Marlin 1889 with a history

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RobertS
Levergunner

Marlin 1889 with a history

Post by RobertS »

My son recently purchased this from an individual, and I would like to find out what you all think about it. It is a Marlin 1889 in 44/40, and comes with a letter dated 1932, from a previous owner, Frank Keene, who states that he obtained it in a trade from a US Border Patrol agent, Captain Ben Lemmington. Lemmington served near Laredo at the Old Salt Mines during the 1890's and "captured" it from a Mexican bandit named Juan Padilla. Pictures follow:

I know that many of you have a keen interest in western history, and I would appreciate your opinions about it. He purchased it for a very reasonable price, even without the story, so no need to worry about hurt feelings. Thanks so much!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1889 with a history

Post by ollogger »

they say a pic. is worth a thousand words
youve got a endless story there
thats really great
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Very nice looking Marlin.

Have you researched any of the history yet to see if maybe you could find something on the men from the letter?

I think its a beautiful gun and story.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That is just too cool,esp like the cal. I like the letter almost as much as the Rifle. Old letters just get My Mind going.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
RobertS
Levergunner

Post by RobertS »

Thanks for the comments, and we have only done some google searches for names, but have not been able to find anything about Captain Lemmington or the bandit Juan Padilla, except that Juan Padilla is apparently a fairly common name. Maybe someone out there knows something or has access to information that is not readily available to the public.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Oh yes! The gun is really great, with maximum "character". But the letter really adds a lot. So many times I have wished I knew some history on an acquisition, especially those showing plenty of good use. And you know, it would add more if your son could get a similar letter from the fellow he got the rifle from, even if that person only owned the rifle a few years. It's possible he knows quite a lot.

My friend Larry just bought the Model 71 that 86er advertised on the forum last week. 86er was able to give us quite a bit of history on the rifle even though he had only had it a short while, which both Larry and I really enjoyed knowing (thanks again, Joe!) so your never know what you can find out until you ask.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry