Savage 99 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Savage 99 ?

Post by Goat »

I have recently taken an intrest in Savage 99 s. Could someone point me in the right direction to learn more about them? I shoot as alefty so I am more interested in the tang safety models. How are they designated and what calibers were the available in?
Thanks, Goat
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Perhaps .... http://savage99.com
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

You can try this sub-forum;

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /40/page/1

Good luck.

Sean
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Goat, lots of good info in the Savage Colletors forum at 24hourcampfire. There are several guys there that know LOTS about Savage 99s. I know a little.

The tang safety models were not made until after 1960. In my opinion, the best made Savage 99s were made prior to 1960 and have the lever safety. With that being said, I have had some really nice post million 99A "Saddle Guns" in 250 and 300 Savage. The tang safety guns came in many configurations from short carbines to long rifles with monte carlo stocks. I know they came in:

22-250 (very rare)
243 Win
250 Sav
284 Win (rare)
7mm-08 (extremely rare)
300 Sav
308 Win
358 Win (rare)
375 Win (very rare)

Those are all the calibers I can think of, but have most likely missed a couple.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I remember one more, 22 High Power.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I dont think the 22HP was still in the Savage lineup by the 1960s. I could be wrong.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Try to stay away from any with a crack in the buttstock (a common occurance), since the M99 butt is very expensive to replace, due to the inletting - as compared to most other lever guns w/two-piece stocks.

Also, don't buy a "gray rat" (self-explainitory, once you see one), no matter how cheap - since it'll never appreciate in value like one with the blueing or case coloring in good condition.

They are accurate, moreso than most Winchesters & Marlins - but not as accurate as a BLR.

Younger shooters seem to like the removable magazine model(s), but I really like the rotary magazine w/brass indicator in the receiver window.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Run and Hide, for the 99 will snare you and Leveritis will control you every wakeing thought. :shock: :twisted: :wink: .Jim.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

99s were chambered in 30-30 as well...
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

[quote="Pete44ru"]
Also, don't buy a "gray rat" (self-explainitory, once you see one), no matter how cheap - since it'll never appreciate in value like one with the blueing or case coloring in good condition.

They are accurate, moreso than most Winchesters & Marlins - but not as accurate as a BLR.

quote]

Collectors don't like them but, if the "gray rat" is in otherwise good condition and the price is right, there's nothing wrong with one for a shooter. In a few years, it'll bring more than you will pay now anyway.
I have a R in .300 and a DL in .308 that consistantly groups a little tighter than my BLR.
Hobie, is there a number on your sight? -JDL
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There is no number on my sight. Perhaps a photo is in order... :?:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'd LOVE to find a cheap, mechanically sound, good bore "grey rat" in .308...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Ironsights wrote:I'd LOVE to find a cheap, mechanically sound, good bore "grey rat" in .308...
Yep, a 99A in .308 could become a .358 Win... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:I'd LOVE to find a cheap, mechanically sound, good bore "grey rat" in .308...
Yep, a 99A in .308 could become a .358 Win... :wink:
HERESY!

Dos't thou intend to despoil a rifle chambered in the Ultimate Battle Cartridge!?!?!

Forsooth! I have no desire for any Pointy Cartridge other than .308/NATO 7.62mm.

Practical am I. Leverguns in Cartridges of Military Caliber rise above the pack... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I see your point but the good old 7.62x51mm NATO is so mundane! :wink:

And what is this, talk like Shakespeare day? :lol: :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie