Marlin 39A
Remington 870 Special Field

I got them all back when dad passed, I gave the 870 to my brother. He used to borrow it from dad and hunted with it quite a bit.

I will never part with the little Smith and the 39A.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I've got grandads old win 94 in .32 octagon bbl. that someone cut down to carbine length and half magazine tube. He bought it used like that sometime before the depression. I wish I could of asked more about it but he's been gone for years now. The rifle was made in 1907, I've taken four deer with it in the last couple years.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Walks with Gun`s Win. 32 SP. that was his Grandfathers.
We just made a new front sight for it.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

I have my G Grandfather's 1911 He carried in France in 1917 and broght home. 71 fan, was your Dad a Ranger? My Grandfather saw action in the same places and he was in the 3rd Ranger battaln end of war. Spent som time with Darby's rangers also. Had both sets of jump wings. American and Canadian. He was a real feisty old fellow. Later, moodyholler
Win71
Levergunner

Post by Win71 »

moodyholler, if you're talking to me, the answer is no to my Dad being a Ranger. Dad was in the 60th Infantry Regment of the 9th Division, 3rd Army under General George S. Patton in North Africa (awarded Silver Star) and Sicily. Then in Europe the same 9th Division was attached to the 1st Army and was then commanded by General Omar Bradley from Normandy through Germany. Dad was a 1st sergeant in both North Africa and in Europe. He was wounded in action in St. Lo, France, 8 days after D-Day and again at the Battle of the Bulge (awarded Purple Heart).
Win9410
Levergunner

Post by Win9410 »

When my dad, a WWII vet, passed 20 years ago, my brother and I shared his firearms. Dad loved hunting, but wasn't a big "gun guy." Nevertheless, he had some opinions about guns that have influenced me to this day. To Dad, Winchester made the best rifles, but he didn't care for their shotguns. To that end, we all had Winchester rifles, and Remington shotguns. As his sons got to age 12, each of us would be given a Winchester, in either .243 or .308. My oldest brother had a pre'-64 .243 Featherweight made and purchased in 1960. My brother Rod and I were given Model 88's, his a Pre '64, as we were both lefties. Dad somehow knew I would be a lefty at the early age of 3, at least that's when he bought my Model 88 in 1971.
I just took an inventory of Winchesters that I have and the count is 30, no doubt his influence has been great, and I thank him for it. Additionally, the only "traditional" Winchester shotguns I have are a Model 12 16 gauge, and a Model 42 .410. Currently, I hunt almost exclusively with a Win. 9410, but I own 3 Remington shotguns.

Materially, I received the following guns from Dad:

Pre '64 Model 70 Featherweight in .270 - I did harvest a deer with it in 1996 near his cabin in Potter County, PA. Surprisingly, he preferred a post 64 M70 in .243 that my brother now has.

Remington 870 Wingmaster - 12 Gauge

S&W K-22 Masterpiece

Winchester Model 43 - .218 Bee

Most importantly, I inherited his love of hunting, especially rabbits.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My Dad gave me his Rem 870 Wingmaster that was purchased on the day of my birth, a Savage 220B single shot 12b that he found, and a Wards Westernfield .22 pump that he was given by his godfather.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

He was gun shopping with his wife in that condition? More power to him.

Owen
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Got a rifle and a shotgun from each Grandfather. They were products of the Depression and were economy minded. The H and R on Left belonged to my Mom's Dad and the Winchester 37 third from left belonged to my Dad's Dad, both in 12 Gauge. Recieved a rifle from each as well, surplus from the 50's.....a BSA Australian Cadet and a 94 Swede in 6.5.

Have my Dad's Stainless steel Security Six for which I need a picture. It has the 2 3/4" barrel. Also have to include my Uncle John's Flat Top as he acted as a Father to me growing up:

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8