Found a A-5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Found a A-5

Post by Pitchy »

Bought a Browning A-5 today, got it for 250.00, tickled pink. :D

Click on last picture for range report, the milk bottle is kinda hard to see in the sun.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: Found a A-5

Post by damienph »

NICE!!! I would gladly pay $250 for just about any Auto 5. Is it Belgian or Japanese? Good deal either way, just asking.

The classic semi auto shotgun. Like the round pistol grip and the solid rib. Good looking gun there, Pitchy.

I liked your video too!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"Found an A-5"

Did you ever, you totally scored big time on that sweet gem
Pitchy. :shock: :wink:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

damienph wrote:NICE!!! I would gladly pay $250 for just about any Auto 5. Is it Belgian or Japanese? Good deal either way, just asking.

The classic semi auto shotgun. Like the round pistol grip and the solid rib. Good looking gun there, Pitchy.

I liked your video too!
Thanks it`s a Belgian, six didget starting with 270,000
I planned on cutting the barrel to 20 and using it for a home deffence gun but i`m not sure if i should. The stock has been shortened and there are a few pits on the outside of the barrel.
thoughts?
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

casastahle wrote:"Found an A-5"

Did you ever, you totally scored big time on that sweet gem
Pitchy. :shock: :wink:
I'll second that.. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pitchy wrote:
damienph wrote:NICE!!! I would gladly pay $250 for just about any Auto 5. Is it Belgian or Japanese? Good deal either way, just asking.

I liked your video too!
I planned on cutting the barrel to 20 and using it for a home deffence gun but i`m not sure if i should. The stock has been shortened and there are a few pits on the outside of the barrel.
thoughts?
Pitchy.......... I'm going to kick your Fanny from here to tim-buck-to if you cut that barrel. (Brotherly Love Showing) :)
Please don't do it... That little pup is worth 2 to 3 times what you paid for it
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Pitchy wrote:

I liked your video too!
thoughts?

I think that it could make a good HD gun but if it were mine I would probably leave as is and hunt with it. How short is the buttstock, would a spacer and a new pad make it long enough?

I guess what I am saying is those old solid rib barrels are just too cool to cut down and stick in the closet or behind the door; take that old Belgian hunting. Cut down a plain round barrel for a HD gun.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Just looked up the serial number, it`s a 1949.
Not sure how much was cut of the stock, it measures 11 inches without the pad, it comes up pretty good as is.
I`m hearing ya brothers.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

You got a good deal there for sure. I picked up a magnum version last week and paid $375 and thought I did good. They sure are fun to shoot and almost as habit forming as levers. I tried mine last Friday behind my house shoots 1 1/4oz lead and 3" steel no problem (choke is modified). I even shot a partridge with it as I was walking out of the bush. It took off to my right and flew behind me. I swung around shouldered and fired in one motion.(i'm left handed) either it fits me right or I was VERY luck. :D :D
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

damienph wrote:
Pitchy wrote:

I liked your video too!
thoughts?

I think that it could make a good HD gun but if it were mine I would probably leave as is and hunt with it. How short is the buttstock, would a spacer and a new pad make it long enough?

I guess what I am saying is those old solid rib barrels are just too cool to cut down and stick in the closet or behind the door; take that old Belgian hunting. Cut down a plain round barrel for a HD gun.
Amen 8)
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Now for a tech question, as i posted above this is a 1949 model.
When loading i have to push in the bolt release button in order to get a shell in the bottom, bolt open or closed. Is that normal?
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

My Remington model 11 circa 1939 (basically the same shotgun) is the same. I just drop a round in the open action, push the action release button and it loads. I then flip it over push and hold the button and load 2 more. My magnum has a 2 piece lifter and loads without holding the release button.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

iceman wrote:My Remington model 11 circa 1939 (basically the same shotgun) is the same. I just drop a round in the open action, push the action release button and it loads. I then flip it over push and hold the button and load 2 more. My magnum has a 2 piece lifter and loads without holding the release button.
Cool, thanks, i`m good to go, and still tickled pink. :D
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I believe that that is standard on the older guns. Sometime in the mid '50s Browning introduced the "speed loading" feature that let you just push the lifter up without pushing the release button.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very nice. That is a classic shotgun.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

damienph wrote:I believe that that is standard on the older guns. Sometime in the mid '50s Browning introduced the "speed loading" feature that let you just push the lifter up without pushing the release button.
Nice to know, i`m feelin good. :mrgreen:
Thanks KirkD
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Pitchy,! good thing that jug didn't have feathers. U had 1 too many rounds in there. U done good. I have one about the same age only in 3" Mag. haven't fired Mine yet. Only had it for 2 years, no sense gettin in a Hurry.
Oh and I concur with the rest. DONT CUT That barrel. If U want a home defense gun I have a Win 1400 I'll sell U for $225 and U can cut the devil out of it. LOL
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice addition to the group there, Pitchy.
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Perry, ya it looks like the barrel stays stock, i have a Mossy 590 for a HD gun anyway. Thanks for the offer though.

Thanks Kim, she`s a beauty alright. :D
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wow nice rifle, really like the way the wood looks. Which shop did you get it at? Hope I didnt miss it on my way home last Tuesday :P Glad you found it. Still need me to look for a Model 11 still ? :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pitchy,

You did real good with that find. Now go hunt something with it. Can't let Game Keeper and Nath have all the fun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I had that gun (great buy!) I'd likely be cutting it back. BUT, that's me, you got it and likely for a reason. I think YOU might be better served by a nice pad (get rid of that old pad) properly fit to the gun to give a skosh more stock length. That's if you measured length of pull from the center of the trigger back to the pad center. Check out the springs, Brownells has a spring kit if you need it, which will help preserve the old girl. She's probably got the original springs and they do need replacing now and again.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Pitchy wrote:Now for a tech question, as i posted above this is a 1949 model.
When loading i have to push in the bolt release button in order to get a shell in the bottom, bolt open or closed. Is that normal?
Yes, that's normal for the year of your gun. They went to what was called an Easy Load in sometime in the 60's where you didn't have to push the button anymore.

Don't cut that solid ribbed barrel, it's in decent shape at all. The solid ribbed barrels are harder to come by. Go to some gun shows and find a second barrel worth the money or check Gunbroker.com, or somewhere. You could get a rifle sighted deer barrel for it, also. of about 21 inches that would make a good home defense gun without having to cut it off, but sometimes you can pick up cut barrel worth the money at gunshows, etc.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I keep an A5 for home defense, just like yours with the front triggerguard safety. It just so happens that mine has a heavy ribbed cut barrel on it, with an old Cutt's compensator on it, but mine came that way. It is about 26 inches overall.

I keep the mag loaded on it, with the magazine cutoff in the cutoff position. That way, someone who doesn't know what he is doing can't load it, until he figured it out, but I can in a flash, so I think it safer to keep around loaded, in case the wrong hands get ahold if it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice. I had a newer version browning with a slug barrel. It was the firearm I shot my 700# black bear with. A fantastic shotgun. When I got home from the hunt, I grabbed the gun case to take it in the house, and the shotgun slid out (cause it wasnt fully zippered) hit the ground and split the stock. I was too young and too dumb to just replace the stock, but instead wound up selling the A-5. You have done very well and I wish you years of happy shooting. blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks everyone, i`ll look around for a second barrel, maybe a smooth one to cut back.
Todd nope ya can quit lookin, found it at Reeds. :D
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Took it to a Buddy's and shot some clays, that baby shoots good 8) the choke seems to be modified. Barrel length is 29 1/2 to the chamber so not sure what it is, a dime is pretty loose in the end. I measured wrong on the stock, it`s 13 1/2 in from trigger guard too the end of pad
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pitchy wrote:Took it to a Buddy's and shot some clays, that baby shoots good 8) the choke seems to be modified. Barrel length is 29 1/2 to the chamber so not sure what it is, a dime is pretty loose in the end. I measured wrong on the stock, it`s 13 1/2 in from trigger guard too the end of pad
So the stock might not have been cut or cut just about enough to allow for the pad (I just can't remember but somebody here KNOWS :lol: ). As to the barrel length, measure muzzle to breech face, should be 28" give or take a bit. I have never found the dime to be an accurate measure of choke because choke is the difference between the bore and the most constricted part of the actual choke. PERFORMANCE of said choke very much depends on the ammunition used. I'm not sure about that vintage but I believe that Browning coded the choke description using asterisks (*). IIRC this would be the correct code...

'*' designates full choke (F)
'*-' designates improved modified choke (IM)
'**' designates modified choke (M)
'**-' designates improved cylinder choke (IC)
'**$' designates skeet (SK)
'***' designates cylinder bore (CYL)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Barrel measures 29 1/2 inches, took it off and measured and put a stick down the barrel with clossed bolt and got the same. There are two asterisk on the barrel so it`s modified. As for barrel length what i`ve read there was a 28 and a 30 with the 30 being full choke. Sooooo i`m not sure on the barrel length, it doesn`t look like it was cut off.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hobie thanks for the help, took a couple pictures to see if we can figure this out. The address is correct for the year, not sure about the asterisks there are two but spaced quite aways apart. Could it be someone cut a 1/2 inch off a 30 inch barrel and the asterisks are a single stamped twice.

A pic of the front sight and bore.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats! What a great find!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pitchy,

We'd call that 30" and Modified. As you know, but some readers might not, one can only be certain how a barrel patterns by actually shooting it for pattern with the intended ammunition. I've seen some rather open barrels shoot very tight patterns and some rather tight barrels made to shoot nice open patterns by varying the ammunition. An old trick, that.

Sad to say for some here but if I got a good price on that gun I'd make sure I had new springs, cut the barrel move the bead to the proper position on the new barrel, ensure the friction ring was forward for the heavy loads and make it an HD gun. We just don't have the birds around here to justify another shotgun otherwise. No more quail, grouse disappearing, dove populations down, no more pheasant, can't get permission to hunt geese or ducks... That's ME, not you. Seems to me the gun suits you as is.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Hobie, the guy a friend at the gun shop took it apart and looked it over and said he thought that the gun hadn`t been shot that much. He seemed to know what to check. I tried low base shells on the high base setting and it wouldn`t eject the shell which is a good sign i guess. Put the brake in the low base setting and we ran a box and a half through it with no problems. Had a guy tell me today that it wouldn`t make a good HD gun that they won`t function shooting from the hip. So i loaded it up and held it loosly from my side and emptied it as fast as i could pull the trigger. The thing that is keeping me from cutting it down is it seems hard and expensive to find another barrel that will fit this older gun.
I`m heading to a gun shop in the morn to look at a light weight with 26 in Im barrel tomorrow that looks like new, a heads up from a buddy.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

There is only one thing I would do with that gun?

Enjoy it :lol:
That's a find and I would keep er just as she is! (Nice)
Congrats------that is an awesome score.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Pitchy wrote:I`m heading to a gun shop in the morn to look at a light weight with 26 in Im barrel tomorrow that looks like new, a heads up from a buddy.
Careful, slippery slope!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well some of ya are going to be mad and some will like it but this is why i bought the gun in the first place. Cut it too 18 1/2 inches, have to get a tap to put the bead back on.

These guns are all over the place around here and this barrel was pitted bad the last ten inches anyway.
I love it.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

Hey pitchy, soon as I heal up a bit, I will dig around, I have a barrel that was already cut off when I bought the gun, I own 6 auto 5's the sweet sixteen with ventilated rib being my very favorite of all, I got hit by a car while on my motorcycle, was sitting still waiting to turn left when I was hit from behind by a woman doing at least 45 mph, she never hit the skids until after she hit me, said she never seen me, :shock: but anyhow soon as I am able to get around better I will dig through my " junk room " as my g/friend calls it and see if I can find the barrel, if it's not in that room it will be in the barn and might take me alil longer
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

azzhandler wrote:Hey pitchy, soon as I heal up a bit, I will dig around, I have a barrel that was already cut off when I bought the gun, I own 6 auto 5's the sweet sixteen with ventilated rib being my very favorite of all, I got hit by a car while on my motorcycle, was sitting still waiting to turn left when I was hit from behind by a woman doing at least 45 mph, she never hit the skids until after she hit me, said she never seen me, :shock: but anyhow soon as I am able to get around better I will dig through my " junk room " as my g/friend calls it and see if I can find the barrel, if it's not in that room it will be in the barn and might take me alil longer
That`s how it works, soon as i cut it off someone has one :lol: now i need a barrel that ain`t cut off. :lol:
Naw no biggie i like it this way and plan on buying or trading for a couple more, thanks for the offer though.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pitchy,

It looks great! Now I REALLY to look for one. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Hobie and everyone else, hope ya find one.

The perfect couple.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Oh oh, hope ya all don`t hold it against me too long. :roll:
Put the bead on it this morn, looks good, now have to shoot it again, vid anyone??
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

As Tim Allen says "Rahrarhrarh!" :mrgreen:
Hobie wrote:Pitchy,

It looks great! Now I REALLY to look for one. :lol:
I feel your pain. Is there an A5 wanters support group? :lol:
Pitchy wrote:The perfect couple.

Brother, that's hard to argue against. In more ways than one! :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sweet!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Don`t let anyone tell you ya can`t shoot a A5 from the hip that it won`t function.
I`m shooting Estate low base 7 1/2 at five yards from the hip and eight yards from the shoulder.
Most fun. 8)

Videos, click on pictures

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Back in 1972-1973 we shot skeet with a Mr. Shifflett from Elkton, VA (since deceased) who used an A-5. He could shoot station 8 from the hip. Sometimes he'd show off and shoot doubles from a station, from the hip. He just liked to shoot, hunt grouse and quail (neither of which are much in evidence nowadays), and visit. He never had a malfunction with that gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:shock: cool 8)
So far i`m pretty impressed with it and it has replaced my Mossy 590 :)
I decided not to go look at the light model, i don`t need any more, i don`t need any more, i don`t need any more, i don`t need any more. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pitchy wrote:I decided not to go look at the light model, i don`t need any more, i don`t need any more, i don`t need any more, i don`t need any more. :lol:
Famous last words. And besides, no one likes a quitter... :lol:

At Ft Campbell I shot skeet with a bunch of military retirees on a regular basis. One was named Sonny and he used a Sportsman 58 (or something similar) with a Cutts compensator and he was in his mid-70s at least. Sonny had suffered a shoulder injury as a child and grew up shooting with the butt tucked under his shoulder. He'd run 25 straight with nauseating regularity. At least it was nauseating to someone who'd just started skeet shooting and could barely break 10 per session. :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I remember when there was a functioning skeet range at every AFB I went to, courtesy of General Curtis LeMay.
Sincerely,

Hobie

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Pitchy, Pitchy, Pitchy....
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Long time lurker, seldom poster here with a suggestion, Pitchy.

Here is my Model 11 before:

All you need now is one of these:
This is my Remington Model 11 with an extension tube so it now holds 8.
If you are wanting to know anything about how to do it just let me know.

Good luck with your new A5!
John