Is the Jeep 4X4 Patriot any good????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Is the Jeep 4X4 Patriot any good????

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,
Looking at buying a 4X4
Have a chance to buy a 2010 Jeep Patriot 4X4 with 16000 for $13,999(off a 1 owner lease)
Are these any good?
or, would I be better spending another $4000 for a 2011 Jeep Liberty 4X4 (off rental) ??
The Patriot 4X4 is a 5 speed and is rated 29mpg hwy/23 city
I know it does not have the power of the v6 but figure with the standard will do for what I want??????
Being my Ford Escape(4cyl 5 speed)is enough for what I want,but it's only FWD(boy that was a good deal,2.5 years old/25000 miles when bought for $8900 in 2004)still great with 120,000 so far and no rust on it????????.

Reason I am getting a (almost new/not new)is I also have a New 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan on order to come in next month.
Anyone that has not seen one of these(compared to the old Versa) you'll flip.

How much??
2012(New)
5 speed (Air)(ABS)Traction/stability control)(Tilt)(AM/FM/CD)(6 air bags)(power steering/brakes)on and on???
Looks kinda like a smaller Maxima now? (38mpg)

How much will it cost?-----------------$10,500 + freight :lol:

So, those that remember back couple years ago finally after 22 years having my beloved 1987 GMC K1500(was rusting bad underneath)
got $5000(cash for clunkers)and bought a new 2009 Nissan Sentra(list $19500) for $10,000 because of $5500 for old truck and $4500 off with Nissan/Dealer incentives. (so---$20K for two brand new cars)
Bottom line------Daughter got new Sentra to start College with.

So, Is the 2010 Jeep 4X4------------------a Good deal?????????????

I'm not cheap------just frugal :D
New is nice-------------but College aint cheap! (2010 in the 4X4 will do for that!)
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Is the Jeep 4X4 Patriot any good????

Post by Marlin32 »

Our company bought a bunch of these pepsi cans on wheels as fleet vehicles, I have one of them. Absolute junk, don't walk away, RUN!! 4x4 my rear, this thing will get stuck on a gum wrapper. Definetly not a mud vehicle or for snow. Four cylinder so week, you better not drive her into a strong head wind, your likely just to sit still. Terrible vehicle.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, have a friend who really likes his, big difference of opinion but don't know how hard he uses it but like the mileage.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Marlin32 wrote:Our company bought a bunch of these pepsi cans on wheels as fleet vehicles, I have one of them. Absolute junk, don't walk away, RUN!! 4x4 my rear, this thing will get stuck on a gum wrapper. Definetly not a mud vehicle or for snow. Four cylinder so week, you better not drive her into a strong head wind, your likely just to sit still. Terrible vehicle.

Hmmmm... I have a 2011, 2.4L, 4 cylinder (variable valve timing) and CVT automatic.

Have to tell you, it's one of the nicest vehicles I've owned. Very comfortable, great interior features, averaging 23 mpg. Had it out in that early snow a few weeks back and the auto-engage AWD handled it great. Never had to engage full time. The engine can't hold a candle to the Cummins in my Dodge, but I don't expect it to. Smooth, with good torque. Not a rocket, not a dog either. Then again, I don't drive like I'm 17 anymore. My needs and expectations have changed.

LOVE the CVT automatic. It's one of the best features.

11,000 miles and not a single problem.

The Patriot is a bad weather, bad road surface capable car. We've even driven it on the beach, with no problems at all. I highly recommend it. :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I had a pretty good impression of one ----- i had a customer who had storm damage to his home after a series of floods and washouts on the roads leading to his little lake house

We had to get there to document the storm damage regardless --- at my initial conversation, he asked what kind of vehicle i had --- i confidently replied "F-150 - we'll have no problems" -- he said it would be too big, we should meet in a nearby town and take his Jeep

I was skeptical, but then again, i didnt want to drive down a narrow tree and weed lined road and get my black paint scratched up anyway ---

He had a Patriot -- when i showed up i thought to myself "Dude ! --- I thought you said we were taking a Jeep!"

