What's your .22LR trail gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

What's your .22LR trail gun?

Post by Triggernosis »

I've got my eye on several .22 handguns for woods & trail. What's your favorite?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What's your .22LR trail gun?

Post by rjohns94 »

If it is my only sidearm and its a 22, then its either a bearcat, single six or a smith double action. normally its a NAA in .22mag as a pocket gun, with a larger trail gun on my hip.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Have had a Single Six for about 35 years and have never had a reason to look elsewhere.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I don't carry a 22 when on the trail. I have two Ruger Single Sixes and a Bearcat, but their relegated to camp duty, plinking or carrying on the tractor.
Old Law Dawg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had my '59 vintage S&W Model 17 for over twenty years.

I'd headed off to a show with my Dad intent on buying a Ruger Single Six.
Couldn't find a used one and didn't have enough for a new one and was really dissapointed.
My Dad then pointed out the S&W lying on a table for $255. I got him down to $225 and headed out the door!

Was even happier when I got to shoot it! Love that revolver.
Still want that Single Six!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I've had a 30 year old like- new Single Six 4.75" for less than a year now (I'm a late SS/22 bloomer). It's a sweetheart.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Just curious, but what's the appeal of a Single Six in .22LR? They're heavy as heck, slow to load, and don't have adjustable sights. Just wondering.......
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Mine has adjustable sights. It's accurate, feels like my other Ruger SA's and is reliable - I know I've got 6 shots for sure.

I will also state however that I carry something centerfire .357Mag and up when "on the trail". My current fav is a Ruger flat top 44 special 4 3/4" barrel.

Of course, it all depends on where your "trail" is and what's on it... :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Right now mine is a S&W 617 but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a M63. This one is as accurate as all get out but it's also heavy.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I depends on what you mean concerning a trail gun, just protection get a 2" or less DA if you might put meat in the pot take a SS or bearcat. A bearcat thats been upgraded to 22 mag is the perfect packing pistol. danny
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

BigSky56 wrote:I depends on what you mean concerning a trail gun, just protection get a 2" or less DA if you might put meat in the pot take a SS or bearcat. A bearcat thats been upgraded to 22 mag is the perfect packing pistol. danny
I'm thinking of something to take a squirrel or rabbit with while toting my deer rifle, so I'd already have bad guys and other critters covered.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I lost a lot of high frequency hearing due to one session with .22 Mags from a Colt Peacemaker convertible back in the 70s. For that reason I will not carry one anywhere I might need to shoot without ear protection.
If I feel the need to carry something larger than a .22LR then it's a center fire.
And to be honest I always feel the need to carry something larger than a .22LR. My trail gun is either my OM BH .45 Colt or my Uberti Cattleman.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I carry the best trail gun 22LR ever made, a Model 34 S&W kit gun. :wink:

The do not come any better.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
revolvergeek
Levergunner

Post by revolvergeek »

I picked up a very clean 6" High Standard Sentinel last year with an old Ace trigger shoe on it and have packed it a bit around the woods since. It likes Remington Subsonics and makes for a fairly quiet combo. Not as much thump as I would like sometimes though, so I am starting to play around a little with some .32 Long / .32 Mag options. 8)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Depending on my mood....
S&W 686 357 mag 8 3/8" full lug barrel with 38s and 357s
or S&W 629 classic with 44sp/44mags in it...
and once in a while a S&W M22A 22LR
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Been toting my SS Bearcat here lately and I love the little pistol, but as I've said before there are lots o bears here and it feels pretty puny in the thick stuff. There was a guy who was pulled down from his tree stand and mauled while bowhunting very closeby, and a few other bear/people run ins. So, I'm pretty sure I will start packing the Flat Top 44 as it is now back from Harton. The Bearcat will probably stay in a pack for emergencies and be fired for fun. I've had a few single sixes and I have to say this Bearcat feels and packs so much nicer. It points naturally where the Single Six does not for me. So, it will be the go to 22 pistola, and if I am ever living in Arizona again it will probably be my primary sidearm again. Nothing else needed really and so much easier to carry.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mostly,

H&R 999.

