O/T Any experience with .375 HH

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

O/T Any experience with .375 HH

Post by m.wun »

For some reason lately I have had a facination with the 375 HH.Having no real use for one
but that never stopped me.Someone here has surely has got some experience with it?I like the fact that its a bigger bore but has the velocity to get out there.A nice bolt gun with a low powered scope and the fact it could be loaded down for lighter loads sounds fun!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: O/T Any experience with .375 HH

Post by TedH »

Ive got a pre-64 mod. 70 Winchester in 375 H&H. Had a devil of a time getting it to shoot like I thought it should. Finally hit paydirt with the 300 gr. Hornady RN loaded to 2500 fps with Win. 760. Shoots nice little cloverleaf groups with that load. I have never harvested anything with it, and have not even shot it in 7 or 8 years. She has been just a safe queen for a while, but i bought it mainly as an investment anyway. It is rather hard on brass, I only get about three loadings before I get case head seperation signs. In fact, had a couple cases that I had loaded 5ive times that came out of the rifle in two pieces. :shock: I now toss them after three loadings.
NRA Life Member
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

m.wun wrote:For some reason lately I have had a facination with the 375 HH.Having no real use for one
but that never stopped me.Someone here has surely has got some experience with it?I like the fact that its a bigger bore but has the velocity to get out there.A nice bolt gun with a low powered scope and the fact it could be loaded down for lighter loads sounds fun!
m.wun,

I've got a Browning A-Bolt chambered for this cartridge. Like most of my guns, I just "play" with it. You must have missed my report on this gun, shooting 300 grain solid bullet through 24 plastic, gallon milk jugs filled with water. This gun does not have the weight of most guns chambered for this cartridge. A hair over 8 lbs, empty while most gun in this chambering are 9 lbs or more. I had a limbsaver recoil pad put on it and it's a pleasure to shoot--you do know that you've stepped into another kind of "gun world" when it goes off. ( That assumes you're coming from the experience of the average shooter.) I like the light weight of this gun and with 26" bbl you'd expect it to weigh more.

Winchester now makes their current version of their model 70 chambered for the 375 H&H ctg. I think about selling my Browning and buying it and may do so. Check it out at the Winchester site. It's the more typical 9+ lbs in weight.

Don
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I've had a fair amount of experience with the .375 H&H. My .375 Mauser is my "ONE GUN" choice, should the Democrat party ever finally achieve their goal of allowing an American to own only 1 firearm. I've hunted with my .375, taken a wide variety of African game and domestic deer and hogs.
Over the years, I've developed loads ranging from VERY mild cast bullets for range fun, to pretty hot 300 gn. FMJ for Cape buffalo. I've had great success on game with the Speer 235 SP.
I have a simple 4x Leupold on mine, and haven't ever wanted more. I probably should add here that despite having the loads worked up for Buff....in case I needed that rifle for back-up...I've done all my buff shooting with my .458 win mag.

GREAT caliber.....VERY versatile. I've not had the case-life issues mentioned earlier. I'm still loading cases I've had around for 30 yrs.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I originally had a Ruger #1H in 375 H&H MAG and I traded it to a friend then in PA and now in WY for an Interams Mark X Whitworth also in 375 H&H MAG . I used handloads with the no longer made Nosler 260 grain BT to wack a couple deer here in VA about 5 years back !

Then last year my friend in WY and I decided to trade again and in the course of all that went down we swapped rifles back again !

So now I have my original Ruger #1H 375 H&H MAG back again !

