My reloading/work bench

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

My reloading/work bench

Post by getitdone1 »

Here's my reloading/work bench. At time of picture I was working on model 64 Winchester. Buttstock in vice with jaws padded with plywood with thick leather glued to it. Red boxes of reloading dies. Reloading press goes to left of vice, attached with C-clamps and powder measure is held in vice. With goodies inside bench is very heavy and steady. Holding gun via buttstock in vice, using these pads, makes for handy, steady cleaning of gun bores. Although bench is level, used piece of carpet to better control gun parts and to protect gun. Added plywood back. Drawers are nice. I've had small all steel reloading benches and first one was made of 2" white oak, but this one's best. The C-clamps make the bench more versatile and yet provide sufficient strength. In the basement.

Using Lee press and dies. My first reloading press was a Herter's. Remember them? Then had Lyman, RCBS and Pacific. Do fine with the light Lee press and dies.

Don
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My reloading/work bench

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice!! We outgrow them sooo fast. I ended up with a shop larger than my house and it is crowded. :wink:
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

There must be a version of Parkinson's Law that says "Reloading equipment expands to exceed the space available for it".
Here's my half of our double garage at present
I friend gave me all this stuff so I feel obliged to fit it in somewhere
Going to have to figure out how to tell the wife that her car is going to have to live outside in future.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The cool thing is that with all the different equipment manufacturers each having their own 'color', the more stuff you get, the prettier it gets... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Don, that bench looks somewhat familiar :lol: - I am a small timer compared to a lot of you guys -- this setup , when i can keep it clean - serves my purposes for reloading hunting ammunition. The rest of the tools , accessories and other things are kept in the blue roll-away next to the little bench
Naturally, i am hoping to upgrade soon --- i mentioned the rockchucker set up was all i needed for hunting ammo or testing loads for things, as i don't shoot bucketfulls of things like 30-30, .32spl, .300 mag, 45-70

OTOH, the pistol caliber carbines, AR-15's and 1911's are so hungry, i need (well- want) to upgrade to a Dillon 650 so i can stay on top of the demand for those things- then my bench will get crowded :o :lol:

----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You guys are so darn neat.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:You guys are so darn neat.
+ to that!!! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Griff wrote:
True, you see the wife said before I set it up in our finished basement, "It stays clean or it's gone." Knowing how to keep the peace (we've been married 38yrs) I answered, "Yes dear." and moved out smartly.
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

COSteve wrote:
Griff wrote:
True, you see the wife said before I set it up in our finished basement, "It stays clean or it's gone." Knowing how to keep the peace (we've been married 38yrs) I answered, "Yes dear." and moved out smartly.
The wife keeps everyplace else neat and clean. EXCEPT my shop! If she thinks something is in there, she asks for it. She's a great helper, or just company when I'm working on something... but like her sewing room... not my domain... I ask permisson.

Working on our 41st year... 3 months and then it's onto the next one. Work in progress. I'm almost domesticated. :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pistol Mike
Levergunner

Post by Pistol Mike »

perry owens wrote: I friend gave me all this stuff so I feel obliged to fit it in somewhere
Going to have to figure out how to tell the wife that her car is going to have to live outside in future.
Don't bother making room for all that stuff! Just send it to me, so that your wife still can have her car inside! :wink: :)

Regards Mike
Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreamin'.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks, I'm proud of it... 8) :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I love bragging about my reloading room............

Lots more ideas here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/gun ... reloading/
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WOW !! that is a loading room for sure!! :shock:
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

rbertalotto, I see lots of bare spots, means lots of room for improvement,lol.

Nicely done!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A couple pics of part of my manufacturing area !

My so called "loading bench" started life as a oak conference table back in the 60's .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Yup! I just added another Lee 1000 in 45LC. Need to make a bigger rack to hold them all.

Those pictures show the gun powder in the room. It has now been moved out of there into its own powder locker. Left lots more room for more stuff!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

rbertalotto, that is a reloading room and a half! I might call it a reloading laboratory, it looks so well organized and neat. A pleasure to behold.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Outstanding reloading tools and rooms! Looks like I hit on a good subject.

Don
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

COSteve wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:The cool thing is that with all the different equipment manufacturers each having their own 'color', the more stuff you get, the prettier it gets... :lol:
I'm more of a monochromatic person. Blue suits me just fine.

COSteve,

NEAT, NEAT, NEAT ! "A place for everything and everything in it's place." Bet you've heard that before. If you didn't, you didn't need to.

Is that a cartridge collection I see lined-up there? Mine's in a large coffee can.

Don
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Griff wrote:
COSteve wrote:
Griff wrote:
The wife keeps everyplace else neat and clean. EXCEPT my shop! If she thinks something is in there, she asks for it. She's a great helper, or just company when I'm working on something... but like her sewing room... not my domain... I ask permisson.

Working on our 41st year... 3 months and then it's onto the next one. Work in progress. I'm almost domesticated. :lol: :lol:
My wife would be the first to admit that actually domesticating me is .......... well, let's just call it a lost cause and be done with it. :mrgreen:
Steve
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mine fits in two boxes. :shock: I'm a bit ashamed :oops: I have a tumbler for brass cleaning. A measuring scale, A lead melting pot for casting bullets and round balls. I have a hand loader with dies for 45-70, 45acp, 44mag. I have ammo cans for all the ammo for each of the calibers I have. A drop tube for my BP loading. I have taken my collection to bare essentials and very few calibers. I enjoy seeing your setups. very impressive.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like a neat work bench too. It just doesn't stay that way very long!

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

rbertalotto wrote:I love bragging about my reloading room............

Lots more ideas here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/gun ... reloading/
Holy C...........Now that is a reloading room......fantastic
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mine has not changed much over the last "close to 40 years". I just took some fresh pics and they look like the ones I took 10 years ago.

I like the "Pre-War look". My room is not as bright as some of your reloading rooms but I have the light where its needed. Too much light eats at the colors of some of my old stuff.

If I'm not at work or doing yard/Jeep/home/barn/animal/garage work, its where I'm at.---(don't leave me a lot of time to play-does it?---gotta keep working--lots of illegal mexicans/others are depending on my hard earned income.-------------Sixgun

rbertalotto--Yours looks more like a retail store!--You 'da man!
Doc, like most doctors, you are most organized!---You still "da man" in my book
Perry, Is the light in your room natural or well, regular lights? Its looks so nice and bright.

And Griff---where's yours?????

We all have different needs for our gunrooms. Its like anything else. While some of you have perfect garages, mine is in shambles. My blood pressure drops dramatically when I enter my gunroom.

Miss Skittles--If she sees another dog get in her little doggie comforter, she eats 'em up--nasty little bugger.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD