Rifleman coming back??????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Rifleman coming back??????

Post by draperjojo »

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - CBS is taking aim at a television classic.

The network is rebooting the Chuck Connors series "The Rifleman," the late-1950s ABC Western about Civil War vet and widower Lucas McCain, who takes his son and his hot-rodded Winchester rifle and settles in the New Mexico territory of North Fork, an individual familiar with the project confirms to TheWrap.

"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" director Chris Columbus will be directing the project, with "Shutter Island" scribe Laeta Kalogridis and "Drive Angry" writer Patrick Lussier on board to write.

CBS Television Studios and Carol Mendelsohn Productions will produce.

The original series ran on ABC from 1958 to 1963, and was unique in that it was one of the first primetime series to portray a widowed parent raise a child.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Rifleman coming back??????

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hmmmm. Well, I hope they bring back the main star of the show - the large-looped Winchester. Knowing Hollywierd, they will probably PC it up so bad it will make us all want to puke! :roll:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What if they decide to modernize the story?

MOdern Lucas is the GGG of Lucas from the original series.

Lucas will be an african-american former-SEAL, and his rifle will be a modified AK-47. The original 1892 is demilled and hangs above the big-screen in the living room.

He's trying to raise Mark, his gender-confused teen nephew, who is trying to stay out of the gang life.

Sherrif Micah Torrence will be played by a latino woman whose girlfriend is Ms. Milie, the helpless white owner of the local coffee shop.

Think of the plot and "moral of the story" possibilities...

:o
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FWiedner wrote:What if they decide to modernize the story?

Lucas will be an african-american former-SEAL, and his rifle will be a modified AK-47. The original 1892 is demilled and hangs above the big-screen in the living room.

He's trying to raise Mark, his gender-confused teen nephew, who is trying to stay out of the gang life.

Sherrif Micah Torrence will be played by a latino woman whose girlfriend is Ms. Milie, the helpless white owner of the local coffee shop.

Sounds about right... :roll:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

One of my favorites (the original). Mark got Pa into trouble it seemed every other episode by either disobeying or other misdeed - "I thought I told you..!" - "But I thought..." - and it was funny to watch the same actors every third episode as different guest characters, but it was a cool show--and offered a start for a lot of actors who became big later on. If they "bring it back" as an actual old-days western, I hope they give it some "true grit" and I'll look forward to adjusting the TV settings back to black & white! To me, when the good ol' shows turned color (or were from the start) and introduced more and more "family" stories, a lot of the charm went away. Shows like "Alias Smith and Jones" with their 70s Michael Landon hairdos and poorly scripted yuk yuk banter never quite cut it for me, and in many episodes Gunsmoke became "Little House On The Prairie With A Gun." :)

Post Script - maybe start where the other left off - conceivably close enough to 1892 to make his gun period-correct :) - and Mark, 18 or so is now more an equal partner on the ranch with his own gun now to actually help out (versus just watching help(worth)less as the bad guys beat the smithereens out of Pa - with the perfectly good '92 lying in the dirt at mortified Mark's feet!). Ah, but without Mark causing all the trouble, where to get the stories?!
Last edited by gak on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am not a big fan of REMAKES! IMO, all that tells me is that the THINK TANK of screen writers is suckin fumes and dont deserve their salries!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

They'll screw it up.
Guaranteed prophesy. :)
Denis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IF it is a western, I'll wait to review it before I start casting about for ways to figure it'll be worthless. And the show's premise has merit in today's leader vacuum... lot's of possibilities to make it both period and currently relevant.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

I wish they'd just leave it alone. We've got a cable network here that runs the old black and white episodes every night. They're still great !

Somehow, I don't see modern hollyweird allowing the show to start with Lucas McCain, walking down the street, firing his Winchester as fast as he can. Guess that's half the reason I love the old show so much now. As kids, we just plain loved it for what it was. Seeing it as an adult now, it boggles my mind how un-PC the show is today. Still, there are always good moral lessons for Mark, and also solid moral lessons for "grownups" too.

I hope they just leave the old show alone. Come up with something new and original, and (dare we hope) good too. That would be a truly pleasant surprise. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

For as long as I can remember its been my 10 year old son's fav show on tv. I would love to see them do a real western on that primis.......and hope they do it the correct way and not slughter such a good show.
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

Might need a few vampires. And zombies.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

We dont need a remake of it....
Theres nothing better than the original....
watch it everyday during dinner....

anybody seen Hell on Wheels on AMC....I missed it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I didnt know about it (and don't have a TV), just heard about it 2 nites ago. I watched it here

http://www.amctv.com/shows/hell-on-wheels

It was not bad, but the gun stuff is a bit weak.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It will probably be clogged with filth, like Deadwood, and no clear-cut right and wrong lessons ...
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Deadwood was great, but why bring back "The Rifleman"? Personally, I can't see it. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Nobody could mess up as much as they did in the Rutger Hauer version of Wanted Dead or Alive, again could they?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jeepnik wrote:

Nobody could mess up as much as they did in the Rutger Hauer version of Wanted Dead or Alive, again could they?
Rutger Hauer as Josh Randall?! Am I glad that I missed that one.

Back to the "Rifleman", I cannot imagine ANY of the current TV/movie actors that could play a convincing Lucas McCain.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

you can be sure Lucas will be PC - not the angry intolerant man that Chuck Connors portrayed.

Let's just hope he doesn't have a boyfriend.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

damienph wrote:Back to the "Rifleman", I cannot imagine ANY of the current TV/movie actors that could play a convincing Lucas McCain.
You can't see Samuel L. Jackson or LL Cool J as Lucas McCain?

:?:

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

damienph wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

Rutger Hauer as Josh Randall?! Am I glad that I missed that one.

Back to the "Rifleman", I cannot imagine ANY of the current TV/movie actors that could play a convincing Lucas McCain.

No one these days seems to have the presence of men the likes of John Wayne, Chuck Connors and James Arness.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Rube Burrows wrote:
No one these days seems to have the presence of men the likes of John Wayne, Chuck Connors and James Arness.
+1. It'd be great to see Tom Sellek do a "series" like Jesse Stone, but a western. I was scanning my brain for someone else big, even if just physically (to start with) and came up with nothing.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I see you've had your TV on recently.

The liberals running Hollywood apparently are incapable of an original thought.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gak wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:
+1. It'd be great to see Tom Sellek do a "series" like Jesse Stone, but a western. I was scanning my brain for someone else big, even if just physically (to start with) and came up with nothing.

Its tough.....everyone is afraid to be Type Cast these days and dont want to do several of the same style movie. Tom Sellek is one of the guys who I wish would do more westerns cause he actually cares. Him and Kevin Costner. I know some people dont like Kevin Costner movies but I have enjoyed most if not all of his westerns.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

FWiedner wrote:
damienph wrote:Back to the "Rifleman", I cannot imagine ANY of the current TV/movie actors that could play a convincing Lucas McCain.
You can't see Samuel L. Jackson or LL Cool J as Lucas McCain?

:?:

:wink:

I'm trying... but... Nope, I just can't see either of them as Lucas McCain!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) in the role of Lucas. Not that I want that, but he seems to want to play hero. I really cannot think of anyone currently whom I would like to see as Lucas. Mark could be a little more grown up. We watch the original series at least once a week.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...Dolph Lundgren:

...as Lucas McCain...

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Dolph Lundgren? Swedish accent... He might look the part but I always think of him as the Russian boxer (Ivan?) in one of the Rocky movies.

Hey, there you go, he could play the new PC Rifleman Lucas McCain who always leaves his rifle at home because can settle all disputes through a combination of his boxing and martial arts skill.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

damienph wrote:
Hey, there you go, he could play the new PC Rifleman Lucas McCain who always leaves his rifle at home because can settle all disputes through a combination of his boxing and martial arts skill.
You mean like McGiver, who would regularly let dozens of innocents die all around him and the bad guys commit major destruction for lack of a gun? :) Unfortunately, you may think you jest but are likely closer to what the new Rifleman reality would be.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

How about a gay Asian Lucas McCain? :lol:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Senior Levergunner

Stale news; announced in Variety last week in October

Post by 2571 »

"You can't see Samuel L. Jackson or LL Cool J as Lucas McCain?"

I don't know what your motives might be with these late suggestions.

Eddie Murphy has already been announced as the lead actor.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

The only actors that I can see making this work are Tom Selleck and Rick Schroder.

Tom as Lucas, Rick as Mark.

Lucas is aging and still widowed, Mark is middle aged and has a cute wife and a brood of kids. All living on the old ranch, with the house expanded.

Mark has pretty much taken his dad's place as the town savior, but the old man gets riled every once in a while and arrives just in time to save Mark's bacon.

The usual generational disagreements and tensions will be there, as well as the conflicts between Lucas' old ways and the changing of the times.

Otherwise, it's gonna stink. :roll:
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

homefront wrote:The only actors that I can see making this work are Tom Selleck and Rick Schroder.

Tom as Lucas, Rick as Mark.

Lucas is aging and still widowed, Mark is middle aged and has a cute wife and a brood of kids. All living on the old ranch, with the house expanded.

Mark has pretty much taken his dad's place as the town savior, but the old man gets riled every once in a while and arrives just in time to save Mark's bacon.

The usual generational disagreements and tensions will be there, as well as the conflicts between Lucas' old ways and the changing of the times.

Otherwise, it's gonna stink. :roll:
You know, I think that could work! You ought to write tv shows. What you just suggested is one heck of a lot better than 99% of the stuff that's on there now!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I agree. That's a real idea.

A show I'd watch.

:)

Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

If they want someone who can handle a rifle like Lucas, they need to cast another baseball player. When they hired Conners, they were testing actors by tossing a rifle to them as they walked in and seeing how badly they fumbled it. Conners, recently "retired" from baseball, caught it like it was tossed by a batboy.

In other words, don't hire a Hollywood pretty boy. Hire an unknown. Learning to act like a cowboy has to be easier for a guy who already knows how to act like a man.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Tumbleweeds II wrote:If they want someone who can handle a rifle like Lucas, they need to cast another baseball player. When they hired Conners, they were testing actors by tossing a rifle to them as they walked in and seeing how badly they fumbled it. Conners, recently "retired" from baseball, caught it like it was tossed by a batboy.

In other words, don't hire a Hollywood pretty boy. Hire an unknown. Learning to act like a cowboy has to be easier for a guy who already knows how to act like a man.
You'd need a guy with long arms lest he lose a tooth twirling the rifle. How 'bout Viggo Mortensen. I liked him in Appoloosa with Ed Harris.
Viggo:
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Tom Berenger as Lucas?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Damienph, I like the general trend of your thinking, but differ in detail:
I think Lucas should still be the main bad guy getter--or at least co-equal with Mark, who is now at least old enough to be more asset than liability, fully partnered in sharing ranch duties as well as handy with his own 92 and/or Colt to help Pa out of the tough spots. I also think the reverse marriage situation. It's high time ol' Lucas quit bothering the sheep out on the north forty :) and took a wife--a Partricia Blair type (wasn't she great?). They build Mark his own cabin a stone's throw away. He's either been burned himself or experienced his own loss, and so is commitment shy but has his flings, shades of Pa in the old days. I think kids would muddle things and run the risk of turning it into "Little House on the Prairie With An Occasional Gun" unless you did the Everybody Loves Raymond trick of leaving them out of most scenes--they'd always gone to bed or were away on a sleep over...thankfully keeping it mostly an adult show.

I think Lucas needs to still be vital enough, and be big physically to be able kick hind end and take names. Conners could really deliver a punch, even a brutal back-hand swat, a lot of that coming from the long arm leverage delivered from a pretty substantial frame. He was imposing physically as well as the towering moral/character voice of the community. Dennis Haysbert comes to mind - I think I read something 6'-4"'ish, just a hair under Conners', kicks pretty good derriere and gives a pretty good speech. Catching a 92 like a baseball bat was mentioned. I think I saw Haysbert on The Unit pretty adeptly catch an M-16 or more without batting an eye. You also never got the idea that Mark was going to grow up as outwardly rough 'n tough as Lucas, so the choice of Rick Schroeder's a good match. Haysbert's adopted child? :)
There you go. Guess I changed more than kept afterall!
Last edited by gak on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOBS, BOYS !!!!!!!!!

The "new" Lucas McCain..? Brad Johnson..! No contest!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Mark Valley of Human Target's another - at 5-10 or so a little short (in my book) for Lucas,but maybe as Mark?