Ruger Bisley / Cast Bullet Problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger Bisley / Cast Bullet Problems

Post by kmittleman »

Hey Folks,

I've been loading some different recipes for my Ruger Bisley in .44 mag and have been having a bear of a time getting it to group. First let me say that the 240 gr Winchesters and Hornady's are fine ; they group at about an inch @ 25yds. However, I got some Beartooth 250 gr WFNGC that won't group at all. I've been trying to reach Beartooth, but can never get through either by phone or email. I've tried loading up and down with both 2400 and Unique and no luck. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Bisley / Cast Bullet Problems

Post by earlmck »

My first thought is that if you've been shooting jacketed bullets a bunch, make sure you get the copper pretty well out of the barrel before getting serious about cast bullet accuracy.

And my second thought is that, as you know, perfectly good revolvers sometimes just don't like certain perfectly good bullets.

Sorry I don't have any specific load stuff for you on this one, Kevin. Haven't worked with that bullet. My standard load for the 44 is a 280 grain wfn (plain base) that I load pretty hot with H110 and it shoots nice (but still not 1" group nice) in my Ruger Redhawks.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Have you slugged the barrel on your Ruger and are the bullets appropriately sized?

I have a .44 Blackhawk, and for the longest time when I first got into casting my groups were looking like shotgun patterns. I was sizing them at .429. I learned about slugging the barrel, and when I did so I learned my barrel was .430 and I needed cast bullets that were .01 bigger than the bore. I use .431 bullets now and have no problems at all. No fouling and the groups have tightened up tremendously.

Just a thought.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

+2 on slugging the bore. I'd also check the mouth of all the chambers. I seem to remember Ruger sending out some .44's a few years ago that had something like .430 bores and .429 chamber mouths.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've had good luck with my Ruger by sizing the bullet to the same size as the cylinder throats (throats measure .431" so I size bullets to .431"). Bore slugs at about .429" so I get a perfect fit. Measure your bullets diameter and check/compare to cylinder throats (you can slug the throats just like you slug the bbl., or use pin gauges). I shoot a lot of Lyman 429421 bullets cast from wheel weights and get no leading...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Can't say enough about slugging the bore so you get bullets correctly sized. And my Bisley Vaquero and me like 20:1 alloy (lead:tin) purchased from Rotometals better other alloys. But, you and your gun might be happier with a different recipe. Keep shooting. I'm on my 3rd brick of primers, and my gun still can't read my mind.

rimrock
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

+1 on slugging the bore. .001-.002" over won't hurt, but it is especially critical on meauring the cylinder chamber mouths. I have a Colt SAA that has a .427" bore, but has .432-.433" chamber mouths. My .431" bullets did OK, but groups shrank when I started sizing the bullets to .433" for the chamber mouths. .006" over bore is quite a bit, but thats what the gun likes. If your bore is .429" and your chambers are .431", then I would size to .431". Measure your Beartooth bullets and see how they fit in the the chamber mouths of the cylinder. I suspect they might be a bit too small.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

After slugging your throats, slug your barrel...carefully. Pay CLOSE attention to where the barrel threads into the frame.

Many times rather than face off the front of the frame a thou or two, the wrench gorillas just torque the barrel tighter to get it into alignment. Over torquing causes the frame to act like a draw collet squeezing the forcing cone area smaller than original diameter.

Besides having CAS ream the throats on my .45 Colt Bisley, I had to hand lap between 3 and 4 thousandths of constriction out of the forcing cone area.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".