Do you like pump rifles?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Do you like pump rifles?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

If lever-actions aren't the only flavor of root beer you are fond of, there is a related board devoted to pump rifles here:
http://forum.pumprifle.org/
I didn't know it existed until Earl pointed it out to me. Just a heads up.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Do you like pump rifles?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks. I like pumps but not as much as levers if you go by the number of each in my collection :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It just seems more 'natural' for a pump-gun to be a shotgun, but I've read the posts on here about some awesome accuracy from pump rifles.

I sometimes wonder if they made a lever-action shotgun that was as smooth and short-of-stroke as a '94 or 336, if I'd cotton to the notion of a lever-gun 12 gauge. I guess I just figured that the 12 gauge format is going to be sort of ungainly and clunky unless in a semiauto (and the only time I ever shot a semiauto shotgun it kept jamming), so for me a 'pump-gun' is a shotgun, and a 'lever-gun' is a rifle.

One of these days I'll have to get a good pump-action rifle, and see if I can cross that fence... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

For a while Remington had a really nice .223 pump that used AR mags. My uncle's Savage .30-30 pump is really nice too. I think a mag fed one would make a prettr decent PC MBR...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Some of those old pump .22lr rifles were pretty good back about 70 or 80 years ago.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Bill in Oregon wrote:If lever-actions aren't the only flavor of root beer you are fond of, there is a related board devoted to pump rifles here:
http://forum.pumprifle.org/
I didn't know it existed until Earl pointed it out to me. Just a heads up.
Thanks for the tip.
ED
Yer never too old
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have had a couple of pump rifles. Both of the Remington flavor in 308 win. One was a rifle the other a carbine. The riflle I got rid of because I didn't like the factory sights ( I couldn"t stop the blade from moving no matter how I tried to tighten the lock screw). The second because I missed a nice deer with it. I had a buck run across in front of my truck and head into a swampy spot. I parked , grabbed the mag and closed the action. I found the buck almost right away and he gave me a reasonable shot, when I fired all I heard was CLICK, and so did he and I never saw him again. The problem was not the rifle but the operator, I did not have the action all the way back and did not pick up a round when I closed the action. Both rifles had good accuracy and probably I would still have the carbine, but I'm a lever fan and any excuse to trade for another lever is good enough for me.
They are VERY popular in my area and if I ever see one in 35 rem I would probably be hard pressed not to buy it, I just don't go looking for them.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:It just seems more 'natural' for a pump-gun to be a shotgun.

I guess I just figured that the 12 gauge format is going to be sort of ungainly and clunky unless in a semiauto (and the only time I ever shot a semiauto shotgun it kept jamming), so for me a 'pump-gun' is a shotgun, and a 'lever-gun' is a rifle.

Hmmm obviousely you need a shotgun education :lol:

REAL shotguns are side by side (IE Parkers , Fox's , British guns etc) , a secondary form of the shotgun is the over and under (IE Browning Superposed , Remington 32 , Krieghoff 32 & 80 , as well as the Boss and Woodward ) . Also there were a few single barrel shotguns of note (IE the Parker , Ithaca and Fox single barrels for trap shooting ) . Those are real shotguns for the dedictaed bird/trap/skeet/sporting shooter !!!!!!

Now all my BS aside pumps are okay shotguns if thats what you like and the same can be said for semi auto's ! I believe it or not have owned a few of both !
But unless I'm mistaken there isn't a pump or semi auto in this house at the moment , but we might have a SxS or two and the same can be said for the O/U's and single barrels .
As to lever action shotguns Winchester made two models in 10 gauge and 12 gauge although they had rather long lever travel if my limited memory of handling them is correct . Also had one of the Marlin 336 410's again an okay gun but not exactly what a true shotgun shooter would want .

While many consider deep in the old south the place for real shotguns Virginia still had plenty birds and bird hunters back in the day . So if one is semi fortunate you can still luck up on some mighty nice SxS's and O/U's floating around here :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

How can anyone not like an old Remington model 14 or 141 in 35 Rem. 8)
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Just my .02...

I really like the old centerfire Remington Model 25's. That was a really neat rifle and one I have yet to own. Winchester pretty much dominated the rimfire pump market. There is nothing like the Model 61. It was the first to be chambered in 22 WMR.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

casastahle wrote:How can anyone not like an old Remington model 14 or 141 in 35 Rem. 8)
Yes indeed. And the 30 Remington that you also find them in is identical in case capacity and has the same beautiful long neck as our beloved 30wcf, too.

And that model 12 or 121 pump 22, especially if you find one with the cool peep sight, is a slick item in that same Remington flavor.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Years ago I had a pretty decent .25 Remington pump, it shot good and real accurate. Ammo had to ordered from some place in Texas, as usual it got traded for something else. It was a good rifle to carry on my horse.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hobie,
It's time for the bragging rights photo, of that 12CS. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Yes.
I have a 1890 Winchester .22WRF takedown. Fun gun to plink cans with. The barrel is shot out however and kind of patterns more than groops. Still acurate enough to take a grouse on occasion.

Also have a Reminton 760 game master later 50's version in .257 Roberts. Its the most acurate rifle I own. And a great handling deer gun. One of my favorites.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My only pump rifle is a Winchester Model 62. I have never fired a centerfire pump. I don't even know anyone who owns one.
I do like this little 22 though.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I own a few old 22 pumps as well, but centerfire pump guns or shotguns for that matter never did it for me. I keep a pump shotgun around the house for varmints, but never could get used to hunting with one.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Hmm, let's see. I like pump shotguns and own 2 870s, a 3" 12 and a LW 20. I ONLY use the 12 for waterfowling. I also have 1890 and 62A Winchester .22s, Remington 12C .22LR, 25 .25-20, and 14 .35 Rem. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have an older Rem 760 carbine in 30.06 that is pretty durn accurate, and the best firearm I have found for when you have a flock of pigs come out on you.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i like the pumps as well. i have two of the old colt lightnings...... a medium frame carbine in 44/40 that really is fast , and a big old large frame in 4570 [ they called it 45/85]
then i have a few little guys that i really- a remington model 25 carbine [ hammerless type] in 32/20 that is smaller and lighter than many 22 pumps, and a neat old model 27 marlin pump in 25/20 that just has an appealing look and is lean and lanky and easy to handle.

heck i like some many different guns, i just wish i had more time [ and better weather ] to play with them more.
cable
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

JerryB wrote:Years ago I had a pretty decent .25 Remington pump, it shot good and real accurate. Ammo had to ordered from some place in Texas, as usual it got traded for something else. It was a good rifle to carry on my horse.
Dang, Jerry -- too bad you traded that one off. BillinOregon and I have both got "new" 25 Remingtons we are starting to shoot. Brass is made real easy from 30 Remingtons (with the use of a 7-08 or 7X57 die as an intermediate step to start the neck squeezing down) and 25-35 load data works for us just fine, too. Got a feeling these are going to be fun to shoot.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry