Stopped by the local gun shop yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bunyan

Stopped by the local gun shop yesterday

Post by bunyan »

Along with a couple model 94s and 336s in .30-30, there was a 94 in .32WS, two savage 99s in .300 savage, and most interesting was an old marlin in .33WCF. I'm not a marlin guy and can't recall if it was a 1894 or 1895, but it had a half magazine, and looked to be in quite decent condition. What impresses me the most was how light that rifle was and how easily it pointed. The brass front sight (no scope!) really showed up when I lined up the sights. I have no idea what the bore condition was like, but I sure can understand why some of you fellas like your marlins! Stopped by another gunshop on the way home and they had a 1886 manufacture (according to the tag) winchester model 1873 in .44-40 in one of their display cases. It looked nice, but I didn't handle that one!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Stopped by the local gun shop yesterday

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like you had fun 'window shopping'... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I Love Shopping , but it never stops there. Seems like there is coming to be more used Guns on the shelves. Is this trend everywhere ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bunyan wrote:...and most interesting was an old marlin in .33WCF. I'm not a marlin guy and can't recall if it was a 1894 or 1895, but it had a half magazine, and looked to be in quite decent condition. What impresses me the most was how light that rifle was and how easily it pointed.
Ya sure? It'd have to be a 1895, but I can't imagine Marlin marking a barrel with anythingWCF! And maybe I'll learn something, was it called something else? I've never heard of another name for the 33WCF.

Well, ok the .33 Winchester is one, but anything else?

If it was a Marlin lever, it was most likely the 1894 in .32-20; aka the 32WCF.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

pwl44m wrote:I Love Shopping , but it never stops there. Seems like there is coming to be more used Guns on the shelves. Is this trend everywhere ?
I think you'll see more and more as the economy gets worse. It can be a gold mine if you have the money and see what you want, but it's sad to see sometimes. I've seen more guns in the pawn shops around here than I ever have. Even here in Bass Pro there are more people bringing in guns to sell.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

What is really sad is so many have people have lost there jobs and their insurance and all you need is one major illness and you are screwed....so many guys have had to sell there guns to pay the med bills.......its just not right.....k
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

i dont get in many gun shops, every thing is 70 + miles away
but got in one today couldnt make a deal on a used judge i thought i needed, picked up 2 boxes of speer 170gr. 32 spl. for 18.00 a box,pretty happy bout that, not alot of used guns,
in these pawn shops across the USA that have alot of hardship guns can you deal with them? or are they book priced & sticking to it ?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Bunyan, could U see a price tag on the 73 ?
BTW, sorry for leading Your thread astray.
bunyan

Post by bunyan »

Griff, I'm positive it said .33wcf. That's part of what jumped out at me and I thought the same thing you did about it being odd for marlin to have a winchester caliber like that. If it was .32wcf I'd be quite interested in that rifle. Maybe I'll have to go back just to be sure!

pwl, I could see the pricetag. I don't recall the exact price, so don't quote me, but it was somewhere between 1200 and 1500 dollars, and probably closer to 1400 and change. I'm no expert on conditions of rifles like these, so I can't say much more about it than that!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx, My quest lives,like to know what offerings there are.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

I was wondering today if it was just me thinking gun prices have been going up in the last couple months or are they really going up. Last spring I could have bought several 94's and and marlins from 180-210 dollars range, now everything seems to be 280-300 and up.
Are prices really rising? What are your observations.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have seen .33 W Marlins, but would very much like to find one in the very rare .40-70. I passed on a .45-90 SRC at Reno last winter. It was very reasonable at $6500, in excellent condition, but my eyes were tainted by another 1886. The one positive about the ORIGINAL, and I might add ONLY, true 1895 Marlin is that they all wear their version of nickel steel barrels, marked "Special Smokeless Steel" :) |
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln