Reloading for Handguns / Load Increments

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading for Handguns / Load Increments

Post by kmittleman »

Hey Guys,

I've been loading for my new Ruger Bisley Hunter and was wondering how others here work up their loads. I notice in the reloading manual that for handgun rounds, the spread from starting to max load is only about 1.5 grains often times. Do you start at say, 9 gr then go to 9.1, then 9.2, then 9.3 etc? BTW, I'm trying to perfect a 250 gr WFNGC from Beartooth bullets and am using Unique. So far, the load they suggested was 11.5 gr but accuracy has been bad. So, I figure I'll start from 9 gr and work my way up. Any suggestions?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading for Handguns / Load Increments

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yes - as a general rule, I decrease the increments comensurate with the size of the case - a 45 Colt can stand a two or even three tenth increment but a 9x19 is definately a one tenth increment. Larger rifle cartridges often get 1 or .5 grain incrments for the initial testing.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Reloading for Handguns / Load Increments

Post by AJMD429 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Yes - as a general rule, I decrease the increments comensurate with the size of the case...
Same holds true with seating depth and overall-length - be especially careful when you're dealing with small cases like the 9mm's.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "