Blue Wonder gun blue/gun black? New questions!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Blue Wonder gun blue/gun black? New questions!

Post by awp101 »

Has anyone tried this stuff?
http://shop.bluewonder.us/products/Blue ... -19-5.html
http://shop.bluewonder.us/products/Blue ... -12-6.html

I have a couple of projects that need to be blued/reblued or in the case of the m96, the barrel blackened to match the receiver finish.

I saw a demo at one of the local gun shows a couple of years ago. It looked easy enough but he was trained to demo and sell it. I figure if there are any pitfalls or shortcomings, he might leave them out but you guys would give me the straight scoop. :mrgreen:

Thanks!
Last edited by awp101 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Blue Wonder gun blue/gun black?

Post by gary rice »

Ive tried it on small parts like buttplates and other items. At first i thought it did a really good job but like other cold blues it wears off pretty quickly. Since then ive gone to rust bluing which really does hold up well and is pretty easy to apply. It doesnt look exacltly like a hot blue but is very durable.
g rice
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

After all the hype it's just cold blue and won't stand up like a hot bath or rust blue but it does look ok when fresh. I can't say it's any better then Oxpho but on some parts it takes better.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

It looks pretty good and is great for small touch ups in low wear areas, but as stated before isn't very durable. It's fairly easy to apply. I did have a lot of trouble with one of the guns I tried to touch up rusting badly in the touched up areas. Not sure what I did wrong on that one.

I've had good luck with it blending in to the finishes I've tried. You just have to know when to use the black and when to use the blue. If one doesn't match, just try the other.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

OK, after reading here and on another forum, let me ask about rust bluing.

My impression has always been, you need a bluing tank, heat source and more stuff I don't have the space/funds for. After a quick read on wikipedia covering different types of bluing I see I might have been wrong. It seems I have been thinking rust and hot bluing were the same thing.

Granted, wiki isn't always 100% accurate but does rust bluing require those things or is it much less complicated?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Blue Wonder gun blue/gun black? New questions!

Post by gary rice »

Not complicated at all. Ive tried several rust blue solutions, one from brownells and another one that i dont remember off hand. The most simple one ive found is called Mark Lees rust blue solution. You simply degrease what you want to blue, (I degrease with acetone) , then heat the metal with a heat gun or other source, apply the solution which will rust the metal then card the rust off with degreased 0000 steel wool or a fine carding brush. Repeat the process until you have the color you want. Each time the blue gets a little darker. I forgot to add that when you apply the solution you need to boil the metal for 5 minutes in distilled water. Directions are on the product so you cant go wrong. I boil small parts in a pot that my wife doesnt know about.
g rice