Reloading Die Wrench - what size and where to get?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Reloading Die Wrench - what size and where to get?

Post by AJMD429 »

For 30 years I've used channel-lock pliers for the task, because
  • box-end wrenches are too thick and don't clear other dies on the toolhead,

standard open-end wrenches are so thick they don't clear other dies, either, and

deep-well sockets are just not deep enough to clear many of the reloading dies.
The only two wrenches I see advertised for this purpose are an RCBS one that I guess is 1-3/16" (although MY RCBS dies came with either knurled nuts or 1-1/8" ones that may be after-market since those dies were bought second-hand), and a Lyman that says 'only fits Lyman dies' in the description. MY only Lyman dies are for a 310 tool, so obviously I can't go by them, so I don't know if Lyman is 1-1/8" or not.

What do you guys use, and what size(s) are they?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Reloading Die Wrench - what size and where to get?

Post by J Miller »

What do you need to tighten that you need channel lock pliers?

I use either 3/8 or 7/16" open wrenchs for the skinny shaft lock nuts on my RCBS dies. For the thick ones I use finger pressure or at the most a set of pliers with rubber on the jaws.
For the lock rings I use 1/8" allen wrenches.

Don't need much more than that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I just have a big "crescent" wrench (adjustable open end wrench). I'm not sure I understand what you want. Sounds like your press has a deep well on it like the spark plug recesses on a Citroen.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Would a tube spanner make it easier?

I just finger tighten my Lee dies. Seems to work.

Cheers Mark
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

If I need an open end wrench and find it is too thick for situtations you have mentioned, I usually grind them on the flat sides to make em thinner till they fit in the groove. I don't usually maim my tools, but if you have more than one of the same size, I use the cheapest one if it needs replacing. Sometimes I find a replacement for the wrench at yard sales, (plenty of yard sales here). Works for me. :roll:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
400short
Levergunner

Post by 400short »

Hi, First post here,but long time reloader. Look at the dillon precision bench wrench, or how about grinding down a regular type wrench to suit.

Regards,
400short
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I know the problem. Most have knurled lock nuts, (mine anyway) and there are a few with hex nuts. Dillon sells replacement hex nuts and a wrench to fit them. All standard dies are 7/8x14 and use the same lock nuts.

I keep two sets of channel locks on the bench and just use them. Yeah, I get a few garf marks on the knurls but who cares? It's a lot better than having to pull a hundred bullets because your sizing die backed out a half turn. Guess how I know this!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the ides of griding down a garage-sale wrench. I even have an old combination wrench (unfortunately 7/8" so the wrong size) we keep tied to 100 ft of parachute cord to throw over limbs in trees we need to cut down but will need a guide/tension rope. Got that one in the trunk of an old car we bought for a dollar from a relative.

The crowded toolhead of a Dillon 550 just makes it tricky to tighten the less-well-supervised dies even with fingers. On my RCBS Rockchucker, they are easy to get to with fingers, or any kind of wrench, if I needed to, but on that press it isn't much of a big deal anyway, as it would be easy to see and tell if a die started being loose - on a progressive like the Dillon, you could fail to notice until you'd messed up some rounds, and on a 'toolhead' or 'turret' application, I figure I may as well tighten them pretty snug, because it isn't like I'm going to be taking them in and out like on the single-stage press.

Even the little sheet-metal Lyman wrench would be plenty strong, and for $3.99, might be worth not having to grind down a 'real' wrench, but I'll have to wait for Lyman to respond to my "What size is your durn wrench?" question before I get one. Until then, I guess < sniff, snuffle > I'l just have to get by with the channel-locks... :cry: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have the Dillon tool, a pair of channel-locks, and an old "monkey-wrench" (adjustable wrench), that I use as the need arises. However, once set in my tool head, they're set. I may need to adjust the seating screw once in a while when changing bullets... but, the die itself? Nope, no problem. It's what the removeable toolhead is for! Am going to get another head and set of .45ACP dies just to I can have Adironjack's Cowboy45Special setup in a tool head of it's own. The last group I loaded didn't really need any adjustment from my ACP settings, but... hey can you have too many reloading dies?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Like Hobie, I use a crescent wrench when I remove my dies from my turret press. I use Alox lube, and the dies need to be occasionally cleaned.

rimrock
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have swapped out ALL of my die lock rings for Hornady
lock rings. They are IMHO the best.
The locking screw don't dig into the dies threads and they are stainless steel.
Midway often has them on sale so I buy 10 at a time.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/391359 ... -14-thread