The little thing worked just fine and got us down some roads that were just as my customer described, including climbing a short muddly embankment that was on roughly a 33 degree incline --- the ruts in the roads were 3 feet deep and we had to straddle them ----
--- to be sure, this wasn't the Rubicon trail or anything , but it left me fairly impressed with the vehicle's capability and it was nimble.
They made a diesel version a few years ago, but i could never find one in my price range

The only thing i would be concerned about is the long term comfort for a guy who is well over 6' and in the 250 lb range --- because i felt a little cramped myself just sitting in the passenger seat and i am not in that size league (but it could be perception, - coming out of my truck and jumping into this vehicle maybe why it felt small - but i got used to my Wrangler -- and it is the smallest vehicle i have ever driven )
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Personally I don't want a Jeep made after 1965 but then I'm not looking at them as an everyday driver .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I don't have the Patriot, but do like my Liberty Renegade and my 4 Door Wrangler. Both are great for trails, and snow out here in Utah.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

draperjojo wrote:I don't have the Patriot, but do like my Liberty Renegade and my 4 Door Wrangler. Both are great for trails, and snow out here in Utah.
Thanks guys for all the input!

What really floats my boat would be the 4 door new Wrangler in desert sand(tan) But they are sure a lot more than the $13995 or even $17,995 :lol:
Want to just have another reliable little 4X4 for our driveway and around town and such.
The other 7 months would drive the new little Versa around or even my Escape.(giving the Maxima to my bro)
I will keep your knowledgeable reports and take them into consideration on which to purchase.(I haven't even seen that Patriot yet but boy that army green 2011 4 door Liberty sure is nice(looked at that one)the $17,995 one(just worry a little it was a rental)?
But they sure have grown in size.(really sharp)
Thanks all. :wink:

marlin32-----
you sure those company vehicles are not only the front wheel drive ones????
Cause man I would think(with proper tires)the 4X4 ones should go pretty decent.(and being a 5 speed)would think in low gear(range?)
that little creeper should pull fairly decent in the slow going stuff??
Whatever I get I think I will put on 4 super aggressive(snow tires/w studs)
However------I have not drove one ever and you have so-------you have more experience on this than I surely have so thanks for your valuable viewpoint. :wink:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

From memory, they are not true 4x4 -they are only 2x2 with slipping differentials or something - in other words, they don't have power to all 4 wheels....

IMHO, if you are going to do any apreciable off-road, then go with the Wrangler. I have a 2008 X that I like a lot - 6 speed V6. I wish they'd of just upgraded the 4.0 In-line 6 but so far it's doing well.

I do like the new Liberty as well and I think they're true 4x4.

OH -see this is more for around town....

The Patriot I thought has a continuously variable transmition - oh yeah, that's the auto transmition - has standard 5 Sp for manual...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:From memory, they are not true 4x4 -they are only 2x2 with slipping differentials or something - in other words, they don't have power to all 4 wheels....

IMHO, if you are going to do any apreciable off-road, then go with the Wrangler. I have a 2008 X that I like a lot - 6 speed V6. I wish they'd of just upgraded the 4.0 In-line 6 but so far it's doing well.

I do like the new Liberty as well and I think they're true 4x4.

OH -see this is more for around town....

The Patriot I thought has a continuously variable transmition - oh yeah, that's the auto transmition - has standard 5 Sp for manual...

OK,

I will indeed check this out??
I for sure want a true 4X4

Question------
When you get a normal 4X4(and jack it up on a lift)if I remember right isn't a 4X4 still kinda only supply power to only one wheel front and one back????????(one with most traction) while the other free wheels ?
To get true all four wheels driving you need to have differential locking on front/rear(or something like a Detroit locking Diff???)