Though I'm getting partial to,

But I need to have the barrel shortened to 4 5/8".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.22 carry = JFrame, 8 shot, 317 AirLite. Crappy DA pull, most excellent SA trigger. Not a long range thang, but pop cans beware at fifty feet. If I want something really useful, I'll do the Centennial .357 or the 1911.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I usually carry something bigger, most often my 3" SW60 full-lugged .357 with adjustable sights. When carrying a .22, it is usually my SW63 but sometimes my SW34.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jeepnik wrote:Mostly,

H&R 999.

H&R 999 also but for cans and paper(not the trails)where I live not enough gun by itself.
And if I am going shoot small game(its with a shotgun)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

madman4570 wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Mostly,

H&R 999.

H&R 999 also but for cans and paper(not the trails)where I live not enough gun by itself.
And if I am going shoot small game(its with a shotgun)
I mostly take the .22's out to the desert. Biggest thing out there, usually, is coyotes. They generally run off when they spot you. I use revolvers so I can keep the first chamber loaded with a shotshell. Though I have on several ocassions come across lion tracks, so more and more I'm going with a .45 colt Blackhawk. But the OP ask about .22's, so that's what I posted.

If I'm more concerned with two legged critters, which let's face it, are the biggest threat in most places, I like my S&W 1917. Though it has a 5" barrel, it just feels right.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Triggernosis wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:I depends on what you mean concerning a trail gun, just protection get a 2" or less DA if you might put meat in the pot take a SS or bearcat. A bearcat thats been upgraded to 22 mag is the perfect packing pistol. danny
I'm thinking of something to take a squirrel or rabbit with while toting my deer rifle, so I'd already have bad guys and other critters covered.
Oh, in that case, a bearcat would be purrrfect :lol:

Seriously, I have on of those too and they are very good little guns and even though small, fit your hand fine.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

My everything-rimfire handgun.

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Have an S&W model 17 6in that I carried for a long time but almost never by itself. Two legged critters were the main problem. Now I carry the Walther P-22 as the normal trail gun and something bigger, always. Accurate enough for almost anything and don't lose anymore of my hearing for random shots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I thought a stainless Bearcat would be just the ticket, but the one I owned shot several inches to the right at 50 ft! I'm now very happy with my Single Six. With the adjustable sights I don't have to worry about point of impact.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I usually carry a Ruger MkII Bull barrel. It's very accurate and the cordura holster is designed to carry two spare mags. Handy.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Like Lefty Dude...my M34 S&W 4" does it for me, when I do my part, although that is becoming more difficult with these 60 yr old eyes. It has put many squirrels and rabbits in the pot, and left a few feral cats, and a couple of overly aggressive dogs in the woods. I've carried it for over 35 yrs.
UNITE
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If I carry a rimfire, its in addition to the 44 or 45 and rifle when I'm in the mountains, and its just for grouse. I take the Smith K-22 in a shoulder rig, loaded with shorts or CB's. I don't take it often, the shoulder rig is uncomfortable, and I usually have a few small game loads for whatever rifle I carry.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Paladin wrote:Have an S&W model 17 6in that I carried for a long time but almost never by itself. Two legged critters were the main problem. Now I carry the Walther P-22 as the normal trail gun and something bigger, always. Accurate enough for almost anything and don't lose anymore of my hearing for random shots.

Nice! (both )

Count me among the teeming masses that uses a convertible Single six - mine is later production with adjustable sights -- although i've never adjusted them. If i ever use the 22 Mag cylinder i may have to -- it is unfired and untouched-- I'm a bit like Joe Miller in that, if i think i need something bigger than a .22LR, i grab a centerfire, usually a .357.

But back to Paladin's selection of the silenced Walther --- i have been tossing around the idea of either going with one of those or a ruger MK 3 silence conversion for a while --- just have not bothered to mess with the class 3 paperwork yet --- its hard for me to get past "instant gratification" and having to wait a couple or 3 months before i can enjoy my new toys sorta' lets the wind out of my sails
----- Doug
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

In a rimfire I like my 1959 S&W M18, 4 inch with Fuzzy Farrant grips:

Expecting two legged trouble or just need a camp gun, I like my M21-4 CCH 4 inch with Trausch grips
Will take better pics this weekend:

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

For those of you with S&W models 63 or 34, what holsters can you recommend?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

I never had much luck with rimfire revolvers, they either leaded badly, were inaccurate or both.
This one never leads, doesn't need adjustable sights and is highly accurate and reliable.
Mark II NRA/WBR commemorative. ($299 new a few years ago)
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have a Ruger single six, stainless 5.5"bbl with adjustable sight's. I've never fired the .22 mag cylinder. Wifey has a Ruger MK III (bull BBL or heavy BBL?) that is a pretty good shooter. I'm starting to like it more then my single six.
Karl
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

FF1063 wrote:I never had much luck with rimfire revolvers, they either leaded badly, were inaccurate or both.
That hasn't been my experience, I have a S&W K22, Colt Officers Model and a Ruger Single Six convertable, no excessive leading and all three are accurate, escpecially the K22.

You've made a good choice though with your MkII. I usually carry either a MkII bull or my old tapered barrel Standard.

They are all good.
brucear
Levergunner

Post by brucear »

Ruger Single Six in SS :D :D
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

I've shot more critters with this Single Six than any other.

Pack Rats, Grouse, and maybe even a few I ain't willing to admit too... It has always done the job. For some reason it's the gun I have when opportunity arises. Reliable as a sunrise. Accurate too. There have a been a few nights I was glad I had it in the tent with me. One of my longest owned and most used firearms.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

For those of you that carry Ruger MK's, what kind of setup do you use to carry them? As much as I like them, they look kinda unmanageable as a field gun.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Colt New Frontier .22 lr. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Triggernosis wrote:For those of you that carry Ruger MK's, what kind of setup do you use to carry them? As much as I like them, they look kinda unmanageable as a field gun.
I've carried this for years in an old holster from Hunter. When the eyes started going south, and I put the optics on it, I just took an Xacto knife and cut away part of the front of the holster.

I should probably take a picture of that old holster before it gives up the ghost for good.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

I use a basic Hunter snap on/off drop belt holster and an Uncle Mikes nylon vertical shoulder holster modified into a bandoleer style.
"unmanageable"? The Mark II 4-5/8" barrel balances like a dream shooting one handed. The only negative is that the safety is small, so it takes some getting used to. My Mark II is even reliable in Minnesota winters with proper cleaning, good ammo and light oil.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

FF1063 wrote: "unmanageable"? The Mark II 4-5/8" barrel balances like a dream shooting one handed.
By "unmanageable" I mean that the MK's aren't exactly "carry friendly" in my opinion as far as hanging inconspicuously on your hip while tooling about the woods like a J-frame revolver would.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Triggernosis wrote:For those of you that carry Ruger MK's, what kind of setup do you use to carry them? As much as I like them, they look kinda unmanageable as a field gun.
I have a cordura holster that has a velcro closure magazine pocket on the front that I keep two spare mags in. Has a belt loop on either side so that it can be worn right or left handed. Strap on top of holster can be switched to either side, thumb snap opening. Easy enough to carry.
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

this one....5 1/2 " Single Six that i gave the Bisley treatment to
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I've had a number of things that I thought would make good trail guns. Especially smallish autoloaders. Tried a Beretta 101 (longer barrelled version of a pocket auto with extended grips and adjustable sights), Beretta 21A, AMT .22 Backup, HK4 and other stuff of that ilk. They all left me disappointed due to either poor reliability, poor accuracy in general or poor practical accuracy in my hands under field conditions. I've got to admit that a Contender with the original-type spindly grip and octagon barrel in .22 wasn't bad, but too big; seemingly bulkier than any of the stuff below, relatively clumsy to deploy and having that whole single shot thing against it.

When I was younger and still living on the farm, I carried a Ruger Mk I target with the skinny 6 7/8" barrel a LOT. Put it on when I got dressed in the morning and it came off only to go someplace off the farm or when I got undressed at night. Used a Hunter brand holster of the same sort the other Ruger auto users have been describing. It was a good gun, but as twitchy as I am, a rest or braced position was necessary to get best results with that whippy tube. I moved to town and after letting that first Mk I go, eventually got nostalgic and bought its' twin. Somewhere in there I switched to an Uncle Mike's holster fitting longer .22 autoloaders. Recently fell into a fat-barrelled Mk II "Government Target Model" that shoots almost as well as a rifle and on occasions where carrying a .22 longarm is too much trouble but I seriously wish to pot small game or vermin that I encounter...
SANY0002.jpg
I've tried this Woodsman Match Target with 6" barrel. Despite the name, being more compact and lighter than the Ruger (and still shooting well in my hands), this one has been a bit of a disappointment off the range. The huge thumbrest on the left grip panel sticks out too much for decent holstered carry. Really need to find some flatter replacement grips. Something that looks better than those swirled plastic ones would be a plus. The little brown changepurse/tobacco pouch or whatever that's underneath in the pic holds a gratifyingly large number of .22 shells and is handy for refilling any of these, although I've got a dual mag pouch that works for either the Woodsman or Ruger, so I guess it's seen more use with the revolvers.

The 4 5/8" Single Six is nice, and just feels right keeping company with a lever or pump .22 rifle, but I agree with those that find it heavy/bulky for the results. Strangely, very nearly the identical gun except for a slightly longer barrel and being in .32 H&R mag is prized and takes the place of a .22 quite often for me.

The Bearcats are neat to pack along for any suicidal grouse or squirrel that parks itself almost within arm's length while deer hunting (the Super Colibri ammo works at that range and doesn't disturb the entire woods) or for just going out for a walk in the fields or woods. The blue one belongs to the Mrs. and that El Paso Saddlery holster is nice, but too bulky for such a small gun. Still, on rare occasions the pair's found their way out with me. I'm kinda embarassed to admit it, but I've often just dropped the stainless one into either the right front jeans pocket or zippered inside left breast pocket of the hunting coat. Should get my act together and take an hour to just fold/stitch a minimal pocket holster for it sometime.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
jb00_98
Levergunner

Post by jb00_98 »

I carry mine in a Hunter holster on a Chesty Puller rig from Simply Rugged (with a holster adapter). Stays out of the way on the 4-wheeler.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I honestly do not have a .22lr pistol. While I know others firmly beleive in a .22, I prefer the minimum of a .38 or .357 mag. If your refering to a carbine, I typically carry a .30-30, .44 mag, or a M44 Mosin Nagant. It all depends on weather conditions and a wild hair as to which one goes with me.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I use an old Rem. 121 .22LR rifle for my trail gun. If I need something bigger at the time, I would use it as a club until I pulled my knife for the close-in festivities. Works for me! :wink:

LB
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

My favorite is a 6 inch barreld 4/5 scaled Colt peacemaker. .22 long rifle or .22 magnum. Mostley use the long rifle cylinder.
Gracefully balanced & a joy to carry,and I just love the sound of those 4 clicks.........
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

For the longest time it was a Ruger MKII, but since I recently bought a farm and liked the idea of carrying different types of ammo in the same gun (sub-sonics, high velocity and super collibri's) I bought a Ruger Single 10. Brand new to the line it's a single 6 with 4 extra rounds. 4 1/4 inch barrel, fiber optic sights, as accurate as any gun I ever owned. Was a little disappointed with the machining marks/finish workmanship, but I polished a few things and shot it alot and now it's perfect!!!!! Carry it every day for at least 8 hours in a Hunter on a 2 inch belt. Don't even notice it, even though it's stainless steel and what some might call heavy......
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

Triggernosis wrote:
FF1063 wrote: "unmanageable"? The Mark II 4-5/8" barrel balances like a dream shooting one handed.
By "unmanageable" I mean that the MK's aren't exactly "carry friendly" in my opinion as far as hanging inconspicuously on your hip while tooling about the woods like a J-frame revolver would.
True enough, that's why the 4-5/8" model is the largest I would ever buy. It's also why I modified my shoulder holster into a simple bandoleer. It hangs loosely across the chest and stays out of the way.

Saw the new Ruger SP-101 8 shot .22 today. Looks 'just right' for a trail gun. Tempting enough to get a died in the wool auto guy to start scheming on how to afford one. I hope that passes, 'cause I have a crush on that little Beretta Cheetah too.