Guess What Costs 169.00 $$$

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Guess What Costs 169.00 $$$

Post by Blaine »

A locksmith to get your Ranger open with the keys in it, engine running :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Guess What Costs 169.00 $$$

Post by awp101 »

Ouch...

Did that include having a spare key made?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

awp101 wrote:Ouch...

This is going to make your day: I always carry a spare in the wallet...that was sitting on the passenger seat because I had just bought something in the drive-thru...... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Couple months ago I locked my keys in the car, AAA came out right away, opened it, left,
THEN I remembered the key in my wallet, in my pocket.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a spare key in very strong magnified holder under the frame of my PU. Last time I checked it was still there and has been so for 4 years. If my "slim jim" isn't handy I just call AAA to open it up.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Last time I locked myself out of my truck it was in Phx, AZ at an ARCO station. A skinny little Mexican dude squirmed through the sliding glass window and got them for me.

I thanked him profusely.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

First thing I do when getting a new vehicle is have 3 or 4 copies of the keys made. I always carry 3 keys on me at all times for my main truck (in different pockets), and 2 for my work truck. I've locked myself out enough times I don't want to do it again.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BlaineG wrote:
awp101 wrote:Ouch...

This is going to make your day: I always carry a spare in the wallet...that was sitting on the passenger seat because I had just bought something in the drive-thru...... :lol:
I can match that.

We were in the process of moving when I locked my keys in my truck. Couldn't find the spare to save my life. Called the locksmith, had him open it and make a replacement spare key. When I got my billfold out to pay him, guess what I found? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, that's just one of the things that makes AAA such a bargain. The dang computerized keys are now too bulky to fit in my wallet.
Sharptop
Levergunner

Post by Sharptop »

Get a tennis ball cut a small hole in it, put it against the keyhole and whack it. It will pop the lock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNaSTipOYy8
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I did that a few years ago. As I was bending a coat hanger a young man in a hoodie walked over from the bus station, pulled a full length slim-jim from his baggy pants and in no time opened the door and walked back to the station. :shock:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Blaine, that's just one of the things that makes AAA such a bargain. The dang computerized keys are now too bulky to fit in my wallet.
And they are so expensive to copy, too...

I think I'd be tempted to buy an older car's ignition switch from a junkyard and replace the 'computer' one, if it's possible. Too many things to go wrong and too much money for just copying a 'key' these days.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Extra key in my billfold and billfold on me at all times.

Lock yourself out a couple of times and the message gets through.

Don
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Recently got a new vehicle. It came equipped with that "keyless entry" feature. I thought, even though you can still get in, you can't start the vehicle. What a useless feature. Then I locked my key in it. "Keyless entry" now makes sense
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Had keys in truck and dog jumped on the electric locks and OI got locked out of truck while cutting wood. Lucky the door was on first catch and I got a stiff wire and was able to press the unlock button. Didn't have to walk home. Would AAA gone out across a field and into the woods to unlock me? Oh yea, phone was in the truck too. LOL
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Blaine, that's just one of the things that makes AAA such a bargain. The dang computerized keys are now too bulky to fit in my wallet.
You don't have to have one of the "computerized" keys to unlock your door. Actually, my wife's vehicle came with a regular flat "unlock" key that was labeled Service Key by Ford and was in the owners manual.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a strong magnetic hide-a-key in the end of a box beam on my pickup frame, I have used it 3 or 4 times, CRS is getting worse. It will only get the door open, but thats all I need. Chaffs my chubby cheeks, $98.00 for a new ignition key, havent got one yet. :(
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Feel your pain Blain but i had to break my slider window to get in after snoopy dog locked me out, he missid his biscut that day :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Is it any cheaper if the engine isn't running?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:Is it any cheaper if the engine isn't running?
Actually, if I had not been in a hurry to get back to work, I could have saved fifty bucks if I had let him show up at his leisure. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Did that once myself. Got out to drop a letter in the mail box and locked the door of my '72 Gran Torino. It was late at night down in the port with no one around. An old guy getting off work stopped and had a coat hanger. Now it took about a minute for me to open it, yea, I'd locked the keys inside before. :oops: Old guy suggests I stick a coat hanger in the engine compartment. Smart guy. I did, and used it a few (?) times after than. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote:

I think I'd be tempted to buy an older car's ignition switch from a junkyard and replace the 'computer' one, if it's possible. Too many things to go wrong and too much money for just copying a 'key' these days.
Dealership wants $100 to $150 to cut a key and program it.
Like Redhawk 41 said, you don't need an ignition key to open the door. A $5.00 key will do that.
My daughter locked her keys in her car at college. I faxed my insurance card with VIN on it that showed she was a legitimate driver of the car to the local dealer. He cut her a plain key. She got a ride to the dealer and showed her ID. Saved a locksmith and programmed key fee.

On Fords (and I think on other makes) , you can program you own keys as long as you have 2 already programmed. I buy key blanks for 12 bucks or so, have the local hardware store cut it, then program it myself. $34 dollars instead of $300. Dealer doesn't want you to know that (I even had one tell me I couldn't do that) but the instructions are in the owners manual.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

vancelw wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

Dealership wants $100 to $150 to cut a key and program it.
Like Redhawk 41 said, you don't need an ignition key to open the door. A $5.00 key will do that.
My daughter locked her keys in her car at college. I faxed my insurance card with VIN on it that showed she was a legitimate driver of the car to the local dealer. He cut her a plain key. She got a ride to the dealer and showed her ID. Saved a locksmith and programmed key fee.

On Fords (and I think on other makes) , you can program you own keys as long as you have 2 already programmed. I buy key blanks for 12 bucks or so, have the local hardware store cut it, then program it myself. $34 dollars instead of $300. Dealer doesn't want you to know that (I even had one tell me I couldn't do that) but the instructions are in the owners manual.
My 2007 Tundra came with two regular keys, and a "valet" key that only opens the door and starts the engine. Of course the only other thing with a lock is the glove box, and it would take a thief about two seconds to open that if it were locked.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I got lots of lock out stories. :D
Best 2
Went on a lock out call for a regular customer, got her into her car tossed my kit back in the wrecker, chated for a couple of minutes, then after she left relised my keys and lock out tools where locked in the cab. :oops:

Working in a convenice store at closing time and a pair of loudmouths pull in and lock the keys in thier chevy truck, I could have got them in but I just didn't like the attitude they had , I did let them use the phone book and phone to call a lock smith and listened as they agreed to his price for coming out at 11 pm to get into thier truck. Thne when the smith gets there they start trying to jew him down, tell him its only worth 20 bucks to get into the truck and yadda yadda yadda for about 5 minutes. The smith finally gives in but tells them they have to pay up front. They do and the smith grabs a ball peen hammer and busts the driver side window out. The expresion on thier faces was priceless. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine,
Thats why I don't lock nothing and leave the key in the ignition---just the key---nothing else. A dirtbag walking past looks and don't see a mess of keys hanging down. I don't believe I have taken the key out of "Old Yeller" (my '89 YJ) in 20 years.

Personally, I would have just smashed the window and blamed it on some truck driver from Texas :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I do that all the time. :oops:

I took a valet key ( just opens the door) and put a glob of silicone on it and clamped it
under the outside rail of the bed on my pick up. No one would ever look there and it's
easy to pull it off.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Someone already beat me to it, but you can get keys cut by a dealer from the VIN code on many vehicles. I saw it happen at a bank once, the ladies dog locked the door.

In Phoenix, I used to see locksmiths and the fire dept trying to get in vehicles someone locked with a baby or dog inside or some similar dumb stunt. If they couldnt get in within a short time, they broke a window, it was too danged hot to leave them in there very long.

I figured out a way to get in cars with door lock buttons that isn't quite as damaging as breaking glass, or if the broken glass would be a hazard, such as when a baby was in the car. I don't know if metal repair is cheaper than glass repair, but it could be temporarily fixed with a piece of tape, and bondo'ed and painted later. Cordless drill, hole in roof, steel rod.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

Sharptop wrote:Get a tennis ball cut a small hole in it, put it against the keyhole and whack it. It will pop the lock.

Does not work.
Try it.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Back in 1963 I was driveing from louisianna to wisconsin in my 1956 chev. I stopped on the outskirts of chicago to eat. Came out and had locked the keys in the car! It was night so I thought I would stay in a nearby motel and hassel it the next morning. That morning I was doing no good trying to hook the keys with a coat hanger. Some people had gathered to give advice. One looked in the car and said look at that big gun he`s got! Sure nuff, I had a ruger that had slid forward from under the drivers seat. I just said yeah, well everything I own is in that car! This was chicago! I am not sure what the laws were then in 1963, but I tried to act like it was normal. The guy that spotted the gun was a preacher. He drove me to a chev dealer he knew, and we borrowed a set of keys and got it open. He wouldnt take any money so I gave him a ten or twenty and told him to put it in the offering plate next sunday.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This guy had two little, thin airbags that pumped up with a little bulb.....made a little gap, and stuck his little tool in and punched the electric lock button.....less than a minute, and left no marks on the door.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

