Ruger LC9

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger LC9

Post by FWiedner »

About a month ago I purchased one of Ruger's LC9 carry pistols.

9mm, DAO, semi-auto, 7+1, single-stack, blah, blah, blah...

Prior to this I have been switching around between a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Ruger LCP, depending on clothing, activity, etc.

My carry technique, i.e. holster, varies depending on the above clothing, activity, etc. from a Smart Carry pouch, to an IWB leather 'paddle', to a elastic "Belly Band." It's not heavy, has no painful sharp edges, it's not bulky and doesn't catch clothing to cause odd printing, and it's very slim. I'm not a big guy, and it seems to fit my body well.

It's got a long trigger pull, but if you can get over the fact that it's not a target pistol, it's a very easy shooter, and so far has been able to digest everything I've fed it without a hiccup.

I've got to say that I'm really enjoying carrying this little 9mm around. It's a gem.

Anybody else checked one of these out?

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Ruger LC9

Post by trooper joe »

I bought one just to try it out after I got throughly disgusted with the Kimber Solo and even the Sig 290.

The LC9 is perfect. Once you get used to the trigger pull it really seems like an old double action revolver.

Mine has never malfunctioned, and shoots anything (even the non-recommended +P).

I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo in it and it loves it.

Great gun, half the price of the thing Solo, and actually works.
Trooper Joe
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm a big Ruger fan, but I couldn't get my mind past the loaded chamber flag, the magazine disconnect safety, and the superfluous manual safety.

I already had a Glock 26, which is almost perfect, but it's a little thick.

So I bought a Kahr CM9 for $399. Trigger pull is a little long and magazine is somewhat sticky (I'll see if I can fix that) but it is very thin and concealable. Recoil not as bad as I thought either.

I was very tempted on the LC9 but talked myself out of it. Would love to have an LCP in .22 LR!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

FW: I've handled the LC9s often and hope to have one before long. I think it's a very nice design myself, and about perfect for concealed carry, especially in one of those 5.11 underarmor T-shirt holster thingies.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Bill in Oregon wrote:FW: I've handled the LC9s often and hope to have one before long. I think it's a very nice design myself, and about perfect for concealed carry, especially in one of those 5.11 underarmor T-shirt holster thingies.
I tried one of those 5.11 T-shirt holsters.

They are well made, but I couldn't/wouldn't wear one on a hot day.

They're all synthetic material or nearly all synthetic and the material doesn't breathe.

I wore mine like *once* and now it resides in a drawer.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

We see a lot of them here in the range. They seem okay, just too many doodads on them for my taste. Not a bad gun, just nothing spectacular to me.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have handled the LC9 and it feels good. Haven't had a chance to shoot one yet. Hopefully it won't be long before I run into someone at the range with one who will let me try it out. The gun makes a lot of sense.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:"...I think it's a very nice design myself, and about perfect for concealed carry..."
My twin brother south of me got one for that purpose, as it was out-of-the box "Mass compliant" and ~1/2 the cost of a Kahr PM9 that's made for that state. He really likes my (non-Mass) PM9, but couldn't justify the extra $$$ for something that will be carried a lot but shot a little.

So far, he's really happy with it -- it's very accurate too -- and it's been 100% reliable for him.

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I was thinking about an LC9.

Didn't much care for the manual safety, but i understand why they stuck it on there.

Feels good in the hand.

Then a friend had to leave the state and I picked up a barely-shot (200 rounds, basically, the break-in period) Kahr CW9 off him for less than a LC9 was new.

If the underarmor shirt holsters don't work for you, check out the Kangaroo holster.

Works the same but over any standard t-shirt.

I've worked with guys using them for deep concealment, even under a tucked in polo shirt you can't see something LC9/Kahr sized without frisking them (and we were looking hard).

Worn with the holster over a t-shirt but under a button-down, a Kangaroo will hide a J-frame or small auto (up to Glock 26 size) effectively in nearly any enviroment unless someone sticks their hand in your armpit.

I've been waiting on picking one up due to monetary issues (they're around $20-25) and because i already have several carry guns and holsters so not a rush but they do work well.

http://www.kangaroocarry.com/

Guy i know who wears one every day says to handwash it, starch lightly and iron it once, that'll help it retain it's shape the best as it's all-fabric.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ruger did with this model what they did with their .380 model - they copied Kel-Tec.

I have the Kel-tec PF9 which is what the Ruger LCP 9mm is based on. It's a great carry piece. I use a Crossbreed holster mostly. Placed in a holster sleeve, it actually fits fine in my boot top for deep concealment.

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Kel-tec PF-9, in my back pocket 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Holy Cats, er Kangaroos! I like the ... um ... Air Marshall II ...

:oops:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Holy Cats, er Kangaroos! I like the ... um ... Air Marshall II ...

:oops:
:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at