Fair representation Question-What do you think?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Fair representation Question-What do you think?

Post by vancelw »

I recently purchased a Ruger Redhawk from a seller on GunBroker.com.
He listed the gun as "Factory New."
Upon arrival, the gun is in great shape, but not factory new, nor would I call is "As New".
I would not have given as much for the gun if it had been described accurately. I have a pretty good idea what i would have given.

What I was wondering....has anyone had a similar experience and if you did, how did you resolve it? What percentage difference in price do you think is fair - a "Factory New" gun versus a "Very Nice" gun. 10%, 25%, more, less????

I would like to know if my thoughts are way off before I start making requests/demands. I've never had anyone misrepresent a gun to me before. This is the closest I've come to being burnt, but it's just a singe. Still stinks, though. :roll:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fair representation Question-What do you think?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hard to say, but when you figure out what the diff is, call or email the seller and tell them that you'll take the difference or they can take a negative rating. It's all you really have to bargain with.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If I had to throw a number at it just for being 'used', no matter what condition it's in, I'd start at 10% and then raise that percentage dependent on just how 'used' I felt it was.

But that's just throwing a number at it.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Factory new would imply just that. Was it described as used anywhere?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Marlin32 wrote:Factory new would imply just that. Was it described as used anywhere?
Nope.
On "Item Condition" he had selected "Factory New"

In the description he said, "Brand New in the Box."

So, it was no accident. It was deliberate deception. I've sent him an email. We shall see if he replies. . .

I'm betting I will have to rattle his cage to get recompense. Luckily, the venue will be a 10 minute drive for me.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I would look at any guns that sold on GB or also check GunsAmerica same described condition(great shape,but used)tabulate the average of all sold guns of that condition/type and then contact seller and go from there.
If he says(tough,that's the way it is,give him a negative rating with comments)
So far I have been lucky on those type gun sites.(everything has been as good or better than listed)
As New is not used. (if it said gun used but looks/functions like almost new) then thats a different deal.
I am thinking off top of my head about 20% off the price you paid.But see if that is inline with ones you tabulate.?
Hope you make out.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Never mind, guys. I'm through considering anything but a full reversal of the transaction. He responded with the typical set of excuses and wondering about how I was able to try and call him (he wouldn't answer) on both of his phones. I explained that his agreement with GunBroker when he listed the gun for sale gave the buyer access to those numbers.

I can't complain too much as it's the first time in many transactions that I've been burned a bit. I'm just out a bit of a premium that I paid expecting to get a NEW gun. The biggest problem is that I have a gun I can't shoot now. Can't stand punks :twisted:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

vancelw wrote:Never mind, guys. I'm through considering anything but a full reversal of the transaction. He responded with the typical set of excuses and wondering about how I was able to try and call him (he wouldn't answer) on both of his phones. I explained that his agreement with GunBroker when he listed the gun for sale gave the buyer access to those numbers.

I can't complain too much as it's the first time in many transactions that I've been burned a bit. I'm just out a bit of a premium that I paid expecting to get a NEW gun. The biggest problem is that I have a gun I can't shoot now. Can't stand punks :twisted:
You did the right thing. He misrepresented the item - deliberately. :x
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I filed a complaint with GB when I had an issue with a transaction and they were helpful. Between that and bad feedback I did end up getting a full refund.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jjames wrote:I filed a complaint with GB when I had an issue with a transaction and they were helpful. Between that and bad feedback I did end up getting a full refund.
I looked and the page I found on GB said they could not help. I'll keep looking.
If I don't get to return the gun for a full refund, I will file mail fraud and deceptive business practice charges. I may not get my money that way, but he'll learn not to do it to someone else.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sounds like the actual money is not the issue for you as much as the misrepresentation and spending the money for something you did not want and the fact is this person took advantage of the system and you here. Full refund is the resolution and bring the heat until he sees that this is the way he must go. Then no one is out anything but time and aggravation which are largely the price you have paid so far. Be dogged about this. You are doing everyone else a favor by making the system work the way it should. Not everything is going to work right the first time but it can almost always be corrected.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...