158 gr .357 loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

158 gr .357 loads

Post by kmittleman »

Hey Guys,

I'm loading some Hornady 158 gr XTP's for my Handi Rifle. How fast would you load them for deer? Currently, I'm playing with 2400 which should give me around 1700 fps.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 158 gr .357 loads

Post by AJMD429 »

It really depends on the recommended velocities for that particular bullet, which I don't know (...but I'll bet the manufacturer does... :wink: ).

With hard-cast lead or 'ordinary' JSP bullets, I don't think anything slower than 1,000 fps would be all that great, nor anything over 1,800, other than if you really needed a 'flat' trajectory.

I think some folks here have extensive hunting (real-world) experience with .357 from a carbine/rifle, and will no doubt chime in.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

1700 fps is just about the speed my .357 158`s run and that is a fine accurate load. I use 2400 also. :wink:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've settled on a load that runs my 158grn Zero Jackets Soft Point bullets out of my 24" Rossi levergun at near 2,000fps. I like the trajectory that velocity produces, the still mild recoil, and the muzzle energy produced. My single wet phone book test demonstrated that the bullet stayed together quite well.

Further, a phone call to Zero's tech dept with an explanation of my velocities and my intentions yielded a positive response and a further comment that Buffalo Bore's 158grn, 2,153fps Jacketed Hollow Point load would also be tolerated by Zero's JSP or JHP bullet.

2400 or H110 (which I prefer) are both good choices for full bore heavier weight 357mag loads.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

How big are your deer and how far are you willing to shoot? I've got strong opinions about the 357 Mag on deer so I will defer to the folks that have actually shot several deer with 158grs for opinions. Good Luck and Safe Hunting!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

86er wrote:How big are your deer and how far are you willing to shoot? I've got strong opinions about the 357 Mag on deer so I will defer to the folks that have actually shot several deer with 158grs for opinions. Good Luck and Safe Hunting!

Well, I'm thinking smaller deer (100lbs approx.) out to about 75 yds. I usually go for broadside shots all well.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't use XTPs, but I load 158gr JSP to 1700fps using 2400 for use from my carbine.

They seem to kill these lil' TX deer just fine inside 100yds.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

12.5 gr 4227 has been the most accurate for me with any 158 gr bullet.

The Barnes 140 grainers are exceptionally accurate. The length is the same as a 180 grain lead bullet but the speed is a little more than a 158. They out-penetrate everything else and have the "easy open" tip. Great bullet.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."