What happens when you shoot a B92 .44 Mag in the dark?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

What happens when you shoot a B92 .44 Mag in the dark?

Post by vancelw »

You shoot too far back and have to trail a little bit :D
Hog 2011-09-24.jpg
I put up a deer feeder a couple of weeks ago in the woods behind my house. Basically in my backyard. It will be bow season in a week or two and gun season the first weekend in November.
No activity on the feeder for about 6 days, now the hogs are cleaning it up every night, then rooting around in the pasture when the corn is gone.
Tonight my B92 and Ruger SRH in .44 mag and I took to the woods and sat in my stand.
Holy stuff, batman! Deer everywhere! I had at least 4 legal bucks and a total of 6 or 7 bucks all around me. Not what I wanted. I wanted to bust the little hooligan hogs that were stealing the corn. One buck was a heavy 10 point. Come deer season, I'm sure I'll never see him.
The bucks and mature does were very skittish. They would look up at me occasionally, but as long as I wasn't moving, no problem. A little button buck bogarted all the corn. I guess the very fresh hog smell made the wiser deer too nervous to come in to the feeder (which is why I want to shoot the hogs). About dusk most of the deer had moved over into my pasture.

Now it's dark and here comes the pig storm. It sounded just like you'd think a mob of pigs would sound. They were more skittish than the deer. As they came into sight (about 20 of them) I thumbed back the hammer on my levergun as quietly as I could CLICK :shock: Hogs full stop...then ever so carefully back towards the corn. Then something spooked them (maybe a deer???) and they headed back to the deep woods. I picked out one about 40 yards away and let him have it. Pigs ran off. No pig left for me.

It was dark enough I couldn't tell for sure where he was when I shot, so I picked up the blood trail at the fenceline (yes, I have the neighbor's permission) and followed it for a distance through the briars and brambles. The trail stopped and started, but as it continued it became more solid. At its heaviest point, it stopped. I was searching with my light trying to see which direction it went, when I looked into a heavy berry vine stand (stickers!) to find this young boar lying on the ground. I poked him with the gun barrel and pronounced him dead. Then I crawled in after him.

I was using Magtech 240 gr JSP ammo. Maybe an XTP would have done a better stop. Maybe not. Bottom line is I shot too far back in the dark and with the pigs starting to run. It was a through-and-through, entering just behind the diaphragm, through the lungs, and out the ribs. I wish I could have gotten more, but they ran off too quick.

I'll see how he tastes one day this week. Maybe compare him to his brother if I can find time to sit out again. When archery season starts, it will be hard to get a bow shot as skittish as the deer are with these hogs around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vancelw on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: What happens when you shoot a B92 .44 Mag in the dark?

Post by Dave »

Good deal! Maybe if you stay on them they will go somewhere else.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Kill 'em all!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I solved the night-shooting problem with a Marlin .357 Mag, and a Rossi .45 Colt - get sights on yours like mine, and you'll be able to hit better...

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23531
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31062

I shot this 50-yard group at midnight . . . :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neat story! :D I never realized the magnitude of hogs and their destructive ways until I got on this board and started hearing from you boys down south. We don't have many here in Pa. I've never seen any.

I figure a good hog gun would be an M1-A or a good Colt AR with a c-mag.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm very thankful Washington State doesn't have any feral hogs, that I'm aware of. I can only imagine the destructive force they could have on crops, pastures and the like. We still have bears, cougars and now state confirmed wolves that I think would do a number on pigs. At least they'd help the fight if they ever made it here.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I was going to say you go blind for a bit. Man, I wanna do THAT! Good story.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote:Neat story! :D I never realized the magnitude of hogs and their destructive ways until I got on this board and started hearing from you boys down south. We don't have many here in Pa. I've never seen any.

I figure a good hog gun would be an M1-A or a good Colt AR with a c-mag.-----------Sixgun
I wish I was a better photographer. I don't think I can take a picture of my pasture/woods and have you see the amount of damage they do. They have rooted up everything.
We have had hogs around here for years, but I don't have any water or crops on my place, so they occasionally amble through but don't hang around. This year is different. The hog numbers have grown and we are in a severe drought, so I guess they are wandering farther in search of food and water. I bet they eat a lot of acorns that the deer usually eat. These things have been hitting my place every night this week. I know it's my fault for putting out the feeder. I have lived in this house for 16 years and have killed a whopping total of 2 deer on my property. I like to "hunt" a whole lot more than I like to shoot. Just enjoy watching them.
Those hogs had those deer as jumpy as I've ever seen.

I have better hog guns, but I wanted to use my B92 :D To simply exterminate them, I would use my M-4gery Rock River. Or my 870 with extended mag loaded with slugs or 00 buck. A great hog gun would be a pump centerfire rifle with a holographic sight.
I'll probably use my scoped .308 next time, since it seems they want to come in right at dark.
I doubt I'll ever put any sight more modern than a fiber optic front sight on any of my leverguns. The exception would be if I ever buy me a Marlin SBL Guide gun.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

way to go...
they are goooood eatn'
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

wolfdog wrote:Kill 'em all!

Working on it. . .

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=37716

. . . But doubtful. The one I got on this other thread appeared to me the matriarch of a rather large clan-and she wasn't that old. They multiply faster than distant relatives after you win the lottery.
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

THE INDIANA DNR NOW HAS A STATEMENT IN THE BROCHURE THAT WARNS PEOPLE IN STATE PARKS THAT THE PIGS MIGHT ATTACK EM , FINALLY!