My .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

My .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk

Post by Swampman »

Super Blackhawk hammer, action job and spring kit, Curly Mesquite Grips by CLC.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Outstanding !! How Sweet It Is ! :wink:
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Very, very nice!! I love Ruger single actions. Like the 4 5/8" barrel. Good looking grips too, I like the flat bottom instead of the factory beveled bottom.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

bet that stainless makes being swampman a little easier. :wink:
Last edited by pokey on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice PPP there. Looks right handy. Thanks for the pics.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! Bet that stainless steel finish comes in handy "in the swamp", swampman! :wink:
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice set up.
It is not the critic who counts
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

if you are giving it away, i'll take it off your hands :mrgreen:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Knife and handgrips both the same wood?
Really! Nice.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Very Nice , Makes Me want one.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
kkoi
Levergunner

Post by kkoi »

Mine is similar, except it's blued. It makes an excellent partner to my Rossi 1892 45 Colt lever. Both fire the Blazer 200-grain jacketed hollow point and the Ultramax 250-grain round nose flat point flawlessly. To obtain the full joy of 45 Colt shooting, try the Buffalo Bore Heavy 45 Colt +P 300-grain jacketed flat nose. With this round, get a good grip and hang on when you drop the Blackhawk hammer. Nate Kiowa Jones recommends against the Buffalo Bore 325-grain Heavy 45 Colt +P with the Rossi because it might not feed properly.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Swampman,

That is a nice Blackhawk. Love those grips. Nothing personal meant by this you understand, but why in the world do folks ugly up a nice looking BH with the horrid looking SBH hammer? Ugh.

I'll bet mine shoots farther than yours ............. :mrgreen:
CLC yellowed AM Holley grips web a.JPG
Custom taller front sight
Throats reamed to .4525"
11º forcing cone
Custom American Holley grips by CLC Custom Grips.

BeeeegaBOOOM!!!

Just funning with you.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

This is the second .45 I've owned with the SBH hammer. I kinda like it. I don't believe the knife scales are the same wood, but the color is similar.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I was thinking once of getting a Mantado but changed my mind. I'd have to find a regular hammer and do some other things and well, I figured it wasn't worth it.

Are those CLC grips on your gun?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

With CLC making those grips, do you need to send in your frame for fitting or do you just order grips from him?
Nice looking blackhawk!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Good looking revolver.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Great looking gun swampman! Now I want one. Love the CLC grips. :mrgreen:
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

That is a very nice sixgun and you will get great enjoyment from it.

I recently fitted my Lipsey's Ruger Flatop 45 (blue) with a SBH and CLC mesquite grips. I really like it. That SBH hammer with it's lower spur and wider pad, makes things much easier to a fellow who has some arthritis in his shooting hand. It was a simple drop in fit in my pistol.

To the fellow that asked, you do need to send your grip frame to CLC for grip fitting. But it is worth it to get correct fitting grips. These grips do not come cheap, but they are worth every penny.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I sent my grip frame in to CLC but you don't have to. I'm picky.

DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

That is one fine looking pistol. I'm not set up to post pics but I guess I'm gonna have to learn.

I've got a blued Blackhawk with the 4-5/8 barrel and the worst fitting Hogue black micarta grips you ever saw. Odd thing though, the grips really help with the handling of recoil so much that I decided to keep 'em on the gun. The grips are actually a little too big on both sides of the rear of the grip. I think that's what helps soften things up a little. Either way, they work, and are still miles better than putting rubber grips on the piece.

Joe, it's funny about the Blackhawk vs. Super Blackhawk hammers. For years I didn't care for the looks of the SBH hammer. But the more I looked at them, the more I liked them. Then got a chance to shoot a SBH at the range one day. Came right home and ordered a SBH hammer for my Blackhawk. It dropped right in. I absolutely love it. Makes single handed cocking much easier and faster, and you know ....now I think it looks way BETTER than the original hammer. :shock:

I like Swampman's grips too; I'll bet my Blackhawk would feel even a little better without the bevel bottomed grip.

Darn good looking and functional shooter you got there Swampman. Thanks for posting these pics. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dixie Boy,

Yeah I've fired the SBHs too. Didn't like the feel of the hammer. I can use the standard hammer just fine. And I can shoot mine fast enough with their standard hammers to out shoot a bunch of old pharts shooting double actions so I'm good there too.

Joe
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I just got back a little while ago from the local pawn shop. They have a 4 5/8" .45 blackhawk in blue with some kind of rubber grips. It seems to be as new. Feels very nice but I would kinda like stainless. $382.00 out the door. Price seems ok. No papers or original grips with it.
dennie
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

dennie,

That's a pretty good price for that gun if it's a New Model. Grips can be had for cheep too.

Was it a New Model or an Old Model?

Joe
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Joe, 'twas a NM, darn it. It is still real nice, and gives me 6 shots to miss with instead of 5. :twisted:
Prolly hold out for a stainless one or a .45C/.45ACP combo.
Then again, this one is here now! :lol:
What to do, what to do.
dennie
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

dennie wrote:I just got back a little while ago from the local pawn shop. They have a 4 5/8" .45 blackhawk in blue with some kind of rubber grips. It seems to be as new. Feels very nice but I would kinda like stainless. $382.00 out the door. Price seems ok. No papers or original grips with it.
dennie
I'd buy it.....I like blued better than stainless.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking grips. They make the whole thing look cool.
Last edited by piller on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Did i come with the extra cylinder for .45 ACP?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Swampman,
Nothing personal meant by this you understand, but why in the world do folks ugly up a nice looking BH with the horrid looking SBH hammer? Ugh.
Joe,
Think, "short thumbs". Mind ya, some folks that make this change don't actually have short thumbs... but in their heads they do... so the change makes sense... to people that have delusions or phobias about short thumbs. :P :P :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:
J Miller wrote:Swampman,
Nothing personal meant by this you understand, but why in the world do folks ugly up a nice looking BH with the horrid looking SBH hammer? Ugh.
Joe,
Think, "short thumbs". Mind ya, some folks that make this change don't actually have short thumbs... but in their heads they do... so the change makes sense... to people that have delusions or phobias about short thumbs. :P :P :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff, OK-I understand now. :lol:

Joe
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Now i want one! I sold my stainless 7.5 BH not long ago and have kicked myself for it ever since ---- It was to a friend of mine that is a roofer and the firearms transaction was part of the deal with my new roof, as he really liked the pistol.

I won't divulge what i sold it for or you guys will think i lost my marbles -- but as i said - it was a "friend deal" and i got a good deal on a roof in turn
----- Doug
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

piller wrote:Did i come with the extra cylinder for .45 ACP?
I didn't want one. I would send it back for one if I could rechamber it into something interesting.

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

OK guys, just got back from the pawn shop a couple hours ago with the NM BH! I have already run several loads thru it from Trail Boss plinkers to 13.5/HS-6. This thing shoots! It put nearly every load I tried to POA. Made me look like a pretty good shot! :o It has a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips on it now. They are OK, but the fake Ruger ivories from my Vaquero look real nice, and fit like custom grips! I also tried a set of scrimshaw fake ivories I picked up somewhere, and they look very nice also.
I wish it had the .45ACP cylinder. My cylinder length is 1.958" in case y'all have a spare lying around! :wink: And, as a plus, the BH weighs 2oz. less loaded than my .357 NM Vaquero when both are loaded with 6 rounds! Nice!
Anyhoo, she's home, and I be very happy!
dennie

PS, Some day I will try to figure the picture thing out.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Sounds like you got a good deal!

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Swampman wrote:
piller wrote:Did i come with the extra cylinder for .45 ACP?
I didn't want one. I would send it back for one if I could rechamber it into something interesting.
If you have no interest in .45ACP; as strong as the Blackhawk is, I would consider a rechamber to either .45 Winchester Magnum or .460 Roland.