The great 38-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

The great 38-40

Post by Marvin S »

Got to shoot my 38-40 for the second time today. The first outing was loaded with home castings from the SAECO #401 that all I could manage was .401 dia and bore slugged at .402. It shot decent with slight leading in the first couple inches of rifling. I made a new form cutter from tool steel and enlarged the cavities by .004, also had to make a custom .403 H&I sizing die now to go with the new mold dia. That also led to another two step neck expander plug that I make to go in the LEE universal neck expander die. Next and final step was the need to hone out the bullet guide sleeve in the Hornady seating die, as it would not allow the bullet to go inside it. Guess that,s the definition of one thing after another.

After shooting it today it was sure worth the extra effort, accuracy was incredible especially with the standard issue barrel sights. Best five shot group was a nice and round 1 1/4in at fifty yards. It is begging for a tang sight and a chance at a deer. Don't know about the sight anytime soon but it will be going deer hunting in a few weeks.

Hers a quick picture of the rifle. It a Mod 92 round barrel rifle made about 1923 with a bore that will make you drool. Load was 190gr SEACO #401 with 7.5gr of Unique. The truck hood is my portable bench rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The great 38-40

Post by Sixgun »

Thats a nice looking rig......about 8" of lift?......and a nice '92 :D -----clean.

Yea, you gotta slap a tang sight on her--I don't know how old you are but even a young guy will benefit from a tang sight........you just look at the front bead and pull the trigger.

Step her up to 9 or 10 grains of Unique. My 38-40's like 9 grains.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds promising. I need to get out and spend some more time with my Uberti '73 in 38 WCF.
Old Law Dawg
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

7 in of lift on the truck, I.m building a new engine for it now. Pretty much all of my other rifles have tang sights and at 47 I sure know the benefits of them, just would like to find something other than a new mfg one so it's time to shop around.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is a good looking rifle and an exciting group
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Real nice looking rigs Marvin. Both of them. But if you're using that truck hood as your bench rest you must stand about 7' tall.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

5' 11" it's a bit of a stretch.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Marvin S wrote:7 in of lift on the truck, I.m building a new engine for it now. Pretty much all of my other rifles have tang sights and at 47 I sure know the benefits of them, just would like to find something other than a new mfg one so it's time to shop around.

Yea Marv, most new ones are junk, especially the Lymans. The Marbles are not too bad but for the same money you can have an original Lyman. Ken Bean, of York, Pa. is one of the premier sight dealers in the country and is also a friend of mine. He will set you up nice.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Would you have contact info for Ken, would like to have a matching front with it. Thank You.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Marvin, that is a beautiful little 38-40 you have there.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Thanks for the comments guy's. It's the best condition original 92 I have owned and not a thing has been touched on it. If I change the sights on these things I always bag and tag the ones that come off of it. Kirk I see you like the smell of fresh turned earth, so here is a pic I took before going shooting that day. It's a 1983 wheel horse C-105 Kohler K241 10hp with a duel range transmission.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Good morning Marvin,

That is a good looking Model 92! I just received my 16th one so I have a serious affliction that does not appear to be getting any better!
I am conduting a research survey of the Model 1892/92 line and would love to be able to add yours into the work. You can read a bit about it here:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ey#p343093
And here:
http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... php?t=3460
And here is a look at 4 of mine:
http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... sc&start=0

If you are interested, and I hope so, send me an email at 2bitrifles@gmail.com
A few photos will usually do the trick.

Happy Thanksgiving
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Marvin, thanks for that whiff of fresh turned earth! It is one of the finest perfumes on earth (that and the smell of wild cedars).
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/