Tell me,do ya prefer living in mountains /flat lands /swamps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Tell me,do ya prefer living in mountains /flat lands /swamps

Post by madman4570 »

or a dreaded City Slicker :lol: :o
Me, I be a Mountain Man :D :lol
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Tell me,do ya prefer living in mountains /flat lands /swamps

Post by m.wun »

Being in Ca. the only good thing here is Im less than 1-2 hrs from any of them but I like
the mountains best.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I like hills and desert.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

would like to move to tennessee smokey mountains...
kinda tired of the florida heat
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Only ever lived in Iowa :cry: but having my druthers I'll take the high desert. If mosquitos out number me (and only me) than I cross it off my list of future homes. SO sick of the little bastards.

LK
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I am pretty well settled right here in north Arkansaw, real fine country.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Just about anywhere in Wyoming is fine with me. :D

Well, almost anywhere, there IS Rock Springs. :shock:
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I like living here in the northwoods of Mn. I prefer thousands of acres of woods and swamps with no roads or people. Some good areas also are close with thousands of lakes and granite outcropings topped with huge white pines. I love it here........I sure like to visit the Rocky mountains now and then though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

I'd love to move to the mountains.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I live in the Piedmont region of central Virginia and have almost my entire life !

I also however like the Eastern Shore of Maryland ! Of course thats pretty much because I like hunting Sika Deer there !

I also like parts of Mindanao Island in the Philippines !

So you could say I like rolling hills , marshland and tropical islands !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I LIKE IT RIGHT HERE IN THE HIGH LONESOME. THE ONLY THING BETTER IS TO HEAD FURTHER WEST TO THE HIGHER LONESOME. I DO LIKE THE HIGH PLAINS ALSO WHERE IN MANY PLACES YOU CAN DRIVE AT NIGHT AND NOT SEE A SINGLE LIGHT FOR TWENTY OR THIRTY MINUTES AT A TIME.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Lived high desert, plains, mountains and some time on the ocean. I'll take the mountains anyday. But, it depends on the mountains.
Old Law Dawg
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

High desert 4500 ft. + & the Sierra Nevada Mtns. Y'all can have the cities. Carson City is too big: 52,000 Pop. Give me G-D's country.

LB
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

Born and raised on the Mississippi river, call me a river rat. Lived for years in a boat house (floating shack) until I met my wife and moved to dry land.
The only other area I fell in love with was the high deserts of the west.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

All of the above. As long as I can sit up and take nurishment... I'll take living over the alternative. BTW, the sittin' up part is optional.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you are on really flat and treeless ground, you might need a hundred acres to get the same degree of visual privacy and noise reduction you'd get from five or ten acres of hilly/wooded ground, so for those who might want to shoot in their back yard, I always advise to look for hilly places, not just for 'backstop' reasons.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Here on Missouri's Osage Plains, I live close enough to the Ozarks to get my fill of hills, rocks and brush whenever I want. It takes about a day and a half to get all I can stand and it lasts a little over ten years.
I'm always so happy to get back to prairie, pasture and farm land where trees grow along the river bottoms where they belong.
Last edited by 765x53 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Moved from Iowa to the high desert - no bugs, no humidity, play golf year round. :D Only spent one night in the swamps of Louisiana. Won't be headed back there.
Last edited by Old Savage on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Every place other than big cities have their draws, hard for me to pick one. But it would have to be a place with trees, changes in climate, some natural water, and no people within a gun shot off my back porch.

NW Montana, north of St. Regis might work. The northern reaches of Wisconsin and the UP works for me also..been in some nice spots in Ontario, B.C., Idaho, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, dern too many nice places.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Every day I thank God for blessing me with this place.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've lived lots of places and most of them were good places. But Northern Nevada is danged close to perfection, far as I'm concerned: big valleys, rugged mountain ranges with lots of country above treeline, and most of it accessible without having to know or pay someone. Yeah, LeverBob's country. I'd be there yet if we didn't have all the family here in Oregon. But Central and Eastern Oregon is not too shabby, far as the land and the people go.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I live up here in the mountains 20.5 miles from the crater of Mt St Helens. I love the mountains and wouldn't have it any other way. Plus in 2 hours I can be at the ocean or in the desert, depending if I want to go East or West.

Biggest drawback are all the durned elk... :mrgreen:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Mountain valleys for me. SW Colorado comes to mind. One of the beauties there is it's pretty clear sailing outta there south (to where I am!) when it gets too cold or snowy. Otherwise, In my mind I've gotta be near either the ocean or the mountains, preferably Pacific and Rocky respectively. Being half way inbetween's not a bad gig, but it is still too far (6-8 hours) to significant quantities of either. Not complaining though: There are many spots in our fair land much further to either than I am!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

That's a tough one. They all have their attraction and own beauty to me. I've lived in the Texas Hill Country and the New Mexico desert, and spent a lot of time in the mountains and various other terrains. I'm not too picky on what kind of country I live in as long as there aren't too many people around me. I'd love to get out of the city and to a place where I can shoot off the back porch if I was of a mind to.

If I had to pick one type of place to live....I just don't know if I could do it. It would be hard to choose between the mountains in the Capitan/Ruidoso area of New Mexico, the Texas Hill Country, or somewhere like the Smokey Mountains/Ozarks, etc.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The only thing I don't like is flat plains. Other than that I find it all very pretty and would live pretty much anywhere. Heck, I even like New York City for its own charms. Be a gun lover's nightmare however...

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Raised in western part of Georgia and lived in Atlanta 30 years.We moved here to upstate South Carolina about 14 years ago by choice.Great place.Good people.Good climate.30 minutes to the mountains.4 hours to the beach.This is just a great place to be.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Currently I live in what you can call low rolling hills, southern New England specifically. Ideally I wish to live elsewhere. A prime example is what happened this morning. I don't do heat and humidity very well and in a nutshell I expectorated quite a bit. Last weeks heat wave was actually painful.

Out of the three catagories it would be the mountains. Clear, cool and dry.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Well there are things I enjoy about each of the places I have lived. I grew up on 250 acres in north Alabama where the mountains/hills are. Now I live in Louisiana 2 min away from Honey Island Swamp. Both have some beautiful scenery and both have some things I like and things I dislike.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

The Florida flatwoods is my choice. We have some nice rivers and some beautiful hardwood hammocks. A rise or hill to us is where someone pushed up a pile of dirt and forgot to level it back out. :P
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I'm from the southern swamp. Humidity so high you can chew it. Cypress knees and Tupelo Gum, cottonmouths and gators, I love it.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The semi-sticks, auld phart park in western Washington ain't too bad. There's livestock, and fowl I hear every morning. Very close to Puget Sound, Mt Rainier, open hunting land where ever you look. Almost unlimited fishing opps. Temperate clime (if a bit cloudy and damp). Yet only an hour to Seattle, a little less to Tacoma, if I feel a need for good live music, or a ball game. I have to admit, I've grown fond of high speed internet and good cell phone coverage :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Wyoming
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Personally, I favor the mountains over all other climes. next would be the Ocean for the sailing and fishing.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

we have all three in much of alaska, including within the city limits here in anchorage
cable
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I reside in both flats and mountains. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm pretty lucky. Calgary is close to the Rockies, Banff is an hour away and the Crown Land foothills and mountains are about 30 minutes. East is the dry badland country. Given my preference though give me the Canadian Boreal Forest and Shield Country. I love the bush.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I too love the mountains but my chosen work and location needed for that pretty much excludes living in them.

I am looking forward to moving to the land that I recently purchased in north-central Mississippi - rolling hills, piney woods - super super productive land for wildlife and anything you'd care to raise or grow - really a great place to be should you end up having to live off of the land and just outstanding for the sportsman. How many places do you know have a deer season that starts in October and ends at the end of January and allows one deer PER DAY? There are all kinds of hunters there but even with this liberal limit, the yearly harvest falls short of what is considered "ideal" by the DNR. And when you're not deer hunting you can hunt turkey, dove, pigs, and all of the usual small game species with squirrel and rabbit topping the list. And then there's the fishing... ;)

ImageImage

As much as I love the mountains, they simply can't hold a candle to land like that in terms of productivity. But they sure are pretty. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

High Mountains. If it doesn't have a treeline/snow within sight in August, it's just a hill. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

harry wrote:Wyoming
About the only thing that excludes is real swamps... and even that's iffy.

Ah well. At least Laramie Peak isn't too far away from the WyoBraska flats... :|
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Front yard,

Some of the country I like to hang out in,

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I would rather be in scrub covered foothills then any where else. I like the feeling of standing on a ridge and being able to see unobstructed
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JReed wrote:I would rather be in scrub covered foothills then any where else. I like the feeling of standing on a ridge and being able to see unobstructed
Especially with a Ma Duce or MK19 :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, kinda a hard question to answer. I really don't want to give up living at the beach. The weather is so pleasant, what with the great moderator (ocean) being so close. Now, my favorite outdoor venue would be the high desert. Here in SoCal, it gets the least amount of "visitors", so it's easier to get away from folks there. Plus, we have lots of it a few hours away.

As was mentioned earlier, the mountains and deserts are all pretty close. I could easily leave my house, play in the snow in a couple of hours, have lunch and shoot jacks around lunch, and be back at the beach for a beautiful sunset, in a single day. It's also nice to have the retail and entertainment options available. Now, if we could do something about the political climate, this area would be perfect.

With all that said, my retirement plans are to relocate to the desert, somewhere outside of California. The beach won't be as close, but the mountains can be. In addition, the areas I'm looking at have a lower cost of living, and a much better political climate. Heck, property costs alone are tremendously lower. Even if I just rented this place out, and rented another (never gonna happen, I'm not giving money up for a place to live and not ending up with it permanently) I'd be well ahead financially.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Lived by the beach, lived in the suburbs, lived in the country, and now I live in a small valley right up against the Rockies. We can see the Denver metro area from a cut in the hills around our valley but we've not a single commercial building in here. Its an eight minute drive and I'm at 9,000ft in the mountains I love, but a 5 minute drive to both a freeway and grocery store right outside our valley so my wife is happy. I won't be moving from here until I'm carried away.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Fantastic front yard view!
cable
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I love a Combo of Heavy Oak Ridges with scattered Cedar Swamps. Like this....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

The only time I dont like the mountains or swamps is when I am walking. That being said, I am pretty much a flatlander, although I do appreciate what each has to offer.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

BlaineG wrote:
JReed wrote:I would rather be in scrub covered foothills then any where else. I like the feeling of standing on a ridge and being able to see unobstructed
Especially with a Ma Duce or MK19 :lol:
:lol: :lol: Actually I was thinking a long barreled 30-06 with a 6.5-20x44 PA Viper Vortex scope. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Im in Denver now on bizness. I greatly prefer the front range to Oklahoma, but I have too many ties to Okieland to walk away.
Plus I have a nice house and 10 acres there for the price of a much smaller place here. Ditto for the beach. Had an apartment in Chula Vista (San diego) with ready beach acces. Loved it, but I would have a hard time buying a house there.
In a way, Oklahoma plains play second fiddle to both the beach and mountains for me, but the qualty of life is nice, employment is good in my vocation and cost of living is great.
So while I still think wistfully about the front range and the beach as well, living on the plains has its own perks.
----- Doug
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Growing up in the military, I've lived in and seen quite a few different places. I love vacationing in the Rockies, and I love going "home" to south Louisiana to visit (and to eat). But I live in the Flint Hills Region of Kansas by choice. I like watching the sun rise and the moon rise on the east horizon, and to watch both set in the west. We may have to put up with some serious wind at times but the rolling hills and the tall grass prairie are beautiful. Good hunting; White Tails in the east, Mulies in the west, Antelope, Turkeys, Upland game birds, cotton tails, jacks and squirrels. What is not to like?

Oh, and any one who thinks that Kansas is flat, has never ridden from the west to the east on a bicycle (BAK - Biking Across Kansas).