And believe it or not they both get acceptable accuracy with the same load using the Nosler 260 BT which I happen to have maybe 250 of on hand when I heard they'd cease production ! Incidently my load with the Nosler 260 BT is 74 grains of RL-15 and a Federal 215 primer . Both rifles gave me about 1 - 1 1/4" for 3 shots at 100 yards . While it may not be a bench gun it's plenty good enough for what I'll do with it ! I think the absolute best group I've shot with either rifle was 3/4" . But typically they stay right in the inch to inch and aquarter range .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've fired hundreds of round from 375HH's. Some have been double rifles or express rifles but most bolt guns. Most recently a Zastava Mauser 98 with 22" bbl. My favorite load has been the 260 gr Nosler Accubond flying at 2600 fps. It has surprisingly low recoil and a very useable 300 yard trajectory with minimum fuss. I've shot deer and hogs with the 260 NAB and took it elk hunting. The #1 do everything combo for this cartridge is the 380 grain Rhino with the 380 grain Dzombo, 350 grain Northfork Solid or newer 350 grain Barnes solid. This one-two of expanding bullet and solid is very mild to shoot at just 2200 fps (compared to full house 375 HH 270gr or 300 gr loads) and it hits like a freight train. The visible impact and effect when the 380 Rhino hits an animal appears every bit the same as a .40 cal and even some .45 caliber bullets. The Rhinos always expand into a razor sharp 4 petal flower and the solid shank keeps it going. That rifle has accounted for water buffalo, cape buffalo, kudu, red hartebeest, warthog, impala, blue and black wildebeest, lion, eland and giraffe with the heavy combo. As a PH I rely on a rimmed cartridge double rifle for insurance but as a client or under different circumstances I would choose the 375 HH with the right bullets and a rifle that fits over larger calibers. I've enjoyed shooting the pretty inexpensive Hornady 270 grain bullets loaded to a paltry 2400 fps for deer, hogs and exotics. Accuracy has been nothing short of exceptional in several rifles but even the fussy ones would do 1.75 inch groups at 100 yds. The best of them would do an inch or under with 3 shots. The cartridge is easy to reload and I found Remington brass to require less trimming and other care than the Hornady brass, but I've used both up to 8 or 10 reloads. I always wanted to try the 235 gr Barnes but never did since I got all the performance I needed out of the 3 other expanding bullets I used. As far as rifles, three things are important to me. First, the fit of the stock. It needs to have a comb that puts my eyes in line with the sights with a snug cheek. About the only stock gun I found that does that for me is the pre-80 CZ/BRNO's and the old model Rugers. The length of the stock needs to allow a quick gun mount yet not be too long that you cannot reach, pull and return the bolt with the gun shouldered. The second thing is rifle weight. A lot of 375's are 10 pound rifles (even more) in a bolt gun. While this helps with recoil it is hard to carry for long periods of time under arduous conditions. I've had clients that are in otherwise good shape have trouble with the weight of their 10 or 12 pound rifle after 3 or 4 hours. They had no trouble at home on the bench or in static field positions. As long as the rifle fits properly I prefer 8 - 8.5 pounds plus another pound and change for a scope. You will carry it much more than shoot it. I am used to carrying a 11 pound double rifle. On an elk hunt I felt like I was dragging my 375 bolt gun at 11.75 pounds total. Lastly, the safety. If you are going to hunt dangerous game, stand hunt anything (especially black bear) or just shoot mock safari style you have to be able to quickly take the safety off as you mount the rifle. For my body and hand size I cannot manipulate the 3-position "mauser style" wing safety to the off position as I mount the rifle. This type safety is also very noisy if done abruptly. Ideally, I want a tang safety but I can also use the toggle safety (on the right side of a right handed rifle). I can push the safety forward as I mount the rifle and it comes off positively every time. Unless you are looking at a single shot the topic of controlled round feed comes up often when talking about medium and big bore rifles. As a client your job is to put the first shot when it belongs. My job as the PH is to get you within your comfort zone, get you a clear shot and talk you through it. Then I fix any problems. You are welcome to try to help but you are not obligated. If your rifle is tried and true at home when used briskly, the odds of failing at the worst possible time are slim. If that slim chance happens, I have to do my job all the more proficiently. Everyone I know that shoots a good 375 falls in love with it. The last two I had went to clients that purchased them from me. One was a deer hunter that used it in TX, the other went to S. Africa on his hunt of a lifetime. The 375 HH I've always wanted is the discontinued Savage Alaskan Guide. It has all the features I want (let me know if you find one for sale). You are never "under-gunned" with a 375 HH and you can load it so the recoil is like Capt. Kirk's taser or like the Enterprise hitting an asteroid. If yo have an interest - get one. There is a strong market for them so if you just didnt fall for it you could easily move it on to someone else. Good Luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I've owned nearly a dozen .375's over the years and have shot many MANY thousands of rounds through them :D I love the .375 H&H. Used to be whenever I used it for target practice I would never let myself take more than 100 rounds. Because I shot up every single round I would take! And what a cast bullet shooter it is. Like it was made for cast bullets :mrgreen:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

86er,

Interesting info regarding your thoughts about 375 H&H.

From what I can find, so far, the Savage Alaskan Guide gun was made in limited numbers and maybe--originally--only available in Alaska. Basically the model 110 action? Kind of surprised at your choice of Savage over a lot of other brands.

I might have my Browning barrel cut back to 20" and a larger bolt handle to replace the original rather small bolt handle. Just for kicks--pun intended. Maybe add a holographic or aimpoint sight.

Just came across a guy who did considerable bear hunting with your favorite gun. Judge Folta used a Remington model 8 chambered for the 35 Remington to kill many bears. "Of Bench and Bears." Have you read it? Ordered it today.

To me a lot of the fun of the 375 H&H is simply the power. Of course, also it's great history.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Shot a few - all seemed to be quite accurate and sort of shotgun like in their recoil.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2X22 wrote:And what a cast bullet shooter it is. Like it was made for cast bullets :mrgreen:
That's one of the COOL things about that round. Small enough caliber for cast to work well, and large enough caliber to make a big hole.

I think someone on this forum has a .375 H&H Improved (i.e. Ackley-type) and had excellent results from it. That might (?) be an easier-on-brass shape for multiple reloadings.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I have some experience with the round...a little over 35 yrs. Mine is an old Mark X Mauser Alaskan .458 Winny rebarreled in 1983 by Shaw (24" #3 contour). If y'all don't have one...then you might want to give it a try. I dote on mine even though it is an old, really beatup rifle. It may look like a beater, but barrel & action are like new even with over 10k rounds (80% cast) through it. Learned how to modify my magazine to reliably take 4 rnds. It feeds cast & j-bullets equally well, so I have a 5 shot rifle. I take real good care of my guns. I have to use them to eat from time to time.

One thing...I took the time to work up to the recoil of top loads & a fairly light rifle early on. I got used to the substantial recoil from shooting it so much. Loaded, it weighs about 10 lbs. A little muzzle heavy, which I like.
If I'm having a good day, all my loads including cast stay at or under 1.5" at 100 yrds for 5 shots. Killed a lot of game with it, from badger & 'yotes up through Elk & Bear. To me it is a pure joy to own & use. My favorite cast load leaves a 3/8" hole in a rabbit, I can eat right up to the bullet hole. Yummm! :D

I'm old school....22rf, .243, 30 WCF, '06's & the .375. Add my .444P & I have just about everything covered. That's my basic kit...and they all get used quite a bit.

If y'all want some of my favorite loads just ask. It can be a pussycat or tear your head off with the recoil. Either way it will deal death to anything in North America or Africa & keep you safe & well fed (fat & sassy). You are never undergunned if you have one and are well practiced with it. Confidence in you, your rifle & shot placement are everything. Make it "firstest with the mostest" (Gen. N.B. Forrest).

Oh, I almost forgot...If you're looking for one gun to handle anything, anytime, anywhere...you could do a whole lot worse. Check out the latest loads @ loadata.com for the CZ550. It's a heavier action than my '98 & can digest loads (if they are for real) that simply walk away from the new Ruger .375. Don't get me wrong, the Ruger cartridge is a terrific outfit. Noting that, I will stay with my old Holland Mauser '98.

The grandest of the grand, the .375 belted rimless nitro express. A Holland & Holland masterpiece!

Hope this helps...

Best to y'all...

LB
Last edited by LeverBob on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Thanks for all the replies! The cartridge is definately on the short list.Maybe some of the
overtime can be put to use!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

I also have alway's wanted a 375H&H you guy's have just reminded me :lol:
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I sold the .375H&H Ruger #1 I had, because I wanted a repeater - BUT, after it was gone, Winchester Model 70's in .375 (my 1st choice) were virtual unobtainium, or extremely costly when found - or a newer one with stainless/synthetic (which I decidedly didn't want).

Sooo, after trying a .458 Model 70 African, I just ordered a new CZ-550 American Safari - $675 to my door.(One is most likely more expensive, today)

The CZ turned out to be the silk purse - beautiful Circasian stock with double recoil lugs, a single-set adj trigger, and nicely checkered & finished.
All I had to do was relocate the front sling swivel QD post from the forend botton to a barrel band - I filled the old location with a polished cartridge head.

Having seen the crappy CZ rings before, I put a set of Burris/CZ rings & a Leupold 2.5x scope on it to augment the excellent issue express sights.

I field-tested it in a local convenience store, and it worked well, w/o even having to fire it ! ;) . :mrgreen:

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

LeverBob and Pete44ru,

LeverBob. You sure do have experience with the 375 H&H. Enjoyed your thoughts.

Pete44ru. I too have removed the front sling swivel post from my gun and had a barrel band type sling attachment installed. Your idea of using the head of the cartridge case for a filler--where the original post was--is a good one and I might do that.

Question for those of you who may have done it--How drastic was the change in felt recoil and noise when you cut your 375 H&H bbl back to 20" length? Concerned if I do this I might be "biting off more than I can chew." My A-Bolt bbl is now 26" length. Also thinking about having the small bolt handle of this gun replaced with a much larger one. That short bbl and big bolt handle might make for some memorable fast repeating shots! Could be fast with the short bolt handle movement of this gun. As fast as recoil will allow. :D

Don
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

getitdone1 wrote:LeverBob and Pete44ru,

LeverBob. You sure do have experience with the 375 H&H. Enjoyed your thoughts.

Pete44ru. I too have removed the front sling swivel post from my gun and had a barrel band type sling attachment installed. Your idea of using the head of the cartridge case for a filler--where the original post was--is a good one and I might do that.

Question for those of you who may have done it--How drastic was the change in felt recoil and noise when you cut your 375 H&H bbl back to 20" length? Concerned if I do this I might be "biting off more than I can chew." My A-Bolt bbl is now 26" length. Also thinking about having the small bolt handle of this gun replaced with a much larger one. That short bbl and big bolt handle might make for some memorable fast repeating shots! Could be fast with the short bolt handle movement of this gun. As fast as recoil will allow. :D

Don
Thanks Don, however, listen to someone like 86er...he has worldwide experience with his rifle & I don't. Learning to use a heavy rifle just takes time & a little effort. I use mine across the board, not just as a specialty. From mice to moose...

I hope you don't buy into the lie that a short barrel is just the ticket for fast handling. A long barrel will smooth out your swing & is just as fast...i.e. Wayne Mayes & Todd Bender are referrenced. Skeet is shot with barrels up to 34" now & tubed to boot. Short barrels are whippy, unsteady & muzzle rise will be severe with a shorty, not to mention the ballistic loss. Even so...I also dote on my .444P, so...go figure :?

Do what you want with your own rifle and it is my hope that you get one. Hope it turns out just the way you like it. But, get one...you won't be sorry. Sore initially, but not sorry. :mrgreen:

LB
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I think the barrel length should be directly related to getting the perfect gun balance. My Zastava has a 22" barrel that balances perfectly. I've used a BRNO that has a 25" barrel and it too balanced perfectly. This is because the weight and contour of the barrels compliment the weight of the stock and action. I've not noticed any difference in noise or recoil between 20" 375 Ruger and 24" 375 Ruger or 22" 375 HH and 24", 25" or 26" 375 HH.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

86er wrote:I think the barrel length should be directly related to getting the perfect gun balance. My Zastava has a 22" barrel that balances perfectly. I've used a BRNO that has a 25" barrel and it too balanced perfectly. This is because the weight and contour of the barrels compliment the weight of the stock and action. I've not noticed any difference in noise or recoil between 20" 375 Ruger and 24" 375 Ruger or 22" 375 HH and 24", 25" or 26" 375 HH.
86er,

You bring-up another good subject. "Perfect gun balance." Now, how is that determined? Is it true that what is good gun balance for one guy may not be for someone else?

I've never given gun balance much consideration but if it will help with your accuracy and getting on target faster--and I'm sure it would--it's worth knowing about.

So how do I determine what is the best length barrel for my Browning A-Bolt 375 H&H? It's now 26 inches--and yet the gun is only a hair over 8 lbs, empty. I like it that light but know some guys don't.

Don
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Figure out how you hold the gun and see if the balance point is between your hands. Depending on the barrel contour, 1" will be 1.5 to 2.25 ounces in most cases. There is a lot more to it but that is the short story.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

My thoughts:

A fine rifle will have a "live" feel. I read decades ago that Bell's 7mm had such a feel. I learned that in your hands a rifle (balance is #1 as 86er says) feels as if it is "alive". It is not something separate, but part of your living being. I guess that means that when you shoulder & shoot it...it does it all by itself. When I competed in skeet I modified a Remington 3200 1 of 1000's stock to what I thought "fit" should be for me. It came alive for me in international skeet. 100 straights started to pop up (in the 19 and 80's). Since my very early teens, my guns at game seem to shoot all by themselves.

My .375 Mauser happened to have the right drop, cast off & toe-out for my body build. The length of pull was a little too long. It was cut to approx. 13.5" LOP & I remounted the pad. Off hand the rifle came alive for me. I do believe it is a completerly subjective thing. All my rifles are modified to the specs of that Mauser, including my old beatup Mdl. 70 '06. That old '06 shoots all by itself no matter what I shoot at.

My test is offhand riflery. If a gunner can shoot near what he shoots off the bench in the 5 positions, then he is a true rifleman & his rifle is properly fitted to him. Offhand is the test. I don't need a set of cross sticks. I learned from a very fine true marksman early on...my Pa. He drilled all of us (brothers & sister) constantly on 5 position from the time we were around 3 years old each. Rifle marksmenship was his all consuming game, he competed at Camp Perry for many years. My mama was from a southern Arkansas farm & could shoot almost as well as he could...they were a perfect match. Y'all get the idea...

I read many years later that it is very hard to fit an American rifleman with a stock. An article in Amer. rifleman in the 60's said that we adjust so fast to changes that the english stockers at H & H nearly pull their hair out, because we adjust so quickly to any changes. Maybe others have read such in the past.

A masterpiece like the .375 almost demands that you fit the stock to YOU & then practice till you are so tuned into your rifle that there is no discerning any difference between you or your rifle. That precludes being fickle too pards, find the honey you like & stick with it. No divorce...try to find THE ONE & then stick with it through thick and thin.

LB
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I owned a Remington 700 Classic in 375 for a few years. I killed several deer and a few armidillo with it. I used the lighter 235 gr bullets in my handloads, at about 2900ft per second, if I remember correctly. Sometimes the bullets opened up and sometimes they didn't. On lung shots, a deer would sometimes run a ways, about like hitting one with a .270 win.

However, I shot several running deer during that time, and what was really interesting was it seemed like the sorrier the shot I made, the better the bullets preformed. If I ever hit any bone, or other resistance, the bullets would open up and do a bang up job, but like I said poke one through the lungs and it would often run a hundred yards.

I later got to using a 350 Remington Mag, and liked it better, as I could find several bullets that worked very well for me, under about all kinds of conditions. But later on I went back to my old Browning BLR in .308 with 180gr silvertips, a lighter and faster handling rifle, and seemed to drop deer about as well, sometimes better.

However, I do believe that a good .375 HH would serve as a all around gun, to hunt the world with, and in a light rifle, would make a fine bear gun and elk rifle.
NRA Life Member, Patron
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Lastmohecken,

Your comments about the 375, 350 Rem and 308 make a lot of sense to me. Appears the 375 bullets needed more resistance than you usually get from a deer and when you said when that bullet met more resistance than usual it seemed to perform better--which kind of verifies this.

Good to hear your BLR 308 finally got first place for deer since I recently bought one in 308. Mighty handy gun. Mine has 20" bbl and repeat shots can be fast. A slick gun with many nice features. I'm a little curious about your 180 gr bullet for deer rather than 150 gr. Less meat lost due to 180's slower velocity and not mushrooming as much?

Don