Seems I remember being able when vehicle was in 4WD I could hold one of the tires by hand each front and rear while put under some load????????????
I know on my 700 Grizzly when in normal 4WD the one front and the one rear only drive but when I put it in Diff(lock)on all four drive.???

OK motor heads----------------help???????
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

No, it is not front wheel drive, but 4x4. I can feel every bump in the road as if there was no floor. Noise is terrible, notice it when I come to a stop and the radio is blaring, because when driving down highway, so much noise, can't hear the radio unless on really loud.

Our transportatin group and mechanics laugh about all of them. Now these are fleet vehicles, so maybe commerical product a bit better, but 4x4 is anything but. Might do running around on the beach, but here in Nebraska snow and clay mud roads, well, my old Ford Ranger kicked this vehicle's rear end. My Escape (own two, one with select 4x4) is head and shoulders above this vehicle. and now my company has gone to the Escape for this type of vehicle.

If you need the jeep, maybe the Liberty is better choice>

patriot is whoafully underpowerd, but does get good mileage.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

The 4x4 Patriot is a front wheel drive/all wheel drive with a locking 4x4 switch for full time 4x4. There is a front wheel drive only version. The ones I have driven seemed ok. The CVT transmission is a true constant variable transmission without specific gears. Go to wickipedia and read about it. It's not a new concept but what I have read is if they go bad you just replace the transmission you don't rebuild it. I will be opting for the 5 speed manual transmission and the 2.4 VVT engine.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

madman4570 wrote: What really floats my boat would be the 4 door new Wrangler in desert sand(tan) But they are sure a lot more
Madman,
Ain't it somethin' that I always manage to come up with things that other guys are looking for? (Desert tan 4 door) :D

Stay away from the Patriots. While they are OK for getting groceries and around town driving, they are not built to withstand "guy driving". Libertys are a bit better, not much. The Cherokees and the Wranglers are what you want. Take your time and shop around, one will come up with your name on it. If taken care of, they will last 200,000 miles. 4 doors have been around for some time now, and I see them on the used market all the time--the same with Cherokees. In my opinion, a Patriot with 20,000 miles on it is no better than a Cherokee with 100,000 miles on it. :wink: --------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun wrote:
madman4570 wrote: What really floats my boat would be the 4 door new Wrangler in desert sand(tan) But they are sure a lot more
Madman,
Ain't it somethin' that I always manage to come up with things that other guys are looking for? (Desert tan 4 door) :D

Stay away from the Patriots. While they are OK for getting groceries and around town driving, they are not built to withstand "guy driving". Libertys are a bit better, not much. The Cherokees and the Wranglers are what you want. Take your time and shop around, one will come up with your name on it. If taken care of, they will last 200,000 miles. 4 doors have been around for some time now, and I see them on the used market all the time--the same with Cherokees. In my opinion, a Patriot with 20,000 miles on it is no better than a Cherokee with 100,000 miles on it. :wink: --------Sixgun

Ok,

That's how we will role!
THANK YOU!
Man, guns/jeeps/and probably everything else you got(wish I had) :mrgreen: :wink:
So with that being,you qualify for and deserve without doubt the following statement.

YOU BE DA MAN! :mrgreen:

Boy there nice Jeeps!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

madman4570 wrote: YOU BE DA MAN! :mrgreen:
Tell me somethin' I didn't know. :D

-------------for real, I'm just a peon factory worker who has never made more 42K in one year. I got a few Jeeps--big deal, one of 'em has 180,000 miles on it and another is 7 years old.

Yea, I managed to get some nice guns but don't forget, I've been doing this for 40 years in a gun-rich area.

I'm probably the "peon of the board"-------------Sixgun

Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Sixgun wrote:
madman4570 wrote: YOU BE DA MAN! :mrgreen:
Tell me somethin' I didn't know. :D

-------------for real, I'm just a peon factory worker who has never made more 42K in one year. I got a few Jeeps--big deal, one of 'em has 180,000 miles on it and another is 7 years old.

Yea, I managed to get some nice guns but don't forget, I've been doing this for 40 years in a gun-rich area.

I'm probably the "peon of the board"-------------Sixgun
From one peon to another, welcome to the board.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Just as an aside, I have a '98 Grand Cherokee 4-liter with the Selec-Trac power train which I bought in August of 2001 (a leased vehicle, he had 36,016 miles on the clock when I got him.) Now has 348,272 miles showing, and still going strong. (Has an occasional hard to start episode, but heck, I do too.) Have put in one power steering pump, one water pump, and an alternator. Five New England winters and a LOT of sand slogging on the Outer Banks, and when it REALLY snows here - which it does on occasion - we go out and leave one set of tracks down a lot of empty roads. (The Johnnies don't know how to deal with six or eight inches of the white stuff.) Oh, the GC's name is Rienzi, after Phil Sheridan's big black horse.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

airedaleman wrote:Just as an aside, I have a '98 Grand Cherokee 4-liter with the Selec-Trac power train which I bought in August of 2001 (a leased vehicle, he had 36,016 miles on the clock when I got him.) Now has 348,272 miles showing, and still going strong. (Has an occasional hard to start episode, but heck, I do too.) Have put in one power steering pump, one water pump, and an alternator. Five New England winters and a LOT of sand slogging on the Outer Banks, and when it REALLY snows here - which it does on occasion - we go out and leave one set of tracks down a lot of empty roads. (The Johnnies don't know how to deal with six or eight inches of the white stuff.) Oh, the GC's name is Rienzi, after Phil Sheridan's big black horse.

:o :shock: Wow!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Sixgun, where did you get the idea that jeeps were cool. :wink:
Didn't want to look at my wifes cars anymore so traded it on another rubicon.
Me likes Jeeps and guns and motorcycles. :mrgreen:
p.s real 4x4's 8)

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun jr wrote:Hey Sixgun, where did you get the idea that jeeps were cool. :wink:
p.s real 4x4's 8)

Oh sh## where did I put that drool rag???
Think I wiped out the keyboard :cry:
Man, you guys got nice rides! :mrgreen:
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Take a look at these if you want a Jeep.

http://www.wagonmaster.com/
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

madman4570 wrote:
Sixgun jr wrote:Hey Sixgun, where did you get the idea that jeeps were cool. :wink:
p.s real 4x4's 8)

THATS my boy!!!!!!!!!! Guys, I have to admit, my son is the guy who got me into Jeeps. 'Ya see the old '89 YJ that is my daily driver? That was his when he was 16 and I'm still driving it.
That boy of mine is a chip off the old block---toys, toys, toys.....They claim that the guy who dies with the most toys is the winner and him and I are in HOT competition! :D

AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

Nice jeeps, Sixgun and Sixgun Jr., but where are the winches? And I don't mean Winchesters. Not this time anyway.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AkRay wrote:Nice jeeps, Sixgun and Sixgun Jr., but where are the winches? And I don't mean Winchesters. Not this time anyway.

As I hope I might not be too bold to guess what those two Jeep loving fellows will tell you ??

Jeeps???-----they don't need winches! :mrgreen: :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun wrote:
Madman,

Well, Wife has talked me into getting a new 2012 Subaru for her so I think I am going to get a "mildly used Wrangler"
My daughters boy friend just bought a new 2012 Wrangler and that is an awesome machine.
And when I do my fishing trips will still have my sweet little Ford Escape!( I actually fit sleeping in it) :lol:
Na, take the Jeep and a tent??????????
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

First off, I'm a real Jeep "nut"........I've owned a bunch of them, including a couple Jeep pick-up trucks. I had three Jeep Grand Cherokees in a row and each one went over 160,000 miles without an issue. Just about perfect vehicles. (Too bad they discontinued the straight 6, one of the best engines ever made!)

BUT!.......I travel every week for business and I rent a car or two every week. Last week I was in Atlanta and I was given a Jeep Patriot from Enterprise Rental Car.......I'm here to tell you, that is the second worse vehicle I've ever driven in my life (The worse is the Chevy Crusier little panel truck thing). The Patriot has zero "get up and go". Feels like it has a slipping snowmobile transmission. Step on the gas, have a ham sandwich, and by the time you are done eating you will be through the intersection. Borders on dangerous. The handling is terrible. Way too much understeer and horrible body roll. And don't even get me started on the brakes (or lack of)!

My oldest daughter and her husband have a 2007 Wrangler......Fantastic vehicle. I might get one of these someday. And my second daughter has a Liberty that we used to tow a double axle U-Haul trailer from Massachusetts to California, including huge mountain passes without a whimper. Great vehicle. She has nearly 200K on it without anything going wrong.

Jeeps are great, but drive a KIA or a Hundai small SUV if you want to see what a GREAT car for the money feels like! When I rent I try to get Hundai vehicles if I can. Best bang for the buck on the road............Period!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

rbertalotto wrote:First off, I'm a real Jeep "nut"........I've owned a bunch of them, including a couple Jeep pick-up trucks. I had three Jeep Grand Cherokees in a row and each one went over 160,000 miles without an issue. Just about perfect vehicles. (Too bad they discontinued the straight 6, one of the best engines ever made!)

BUT!.......I travel every week for business and I rent a car or two every week. Last week I was in Atlanta and I was given a Jeep Patriot from Enterprise Rental Car.......I'm here to tell you, that is the second worse vehicle I've ever driven in my life (The worse is the Chevy Crusier little panel truck thing). The Patriot has zero "get up and go". Feels like it has a slipping snowmobile transmission. Step on the gas, have a ham sandwich, and by the time you are done eating you will be through the intersection. Borders on dangerous. The handling is terrible. Way too much understeer and horrible body roll. And don't even get me started on the brakes (or lack of)!

My oldest daughter and her husband have a 2007 Wrangler......Fantastic vehicle. I might get one of these someday. And my second daughter has a Liberty that we used to tow a double axle U-Haul trailer from Massachusetts to California, including huge mountain passes without a whimper. Great vehicle. She has nearly 200K on it without anything going wrong.

Jeeps are great, but drive a KIA or a Hundai small SUV if you want to see what a GREAT car for the money feels like! When I rent I try to get Hundai vehicles if I can. Best bang for the buck on the road............Period!

Wife ain't getting the Subaru and she don't even know it. :oops: :o
Got a call from a friend that works at a large dealership and said he has the perfect vehicle for my wife.

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4WD--------------29,820 miles with almost 3 years of warranty left.
5 speed/2.0L and gets 20/24 miles to the gallon.
$11,990(bought it)

Reminds me of our 2001 Ford Escape which we love but (4WD) :D

He said it books for over $15K and if I didn't buy it(I did)it would be gone by tomorrow evening.Said the engine/tranny is actually joint venture with Kia/Hyundia
Will pick it up this weekend,they took it to the body shop to fix couple tiny blems I noticed. :lol:
Oh,4 new Winter force tires w/stickers still on too. :oops:

Hope she likes it(it's white??)
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Great car for a Great price!

If he has anotherone, I'd buy it!

Good luck with it..............Drive it like you stole it (Which you just about did!)
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, congrats. Now you need to post a pic or two... :P
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

ya, he just called and said it will be about 2 weeks before they can get to it,do I want to drive it till the appointment???(they got about 20 ahead of me)
I said---Nope, park it where no one screws with it/lock it/and don't let anyone drive it. :lol: :oops:
He said,no one will mark it up or anything(or we will have to fix it again) :lol:
Just in time for Christmas!
And looking at all the paperwork this sucker is even a 6 cylinder w 5 speed, thought it had guts!(it even wholesales at $12500 or trade in at $13100) :lol:
Should I dump it????????????? :lol: