Ruger #1 feedback please.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger #1 feedback please.

Post by .45colt »

I am eyeballin a Ruger #1 and I can't rember ever hearing or reading much bad about them. anyone have any experience they would like to share? Good bad or otherwise. Thanks in advance. Jim.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger #1 feedback please.

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have 18 of them I think !

Everything from a 204 Ruger up to a 416 REM MAG .

I shot the smallest 3 shot group I've ever fired in my life with a rebarreled Ruger #1B in 22-250 AI we have .

Killed several deer last season with Ruger #1B's in 264 WIN MAG , 7mm REM MAG and 300 Weatherby !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Mine's a #1 RSI .30-06. Wonderful, compact, accurate rifle. They have a reputation with some for being picky accuracy-wise, but I have never known a bad one.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Let me start by saying that I think the #1 is one of best looking actions ever. However, I have only owned one; I had a #1V in 22-250 years ago that I never could get to shoot under an inch at 100 yards with ANY ammo. I finally traded it off.

But, my brother has a V in 6mm Remington that is absolutely incredible. Some would say that it is boringly accurate, personally I never find accuracy boring.

I would really like to have one of the new ones in 303 British!

Also, I think the RSI models, on any Ruger action are beautiful. (unlike Kashi, porch piller?...)
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I've owned one, a 1A in .270 Win. It was beautiful with tiger-striped figure in the stock, and after a bit, shot extremely well. I cleaned debris out of the barrel channel of the for-end and kept the screw just snug. Then, I proceeded to shoot it. After a hundred or so rounds of load development, the barrel settled in. Very satisfactory 3/4 inch 100 yard groups not only with my own load but with basic Remington 130 gr Cor-lokts. It would hold zero year in and year out. Nice rifle in all regards. I sold it because I had to go to very minimal recoil. Bummer. I miss it.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I presently have two Ruger No.1 rifles, one is an older "Red Pad" 45-70 and the other is a newer model in 6.5x55. Both are favorite cartridges of mine. The 6.5x55 cuts ORH at 100 yds off of the bags, and the 45-70 with certain loads is nearly so, cutting around 1.2" to 1.4" at 100 yds. With factory Remington 405s, the groups open to around 1.5" to 1.7", still nothing to sneeze at with that cartridge. Close only counts with horseshoes, atomic weapons, and 45-70s.

45-70:

6.5x55:

Both No.1 rifles are very accurate, and were so coming to me. I've had a couple friends who initially had accuracy problems, but working on the barrel channel in the fore ends to fully relieve any contact except at the very rear took care of the accuracy issues. The fore end is supported by a tang projecting from the front of the receiver under the barrel, and if the fore end barrel channel makes contact with the barrel, you can be off to the races chasing accuracy.

I'm seriously considering adding another No.1 in 30-40, my new favorite rimmed cartridge.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Noah Zark wrote: The 6.5x55 cuts ORH at 100 yds off of the bags.

6.5x55:
I'd like a 1A in 6.5x55 or possibly one of he 6.5 Creedmore's they just brought out !
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

One more comment. You'll notice in Noah Zark's pictures that his scopes are mounted back as far as he can. Not all scopes will work on a No 1 for proper eye relief since the mounts are quite far forward. Ruger has setback rings available that will help that situation if necessary. I suppose they still trade "unused" rings for you.

I think No 1s are the handsomest factory rifles available. Exceptional wood may not be as common as it once was on these rifles, but many still have great figure in the buttstock. I still want another....
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

I had a bad experience with the one Ruger #1 I have owned. I bought it new. It's a #1s in 45-70. The rib on top of the barrel where the scope bases attach was so out of alignment with the bore of the rifle that no scope I own had enough adjustment to get the bore and scope looking in the same direction. It was so far off the rifle would not hit 3' x 3' target at 100 yards. I contacted Ruger and they completely blew me off. The experience with this rifle was the worst example of any company standing behind their product that I have ever experienced.

Eventually I solved the problem on my own by installing a set of Millet adjustable bases and managed to get the rifle to hit the paper. Accuracy has been mediocre at best....and I have tried all the tricks.

Are they a cool looking classic rifle, yes. Was my rifle an individual lemon, probably. Would I buy another, what do you think?

A Winchester Collector
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

If I could get one heavy enough, I would like one in 338 Federal.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:If I could get one heavy enough, I would like one in 338 Federal.
Davidson's recently had a limited run of #1B's in 338 Federal .
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I owned a 375 H&H and loved it. I never tuned one for varmint accuracy but there is a bit of a tuning process noted for sub moa shooting in some rifles.

Stronger than a bank vault and down right attractive, what is not to love?
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I have a No 1 in 22 hornet. Just about as accurate as my 6mm PPC rifle.

And it has a lever! 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Canuck Bob wrote:I owned a 375 H&H and loved it. I never tuned one for varmint accuracy but there is a bit of a tuning process noted for sub moa shooting in some rifles.

Stronger than a bank vault and down right attractive, what is not to love?
My 375 H&H shoots well from the bench and recoil isn't bad !
The 416 #1H also shoots well and recoil with the Speer 350 grainer isn't bad from the bench either .

But the 1H I "had" in 458 WIN MAG could rock ur clock from the bench !
I kept that one maybe 3 weeks and sent it down the road for a tidy profit !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

A Ruger #1 is on my list. Just have never settled on a caliber.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

excellent shooter!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

300 RUM 5/8", 243 3/4" - didn't fire more than 10 rds total out of either.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bunyan

Post by bunyan »

I don't own one, but a friend of mine shoots one in .270. Its the only centerfire rifle he owns! I'd like one in 7X57 with the full mannlicher stock with nice wood and a varminter model in .223 with the bull barrel and a gray laminate stock. I have quite the bucket list for firearms!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I owned one in 45/70 for a few years. It was a pretty good shooter. My boy killed his first deer with it at about 12yrs old or so, and I killed a few and some other stuff with it. I shot 300gr factory loads in it, most of the time. The front sight was too short, If I remember correctly, for the 300gr load, but I scoped it so it didn't really matter to me.

I installed a Leupold 1.5 x 5 variable on it, and I did run into the problem of getting the scope positioned far enough back, but the generous eye relief of the Leupold, plus I shortened the buttstock some, was enough to make up for it, and it made into a sweet little rifle.

One little thing that bugged me about the rifle, and was partly the reason I decided to sell it, that and needing some money to buy another gun I had my eye on, was the tendency for the back of my hand to accidently hit the lever release button and drop the lever, if I was not careful.

Before I sold it, I had considered seeing if a gunsmith could bend the lever down some more, and make it similar to the old Ferguson singleshot rifle that was Bill Ruger's inspiration for the No. 1 to start with. In My opinion, He should have made the rifle with the lever bent down a little more, to give a bit more room to clear the back of the shooting hand, and my hand is not near as big and meaty as many people have, so I can't hardly believe I am the only one that has a problem with that issue.

Accuracy can be finiky with some #1's, but then again, I have seen finiky rifles in all action types, at one time or another. Some people will glass bed the forearm hanger and I think they free float the barrel, to improve accuracy, but I didn't need to do that with my 45/70, and I was getting about 1.5 inches, maybe 2 inches max at about 150yds which was the range I sighted the 300gr factory loads in for.
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think the #1's are beautiful, obviously strong, and a very quiet and short action, with of course limited 'repeat' shot ability, and (supposedly) not all that accurate; I think the lines of the gun are somewhat 'spoiled' by a scope, and I don't really care for the 'rib' style scope-mount anyway.

SO. . .

I always thought one would be great for a 'thumper' like .405 Winchester, or a suppressed 'whisper' type round like the .338 Whisper. 8) 8)

BUT. . .

The one I bought years ago was when I had 'magnumitis' and is in 7mm Rem Mag, which seems more appropriate in a scoped, heavy-barreled bolt gun. :roll:

NOW. . .

I ought to try to arrange a trade with someone who wants a 7mm Rem Mag Ruger #1.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got 3
300 Win Mag
7MM Rem Mag
45-70
Love em all
They all shoot better than I can :wink:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow!! Thanks for all the replies, great to hear. I'm leaning tword a 6.5x55 like Noah Has. :mrgreen:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Lastmohecken wrote: One little thing that bugged me about the rifle, was the tendency for the back of my hand to accidently hit the lever release button and drop the lever, if I was not careful.

Before I sold it, I had considered seeing if a gunsmith could bend the lever down some more, and make it similar to the old Ferguson singleshot rifle that was Bill Ruger's inspiration for the No. 1 to start with. In My opinion, He should have made the rifle with the lever bent down a little more, to give a bit more room to clear the back of the shooting hand, and my hand is not near as big and meaty as many people have, so I can't hardly believe I am the only one that has a problem with that issue.

Hmmmm , I never had that one happen to me and I have large but not "meaty" hands . I cannot see it being a recoil thing either as I have the 416 REM MAG that never caused that problem and a 458 WIN MAG that would kick the s..t out of you but not do with the lever as you say .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've had several No. 1s over the years, and am very please with my current gem, in .450-400 Nitro Express. This late 1890s Jeffery cartridge seems a perfect match for the Farquharson-inspired No. 1 action. I have on old El Paso Weaver K 2.5 scope on it and if I ever have to chase a hippo out of the garden, I am good to go.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I had one for over 30 years and shot everything with it. 338 mag and it would shoot cloverleafs all day long
with 275 Speers and a heavy charge - the Keith load - of 4831. Factory 300 Winchester Power Points (when you could still get
them) would do even better. 2-7 x33 Leupold that in 30 years and Lord knows how many hunts I never had
to touch.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

It is really a nice rifle, the one I have is the 45-70 model it has been rechambered to 450 3 1/4" nitro, it is a bit stout with nitro loads but with the older BPE loads it fun, only thing I have had to do too it , is shim the hanger bar with a rubber donut
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I don't know if a No. 3 counts, but I have one in .223.
When I bought it, it appeared to be unfired but no box and I bought it to shoot so the box meant nothing to me.
I have considered having it rebored to 6.5x55, but it shoots so well, it would be a shame to change it.

It puts three 60 grain Sierra HPs or Hornady (plastic-tipped something 'ruthers) into 3/8" at a hundred yards as often as I care to try it on paper and is one of those that just seems to hit what I point it at with little effort - at least within 300 yards. I have a "vintage" Bushnell 6x Command Post on it because it is the only scope I had that I could get back (almost) far enough to see through. LOP is a bit long, but most factory guns are long for me.

After hearing/reading how finicky and problematic they were for so many years, I thought I got an unusual one, but maybe not, as two of three Ranch Rifles I have owned shot under an inch with no modifications too, but I don't empty the mag in a matter of seconds either.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The #1s like all Rugers tend to be inaccurate. Occasionally you find one that shoots ok.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I have an old #1 A-B in 30-06 I've taken between 50-75 deer with and consider it to be about the perfect deer rifle between 5 abd 300yds. Some say they have accuracy issues but none I have seen.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Swampman wrote:The #1s like all Rugers tend to be inaccurate. Occasionally you find one that shoots ok.
I'm curious why you would make such a blanket statement. What specific experience have you had that soured you on Rugers?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I've owned a lot of Ruger firearms. The longguns esp. have been very disappointing in the accuracy dept.

A very well known gun writer once stated "If Ruger ever produced an accurate rifle, it must still be at the factory."
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

A friend put Me in touch with a guy who has one in 30-06 with a 26" barrel. I don't rember seeing one like that. I thought they (30-06) were usually 22"? any Ideas?
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

The older Standard No 1's had the big forearm and (generally) had 26" barrels. I don't think these are cataloged anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong. The No1A (light sporter) has and had the Alex Henry forearm that is pretty IMO and carries a 22" barrel. These make for really trim rifles.

Edit: I just checked Ruger. If you look at the varmint rifle, it still carries the big forearm. The .30-06 you mentioned would look similar, but with a thinner barrel. You'd get max performance out of the 26" barrel, but the rifle would be heavier (already a heavy rifle), and I think much less attractive. That's all in the eye of the beholder, though.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Swampman wrote:I've owned a lot of Ruger firearms. The longguns esp. have been very disappointing in the accuracy dept.

A very well known gun writer once stated "If Ruger ever produced an accurate rifle, it must still be at the factory."

Hmmmm , I've shot the ONLY sub .1" 3 shot group at 100 yards I've ever shot in my life with a Ruger #1 . Granted I am sure that one was a fluke but that rifle is a consistent 1/4-1/2 MOA rifle .

I had a Ruger 77VT MK-II in 6mm PPC and another in 204 Ruger that were consistent 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards . And neither of these had anything done to them other then massaging the triggers and of course handloads . Both had Ruger FACTORY barrels .

So who's this well known pillar of the gun writing community you mention ?
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

There sure seems to be alot of us that can't complain about the acuracy of Rugers, but have met a few that will blame problems on everything else. :lol: :lol: