Christmas Henry

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bdhold

Christmas Henry

Post by bdhold »

I told you guys Christmas wasn't until Wednesday for my daughter and me.
She was happy with her new Henry .22
and the sundries

We finally got to the range this afternoon
I only took these two photos when were setting up

She shot well at 25 yards with the new rifle, Irons were new to her, used to shooting peep sights, and she consistently centered after she got the sight image down.
While she was doing that, I was dialing in the Creedmoor on my '85 .22 to 75 yards and finally consistently hit around the center diamond after half a box. (It was a tough sight image for me, my target stand was shaded by the berm)
When she asked for a turn on the '85, we moved her target stand out 50 yards, and she shot the diamond out of the target.
While she was doing that, I was very happy with the half-inch groups my BRB .357 was giving me at 75 yards.
Also, she finished out with BRB (and cowboy loads) until her shoulder cried uncle.
More good times.

Next up is working out sight options for the Henry...
This is fun.
Last edited by bdhold on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Christmas Henry

Post by Nath »

Brilliant, nice report.

Quality time, perfect.

Looks like good weather!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Excellent!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

yes, it was cold at the beginning of the week, but we're sweating this afternoon, and will hit 80 again tomorrow.
It won't last, but it's also why we live in s. Texas...

p.s. - I should have bought her a brick. While I was shooting through a half-box in the .85, she shot through 3 boxes in the Henry. (teasing, i've got ammo...)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bulldog,

Good on you. There is nothing I like more than seeing a smile on a youngsters face.

You may have ammo now, but you'd best stock up anyway. My hunch tells me that young lady is gonna go through it pretty fast. :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Good on you two, nice rifle ya got there. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent gift, and a great time with your daughter at the range.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My grandson has the same Henry and it is a deadly accurate little rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
1894c

Post by 1894c »

took my youngest shooting for the first time last week--she had a blast and wants her own rifle--I'm looking at Henry too... :)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Priceless experience, excellent. :D
PS. Your daughter looks real professional behind that Henry. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Nice gun for the daughter. :D :D Is that a Brooks saddle from england? If so that was also an awesome gift. :D :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Brooks saddle and there were cork grips in her stocking. Her bike also has a Cateye speedo and tach, to keep her reminded about her spin - otherwise she pumps and coasts and wears herself out - gotta keep her spinning.
Our last ride, she rode 10.5 miles - not bad for a 12-y-o
Here's Dad and his old Raleigh, tweaked out for an old man
game keeper wrote:Your daughter looks real professional behind that Henry. 8)
Both of my girls fly fish, but I've made a point never to make it a lesson. It was their initiative. I took them to the river, made sure they had fun, could fish if they chose, and I gave them pointers (started with grasshoppers and ultralight gear - mostly vintage - when they were 2-3). My younger, on this thread, is ready for a new pointer - how to palm the reel - she broke off a huge trout last time out. It was enough to make her quit, and we came home. And that was fine. We talked about it, and I think she will be ready next time. (I learned a long time ago that fishing is filled with missed opportunities, and you have to count them as just as good as any part of the day.)

When she started shooting her pellet gun, the shooting habits she developed were flawless. (She even developed her own seated shooting position, with the barrel resting on her closed knees and consistently hit 9/10 bullseyes at 10m). Maybe it was because I was so firm with the rules on this one, she respected their importance. I told her if she ever pointed it at anyone in jest, the pellet gun went in the trash.
Her finger points straight down the barrel until her target image is set, then methodically moves to the trigger. Her breathing is better than mine.
This was Thanksgiving weekend at the range.
Yesterday at the range, an LEO and his girlfriend took up the adjacent stands.
My baby was shooting the .357 baby (cowboy loads) and I was behind on the truck bed cleaning the other rifles. The officer kept glancing at me like I wasn't doing my job.
But my job's already been done here.
When the barrels were swabbed out, I sat down at the spotting scope and called her shots.
It was fun watching her punch the paper, especially when I could call a bullseye for her.
Last edited by bdhold on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Brooks saddle's are the best, very comfortable once they get broke in. I have a few they
are :D the best money can buy for a bike seat IMHO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Absolutely agree - you forget they're there - and are worth every gram they weigh.
(if you want to break them in in a hurry, rub a little neatsfoot oil on the bottom.)

BTW, she shot for 3 hours yesterday, and we left when she called it, but we were definitely having fun.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Way cool! 8)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bulldog, kudos on you for getting out there with your daughters. Three hours of range time with your daughter is unbelieveable. Although, when I go to the range three hours seem like one. Has she ever thought about competition? She looks like she has good form and weld to the buttstock.
Old Law Dawg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

win38-55 wrote:Brooks saddle's are the best, very comfortable once they get broke in. I have a few they
are :D the best money can buy for a bike seat IMHO.
My Mom and Dad first met when they both worked for Brooks saddles before World War 2.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.