Deer jerky

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Deer jerky

Post by Old Savage »

Tried some turning some of the fall buck into jerky. Think I underestimated the role of marinating - really only put on some soy sauce and garlic salt and then put in a dehydrator. Turned out a little bland. Breakfast here of peaches, jerky, Breyer's Chocolate Crackle ice cream, coffee and of course the secret symbol in the jerky. Good for what ails you as they say.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Deer jerky

Post by Mike D. »

We made 68 lbs of meat from one of last season's bucks into jerky. We use a Cabela's grinder, some spices, and a jerky shooter. The dryer hold ten racks, about 25 lbs, and it takes 8 hours at 150º. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is all just sliced and I may have done it half of that timewise and had just 4 racks but it was 105 degrees here yesterday. Jerky didn't seem dry enough this am so twice I heated the oven to 200 then turned it off and let is sit maybe half an hour. Xperimenting here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I love jerky. Quite the breakfast. I was with ya until I read ice cream. Now, I'm not one to fuss about breakfast for dinner or vice versa, but I've never had ice cream for breakfast. Maybe I should. :D
Old Law Dawg
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I like to marinate my venison overnight before I dry it. It would seem like that would be too much but it isn't. For a marinade I use soy sauce, worchester sauce, black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, liquid smoke, etc. No two batches are the same!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Try the seasoning packages of jerky cure, the ones Cabela's sells under their own brand are pretty good.
When you get a jerky recipe you like, take some of your jerky and pull it to pieces then fix in a white gravy (like chipped beef gravy) and serve on biscuits... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I like a mixture of marinate of soy sauce, teriyaki, Worcestshire, brown sugar, and liquid smoke. I usually marinate for 48 hours. The longer the better.

I never fool with the burger for jerky. don't like it. I like to slice the steak thin and long. Then de-hydrate. But not too dry. Tom.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

kim, ice cream is great you have to try it and --- try Campbell's Vegetable Beef soup with premium saltines. If you get the big cans it is the old stuff with the fat in it. :)

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Jerky is one of my favorite uses for venison. I've tried all sorts of seasonings over the years but have settled on Hi-Mountain brand stuff. I just follow the directions (which includes seasoning it and letting it stew in the fridge for a day) and it turns out pretty good. Usually I stick it in the smoker for 1/2 hour to an hour than finish it in the oven (low temp, door propped slightly open) but I've also gone the easy route and season it with Lowery's Seasoned Salt and Black pepper and gone immediately into the oven and it turns out OK. The thing to remember is it takes a pretty good dose of seasoning which ever way you do it. Don't just season it like a steak, really do it up good.

Best thing I've ever done though was buying a jerky board and knife. Makes cutting up a roast easy and works with ground meat if you use a rolling pin on it.

LK
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

OS, funny you bring up Campbells Vegetable Beef, I love it. That and their chicken noodle. I usually eat them cold. As a kid that was our MRE's when we went out riding/camping/hiking and I got used to eating it cold. Love it.
Old Law Dawg