Browning 1886 barrel fit?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Motex66
Levergunner

Browning 1886 barrel fit?

Post by Motex66 »

Will a Browning 1886 barrel screw into an original Winchester action. Are the threads the same? I have an one that needs rebarreled or lined. There is one in the classifieds. Just wondering
Thanks, Johni
muskeg13
Levergunner

Re: Browning 1886 barrel fit?

Post by muskeg13 »

No. The shank and threads are different. Browning and Miroku actions and barrels are interchangeable (made with the same tooling), but they are not interchangeable with original Winchesters.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It may be possible to rethead a Miroku barrel, but I don't know. At the least, the shank could be cut an inch and set back to rethread it, but it wouldn't be the correct length.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

Shorter barrel means shorter mag tube l would.like it to look factory. Is the wood interchangeable between the Japanese guns and the old? Just throwing out questions to get collective.knowledge. lt isn't ever going to be factory but I don't want it to look far from it.
Thanks,
John
Last edited by Motex66 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

What would be the least expensive
route to make this old gun back into a shooter. It has been reblued at some point. Woods not the best. The bore is verry ruff. I have read of relined bores in smaller calibers working well. How are they in larger bores. Would I be better off getting a custom made barrel?
Thanks,
John
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

What caliber is it? If one of the smaller bores it might be possible to re-bore it. I have a couple of old Winchesters that have been relined and both of them shoot just great. Redman liners. Best thing about liners is they retain the old barrel markings which may not mean much to some.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

New barrels that are marked as original are available from several sources, one in particular being Mike Hunter. He frequents the forum so may get a word in. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

45-70 don't really want to change calibers.
John
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

Mike D. Thanks. for the lead.Mike Hunters web sight was an easy search. Looks like he could do it all. That just leaves getting the cash.
Thank-you
John
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Motex66 wrote:Shorter barrel means shorter mag tube l would.like it to look factory. Is the wood interchangeable between the Japanese guns and the old? Just throwing out questions to get collective.knowledge. lt isn't ever going to be factory but I don't want it to look far from it.
Thanks,
John
the wood can be fit fairly easily-we have done it
cable