Rabbit Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Rabbit Hunting

Post by bsaride »

Went out to hunt rabbits this morning, met up with a fellow ham radio operator and checked out some areas near his home
off Ortega Highway. Needless to say, one rabbit spotted next to housing, one snake, not stepped on, saw some quail, helped
him find an ellusive geocache. Took along the Marlin M39A of 19 and 78 I bought from Mic and my Super Sealed Eight Iver
Johnson revolver (in the holster I made some time back). Since the rifle had sling swivels, I put a simple 1" nylon sling on it
in case I wanted a hasty sling for stand-up shooting. Carried the revolver crossdraw on a cartridge belt with old Buck knife
and the rifle was carried in my hand (balance was good on the forestock). I will head out to another area tomorrow afternoon
(after seeing what I need to fix at daughters house) and back out to the other end of my friends area monday.

M39A:

SS8 IJ:

Geocache:

Snake:
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rabbit Hunting

Post by Nath »

Cool.

Got 64 rabbits last night and took them the game dealer this mornin'.

Wish I could carry a little revolver like that :(

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

What was in the bucket? I guess geocaching is some kind of GPS game? Looked it up. Sounds kind of like orienteering which we did in scouts - with compasses and maps. But we did that in a large group - timed for competition. My boys always did really well with that - finishing first and second most of the time - out a large number (150ish) of competitor groups.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Spotted darned few jackrabbits this morning. Also saw just one cotton tail. But, I wasn't hunting. Just went out with one of my boys to test drive my newest acquisition; A Winchester 1300 pump. :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What's a geocache?

Like the Marlin, love that old IJ Super Shot Sealed 8. My grandmom had one just like that but with a shorter barrel. Was supposed to be mine when she kicked the bucket. But she changed her mind and gave it to my idiot cousin instead. Been looking for one ever since.

So your trip looked like fun. Wish I could be there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Eeee gads... "Ortega Hwy". Brings back thousands of memories! Skateboarded down from the top once on a dare. Yes, westbound (or south if you prefer)... they haven't printed enough money yet for me to go off the Elsinore side! :twisted: :P :P :P :lol:

And yep, you're far more likely find snakes than rabbits. :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

In the bucket were a bunch of old moldy paperback books, this cache is called "The Library"

Geocaching is like orienteering without knowing how to use a map and compass.
With the old 7.5 minute maps I could place my possition just as accurately as the early gps.

A trinket and log or just a log is hidden in any container from the size of a stubby pencil on up.
Clues, description and latitude, longitude are given on the website and most smart phones can
load an app that will take you within feet of the item and you have to look for the container
that is usually hidden or camoflaged.

Went out two years ago with my neice to rabbit hunt and all my old spots were housing tracts.
This is the first trip this year to find a good rabbit spot or two.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Griff,

Had fun driving home that way today, reminded me of when i used to avg 80mph at two am in my old truck and had a corvett
trying to keep up with me way back when.
KI6WZU
NRA member

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Sealed Eight just like that. Was My Grandfather's. Found it when my Mom and I were going through his things along with a Colt Official Police .38spl. He had given me his rifles a few years earlier but he held on to the short guns a while longer.
Sure do miss that old guy!

I know what you mean about the changes in good hunting spots. All the farms I used to hunt on around here have either been
turned into vinyl villiages or the new owners ar so paranoid about getting sued they don't want anyone on their property.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

64 Rabbits??? :shock: well done!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

After church and going by my daughters place I headed off to another place I was told about.

Only had a couple hours and ended up driving past the location and doing a 30 mile loop.
Stopped a couple places of interest but saw nothing, not even rabbit sign.

I will keep at it but tomorrow will focus on finishing a ham radio project and don't want
to face the evening traffic here in SoCal. Next weekend I will get out one day and the
other will be spent at a ham convention.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hope you have a big freezer! That's a lot of hassenfefer. :P
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!