Calibers for 1866 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dogwood2
Levergunner

Calibers for 1866 Winchester

Post by dogwood2 »

I am interested in getting a Winchester clone of some type, but part of the fun for me is being historically accurate. Was the beautiful 1866 ever produced in any calibers other than the .44 rimfire? I would like to have a 44-40 or 38-40 if one would fit.

John M.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Calibers for 1866 Winchester

Post by Mike D. »

For all intents and purposes the 1866 was produced only in .44 Henry RF. A very few late models were made in .44 CF, a center fire version of the Henry cartridge.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
dogwood2
Levergunner

Post by dogwood2 »

Thanks for the information Mike D. I thought I remembered seeing one for sale that was chambered for .44 centerfire, and being uninformed, I assumed it was .44 WCF.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Boy I REALLY wish someone would make a repro in 44 RF AND a company would make rf ammo for it. Navy arms had someone in Brazil make 32 RF ammo, so the ammo may not be an issue as much as the guns are. I am REAL close to just making my own, but I guess step one would be to get an original to get measurements from. Well, actually step one thru 5 would be finishing the projects I already have started.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

coyote nose wrote:Boy I REALLY wish someone would make a repro in 44 RF AND a company would make rf ammo for it. Navy arms had someone in Brazil make 32 RF ammo, so the ammo may not be an issue as much as the guns are. I am REAL close to just making my own, but I guess step one would be to get an original to get measurements from. Well, actually step one thru 5 would be finishing the projects I already have started.
I can REALLY relate to that one. :D
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

+1. Always wanted an 1860 colt chambered in .44 henry rimfire flat and a ton of cheap ammo to burn. :twisted:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Uberti and probly several others make the 66 clones in .38/.357, 44-40, 38-40, .45 Colt and possibly some other cals. The 44-40 is probably the closest you can get to being historically accurate.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Uberti and probly several others make the 66 clones in .38/.357, 44-40, 38-40, .45 Colt and possibly some other cals. The 44-40 is probably the closest you can get to being historically accurate.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

coyote nose wrote:Boy I REALLY wish someone would make a repro in 44 RF AND a company would make rf ammo for it.
Uberti actually did make 44RF versions of the 1873 - very limited production. Passed one up that was for sale at Ron Peterson's in Albuquerque about 10 years ago. Beautiful rifle with fancy wood and engraving.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
coyote nose wrote:Boy I REALLY wish someone would make a repro in 44 RF AND a company would make rf ammo for it.
Uberti actually did make 44RF versions of the 1873 - very limited production. Passed one up that was for sale at Ron Peterson's in Albuquerque about 10 years ago. Beautiful rifle with fancy wood and engraving.
Didnt know this. Was the receiver shorter than the one they make in 44-40? The 44 RF is a shorter round and the carrier is thus shorter for the RF round.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Approximately a thousand of the last run of '66 ("improved Henry") rifles were chambered for the .44 Henry CF, and were shipped to South America on contract.. I believe a handful may have remained in the States, but number would be very small.. One does pop up, on a rare occasion..

I am not aware of any production '73s chambered for either "Henry" cartridge.. As has been mentioned, the receiver well and carrier are longer in the '73 than in the original Winchedter '66s...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe way back when Navy arms made some of their early Henry replicas in 44 rf, and have had runs of ammo made a couple times, tho the price goes way up before long, as they are limited runs. I think it's been perhaps 20 years since they made a run of ammo.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
dogwood2
Levergunner

Post by dogwood2 »

I had no idea anyone had made .44 rimfire ammo in the last 80 years. Even if you could convince someone to manufacture it again, it would make for some pretty expensive shooting. It looks like I should be looking at the '73 models. An friend of mine who collects Winchesters says I should just get an original, but I would worry about shooting one very much. I have one in .38-40, but I bet it hasn't been shot in 90 years. It was found hidden in a chink of an old log cabin during a demolition job here in Southern Missouri. If that thing could talk!

J. Moody
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:I believe way back when Navy arms made some of their early Henry replicas in 44 rf, and have had runs of ammo made a couple times, tho the price goes way up before long, as they are limited runs. I think it's been perhaps 20 years since they made a run of ammo.
Fits with my recollection... tho' sometimes I mix them up with Dixie Gun Works for what they'd done years ago.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

coyote nose wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:
Didnt know this. Was the receiver shorter than the one they make in 44-40? The 44 RF is a shorter round and the carrier is thus shorter for the RF round.
Wow! I am sorry. :oops: Sometimes I type faster than I think! :shock: The rifle I saw was NOT an 1873, it was an 1860 HENRY replica chamber for the 44RF. :) Now that I have corrected the record.........Not sure on the receiver and carrier dimensions, only the chambering. I also noted that it had the double firing pin for the rimfire cartridges as seen on the original Henry and 1866s.

My apology gentlemen.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva