Q. buy too many guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Q. buy too many guns?

Post by smokenrust »

Today I was talking to a sport shop licensed gun dealer and he said that if somebody buys to many guns over a certain period of time, that you will get a letter in the mail, a phone call or possibly a visit from the gov. big boys.
Is that true?... or is there a magic number in a certain time frame they get involved with you.
Anyone got any kind of information on how many guns a fellow can buy or was this just hear say.
He was talking like it already has happened to several individuals he knew of.
Courious to know if its true or not.
Thanks SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Q. buy to many guns?

Post by rjohns94 »

I"m guessing if that happened, I would have the letter and visit by now. :lol: Just don't see it happening.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cactus jack
Levergunner

Post by cactus jack »

Only in the 4 southern border states, if you buy more than 2 semi auto rifles over .22 cal. The ffl dealer has to report the sales to the A.T.F. So i just buy once a week. :mrgreen:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some of the members have FFL's of the active-dealer type, and may give more detailed/accurate information, but I think there is also a 'multiple-handgun' sales reporting requirement.

In addition, although the Alpha-Goons supposedly cannot just show up at a gun shop and start photocopying the 4473 forms, THEY SOMETIMES DO, just like they publicly admitted they were NOT destroying the 'background check' information as required by law, but rather were retaining it to create a permanent database of gun owners as prohibited by law.

Give an inch, they take a mile. One of many reasons that even seemingly-innocent 'gun registration' or 'background checks' should never have been instituted. The chances for abuse of the law and resultant serious danger to society far outweigh the harm ordinary criminals cause.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Re: Q. buy too many guns?

Post by Hobie »

The BATF has a requirement for reporting multiple sales of handguns and now of rifles over .22 cal in 4 states along the Mexican/USA border. As to getting a visit from the men in black, I imagine the type of gun matters as well. A guy who buys 2 .32 HR single-actions isn't a concern while the guy that buys 10 identical Glocks might be (in their minds). I do think it more than a bit ironic that they probably moved many more times the guns during their Fast and Furious project than had been done previously.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

SnR,

At one pawnshop, in my area (nearby Slidell, Louisiana), I was told that the ATF wants to be notified when a customer buy 5-plus handguns in a week's time. At one gunshop, in the same city, I was told that the local police wants a 4473 filled out when 2 handguns are purchased at the same time. This dealer was a little put out that someone just bought 2 handguns, and the second form was being filled out, while I was standing right there. I do not know if anyone has been visited by the ATF, or the Sheriff's Department, over any of this.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

So, if my buddy at his Gun Shop (can?)get me 3 of those kel-Tec Sub-2000's might get a visit?
Better get ready to get some cider/doughnuts and clean the place up some :lol:
Fine,let em come(I'll explain for 3 hours to them why we should have 2nd Amendment Rights) :wink:

Heck,I might even let em shoot some of my guns out back!
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

So you guys think if an individual were to buy say 20 or so lever guns and some bolts, pumps and auto's, (no hand guns) in a 6 month period, He or she would not get any kind of notices or visits from the g-men? Or is that one of those mystical unkowns.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

smokenrust wrote:So you guys think if an individual were to buy say 20 or so lever guns and some bolts, pumps and auto's, (no hand guns) in a 6 month period, He or she would not get any kind of notices or visits from the g-men? Or is that one of those mystical unkowns.

You probably have nothing to worry about at all

Conversely, i get Brady delayed for every handgun purchase i make or anything like an AR lower receiver (receiver only).
Long guns OTOH, are never a prob. I just purchased a semi-auto shotgun from Cabelas and the process took 10 minutes --- similar results with other long gun purchases.

Some wise old salt from my hometown gunshop asked about my military credentials and then informed me that was possibly an answer --- as it was his opinion after years of watching people buy guns that people with security clearances (or maybe used to have such things) -- got Brady delayed a lot more than commonplace

I buy enough guns now that i can notice a pattern too, --- and when handgun purchases are delayed 9 out of 10 times, but never for long guns ----- and the gunshop clerks are always puzzled ---- it tells me the guy at my hometown gunshop is onto something
It may not seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they do, but some sort of file shuffling definitely goes on behind the scenes --------

-------- As Hobie said, purchase 10 Glock 17's on the same day, or 10 AR-15 receivers and see what happens --- Maybe nothing, or maybe something - who knows
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hagler wrote:SnR,

At one pawnshop, in my area (nearby Slidell, Louisiana), I was told that the ATF wants to be notified when a customer buy 5-plus handguns in a week's time. At one gunshop, in the same city, I was told that the local police wants a 4473 filled out when 2 handguns are purchased at the same time. This dealer was a little put out that someone just bought 2 handguns, and the second form was being filled out, while I was standing right there. I do not know if anyone has been visited by the ATF, or the Sheriff's Department, over any of this.

Shawn
I need to point out that the 4473 is a federal form and that it has provision for listing multiple firearms. The Sheriff isn't the controlling agency for the form and the info would be thereon anyway. Multiple means more than 1 and that already has to be reported for handguns. The pawnshop guy is blowing smoke.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a friend who purchased 8 AR-15s at one time. He is the ultimate terr for Big Sis, a middle-aged, white, Christian, combat veteran. He wasn't delayed. He wasn't visited.

ON THE OTHER HAND, another white, male, Christian, combat vet who sold a couple of pair of ACUs to local "SWAT" team members was persecuted by the VA State Police. Why? Apparently because he pointed out the tactical errors they were making in their training to take down somebody such as himself and that was interpreted as him planning something even though he was responding to their questions. The lesson learned here is keep your trap shut.
Sincerely,

Hobie

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I can only HOPE that one day I will have the pleasure of buying so many guns someone starts getting worried. :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”