Winchester Model 1895 Take Down Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester Model 1895 Take Down Rifle

Post by okdee »

I recently came into one. Born in 1924, according to the records, 30-06 caliber. Looks to be a good shooting rifle.

There does not seem to be much about the quality of the takedown model, that I have discovered.

Is anyone willing to impart some wisdom in my directon, about the takedown model?

I appreciate any thoughts.

OKD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Winchester Model 1895 Take Down Rifle

Post by Mike D. »

I don't own a TD '95 but do own several of the 1886s with that feature. They breakdown as expected and reassemble as easily. None have any accuracy issues due to the take down capability and shoot as well as the solid frame guns of the same model.

One consideration with the 1895 in .30 Gov't '06 is to shorten the neck by .003" to 2.45" This will accommodate the short chambers that the '95 is prone to have. I have been practicing this for my 1924 1895 '06 for some years and it works very well. Also, do not fire modern heavily loaded cartridges in these older rifles. Not only are the necks a bit long, but the pressure can cause bolt peening and headspace issues.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike D. wrote:I don't own a TD '95 but do own several of the 1886s with that feature. They breakdown as expected and reassemble as easily. None have any accuracy issues due to the take down capability and shoot as well as the solid frame guns of the same model.

One consideration with the 1895 in .30 Gov't '06 is to shorten the neck by .003" to 2.45" This will accommodate the short chambers that the '95 is prone to have. I have been practicing this for my 1924 1895 '06 for some years and it works very well. Also, do not fire modern heavily loaded cartridges in these older rifles. Not only are the necks a bit long, but the pressure can cause bolt peening and headspace issues.

Yep, Mike has it right---I too, like to keep the pressures down a bit. In fact, I usually only shoot cast at 1800-2000---only because its cheap and I can shoot 200 rounds at a time and don't have to think about the expenditures. :wink: Old guns have varying tolerences and you have to check things out. Back in those days, lawyers were not as important...or ...influential. I wish it was the former. :D

As for the takedown feature-----its somewhat scarce and like all takedown Winchesters, accuracy is a hit or miss---especially as the velocity rises. Mine are fine as I guess I lucked out but I've seen worse, especially with Savage 1899's in 22 H.P.-------------heres a few of mine from a pic about 5 years ago------Sixgun

An 06 and a 35
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Gotta love the .35 W.C.F. I have been searching for a decent example with shotgun butt for a couple of years. Most of the .35s I have examined had "issues" and were not acceptable. Excellent bore and correct headspace are paramount.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My 1895 .405 TD is plenty accurate with factory Hornady 300 grain ammo at 2250 fps. My 300 grain reloads are too. My 400 grain reloads at 2050 seem OK at close range, but I have yet to shoot for accuracy at 50 yards or more.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Thank you MikeD and Sixgun, for the thoughts!

Interesting to note, I had a good gunsmith work on the bolt face, as it was preened out pretty badly. Probably due to someone using high velocity ammo. He also suggested keeping the velocity down around 2500 fps and lower. I had the thought to do a bit of hunting with it, but with drought down here in Texas, I may have to wait a couple of years for the rebound of deer population. Several outfitters are loosing high numbers of deer, trees and ponds are drying up.

The fires and drought have really wreaked havoc down here. My wife and I are going shopping tomorrow morning to purchase hay and feed for some horses that were lost and wandering in the burned lands north and west of Houston. There are a number of small landowners that are keeping the horses and kinda struggling due to cost of feeding the horses. No grass - little hay makes for a rough tuff time, on the horses and even on the deer, heck for that matter all of God's critters are strugglin.

Too much water in some parts of the country, not enough in others. You would think, we could rig a big ole pipe and point some that excess water somewhere else! :wink: Where is the good ole USA ingenuity?!

OKD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Okdee,
I really feel for our 4 footed friends. To me, they are more deserving than our 2 footed parasites. I wish the best for you boys down in Texas as its news coverage up here, with the fires and all. Like you said, we have more water than you can shake a stick at. :( ----------------Sixgun

Mike, my 35 has a shotgun butt of the rubber variety---very scarce---nice bore too :D It loves the original Lyman 250 gr. gas check. I took it out to Colorado a few years ago for elk (but with 250 gr. Hornadys) but never did see anything to shoot. Here's a pic from the day my son caught me sleeping-----Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Okdee, my favorite load for the 1895 .30-06 is 47 grains IMR 4895 and 150 grain Barnes Tipped TSX. MV averaged 2670 through my carbine's 20 bbl and the load is very easy on the gun. If the bolt face is excessively peened you can always replace it with another. :)