In 1981 or so, Girlfriend & I stop in at a sporting goods store in Wyoming. Very cold & light snow. As I shut the driver's door with the engine running I realized that I had by habit locked the door. A bad duh moment. Told the counter man what I had did, he laughed & pointed to several bent coat hangers on the wall behind the counter. Said that happens all the time. Opened it up in seconds & absolutely would not take anything but thanks. Oh yeah, our coats were in the car. 1000 miles from Louisiana was a very bad felling.
Busa
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

For many years, I've kept a bead chain with a small tape measure and nail clipper in my left front pants pocket at all times. Couple of years ago, I added a spare car key to that chain for reasons we need not go into... :oops:

AAA is handy too!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have locked the key's in my vehicle a few time's. I was alway's able to use the coathanger trick. It's funny but my ford truck has the keypad on the door to let you in and everytime I go hunting I think I should leave my key's in the truck. Then I just can't bring myself to do it cause I'm alway's afraid with my luck the keypad won't work :lol:
Karl
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

My friend Bernie locked himself out of his junky little Subaru wagon one January night about 20 years ago. We were eating out at Denny's, and since it was really cold, about forty below, he locked the door and left the car running while we ate. People here frequently do this so the vehicle doesn't get too cold inside. We came back outside after we ate and he checked his pocket for his key and realized he didn't have a spare. He had that moment of "what do I do now" before his wife started yammering in his ear about how much a locksmith would cost at this time of night, how could you do this, etc., etc.

We thought about it for a little while and I remembered how I could see the road around the rubber boot on his shift lever when I rode with him. Maybe there was enough room for him to reach up and get the key? He couldn't think of a better idea so he got under the car and found that with his heavy jacket on, he didn't have enough clearance to scoot under, so he had to strip down to his T shirt. He laid on his back and reached up through that hole while I looked through the window and gave him "up, down, left, right, a little lower" directions until he reached the key. He got the engine turned off and pulled the key out of the ignition and then promptly dropped it, but with a little more effort and bending and contorting of his wrist and hand he picked it up and got it out.

I don't remember how long it took him to reach the key, but it was at least several minutes. I was getting cold standing there and I had my hat and warm jacket on so I was impressed that he was able to withstand the cold for long enough to get his key. If he had it to do over again though, he probably would have called a locksmith.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Blaine,

Years ago when we were first married we lived in Puyallup and my wife's sister and her friend came down from Bothell on the way to Portland and stopped to meet my wife and to go shopping. They were driving my father in laws ranger standard cab pickup with an open bed and had their belongings (suit cases, etc.) back in the truck bed out in the open for anyone to take. Being very smart and Seattle area savvy they locked up the cab so no one would steal anything and managed to forget and leave the keys in the ignition.

Yours truely got the call to come break into the truck which I managed to and being the good brother in law and husband i am did not razz them, ... well at least not too much, about locking the truck to protect the keys while leaving thier belongings out for grabs in a shopping center parking lot. :lol:

Then when I was a kid there was the time my Mom locked the car keys in the trunk. :shock: Has anyone ever done that??
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

broke the key off in the truck trying to close it with my hands full,
we were out at the mountain cabin and i put a damper on things until the locksmith came out
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

DOH!! :shock:

(Did the same thing about 20 years ago. Don't tell anyone. :oops: )

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Sharptop wrote:Get a tennis ball cut a small hole in it, put it against the keyhole and whack it. It will pop the lock.

You're making me a little concerned now, you seem WAAAY to familiar with this process :roll: :D
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

USAA roadside
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:USAA roadside
Ford Roadside would probably have come out, but the card was in the wallet, with the spare key, on the passenger seat, locked inside :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Broken window costs less if you repair it yourself. I know this to be a fact. I've broken a few windows in my car-owning life.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote:Broken window costs less if you repair it yourself. I know this to be a fact. I've broken a few windows in my car-owning life.
Absolutely/ Just pick the window wisely. The smallest window is probably not the cheapest window!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

3 pages of People eagerly posting Their Stupidity, Am I one ? "Yep"
I worked at Monkey Wards as a Mechanic in the early 70s.I can't tell You how many Cars I opened for People.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif