OT - Loading 45-70 and Lee Factory Crimp Die

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

OT - Loading 45-70 and Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by jfg_4 »

Howdy all,

I am a newb to reloading. I bought a Lee progressive press from a buddy that was setup for .45ACP and loaded up 100rnds with out many issues.

Now I am moving on to 45-70. The progressive press is cool - but I picked up a single stage press to hopefully learn more of the basics. I picked up the 45-70 dies and based on info here I got the factory crimp die as well.

Got the press set to load the rounds and got the bullets seated nicely. Went to go back and use the FCD and the colete is barely touching the bullet. I double checked the setup based on the instructions and get the same thing.

I took the die out and sure enough - I can insert a cartridge all the way in to no effect. It will go all the way to the rim. Did I get a bum or a I not using it properly?

Thanks all!
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - Loading 45-70 and Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by jfg_4 »

BTW - this was using new brass (Winchester or it might be Remington) and Hunters Supply 405gr FP bullets (.459)
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hi:

I use those dies in all of my rifle calibers and I think they're a great die.

First off, I'd suggest you take the die apart and clean it well, as maybe there's a piece of dirt or a burr or something preventing the fingers of collet from closing correctly. Check the interior of the die too.

You might also want to check the length of your brass, as if it's shorter than the standard specs, that could be why the die isn't working when setup per the instructions.

If those ideas don't work, then you could also try turning in (more than the instructions say) by 1/3 or 1/2 turns until you get just the amount of crimp you want. I have mine setup with permanent-marker "witness marks", so I can get a light, medium or heavy crimp based on the load I'm using and what works best. You can visually "see" the difference of the 3 settings too, if you look closely and compare "how close" the collet closes.

When storing those dies, I always back it off to 1/2 turn less than my "lightest" setting, so the collet doesn't take a permanent set. (Not sure if it would, but I figure it can't hurt...)

Hope this is helpful for you. :wink:

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jfg_4,

I adjust the Lee FCD collett fingers by looking down on the top of the die. With the ram all the way up I set the fingers so they just close. That is what I remember the instructions saying.
Ram all the way up, collett fingers closed. No more.
Once removed from the press there is no pressure on the collett at all. No need to touch the lock ring.

I have had some bullets with crimp groves so deep that the FCD cannot completely crimp the case.
And of course if your cases are too short you'll have the same problem.

Oh one other thing. I've found it's best to use the same brand of shell holder as the dies. They seam to adjust up better for me that way.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Regarding case length - as far as I know, all the "Hornady LeveRevolution" ammo has shorter-than-standard cases to allow for the longer ogive of their bullets. Those cases ARE reusable but need separate treatment, and probably wouldn't be useable in the ordinary FCD die.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jfg_4 »

Thanks everybody - problem solved.

The die had some debris in there causing it to not function properly. I really had to hammer to get the thing apart.

Cleaned it up real well and put her back together. Woohoo - just finished loading 100rnds.

J