New Western Movies in the Pipe line

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

New Western Movies in the Pipe line

Post by Rube Burrows »

I didnt want to take away from the Cowboys and Aliens thread so I figured I would post this info here.

These should be more along the lines of Traditional Western movies.

Not sure what will make it to our tv or if any of them will be huge box office movies heavily promoted but here are a few that are in the works.

Empire of the Summer Moon
The story is about the great Comanche warrior Quanah, who held the westward expansion of settlers at bay for years, and led to the formation of the Texas Rangers to fight against them.
Project Timeline:
Dec. 14, 2010: Project announced. Director: Scott Cooper, Writer: Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana, Distributor: Warner Bros

The Color of Lightning
The story follows Britt Johnson, a freed slave who moves his wife and three children to Texas with dreams of starting a freight business. When he's away, a raiding party of Comanche and Kiowa kill his oldest son and take his family captive. Johnson spends a winter plotting revenge.
Project Timeline:
Dec. 14, 2010: Project announced. Director: Ridley Scott, Writer: Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana, Distributor: 20th Century Fox

HBO Plan To Make New Western TV Show!
HBO have announced that they have made plans to make a brand-new "western" TV show, which will stay in vain with their previous "western" drama, "Deadwood", which ended in 2007.
The new "western" type drama is being described as a Texas political drama, which is being penned by Larry McMurty and Diana Ossana.
Here's hoping it lasts longer than "Deadwood". That show was amazing. I really wish it never ended.

And lets also not forget

Hell on Wheels the new AMC series set to air in October.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_on_Wh ... _series%29
bdhold

Re: New Western Movies in the Pipe line

Post by bdhold »

Saw the Empire of the Summer Moon trailer - looks good.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks like those two writers will be way too busy for all that work!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

By all means read Empire of the Summer Moon! It is a fantastic book.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

kragluver wrote:By all means read Empire of the Summer Moon! It is a fantastic book.

I ordered it just the other day and plan to read it soon.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

marlinman93 wrote:Looks like those two writers will be way too busy for all that work!

Thing is.....Some....if not all are already books.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

It is about time some decent movies were produced. I am sick of what trash has been developed in recent times.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Texas Rangers were making war on the Comanche long before Quanah Parker was born. My GFrandfather was in the group of Rangers that killed his Grandfather Iron Jacket in 1859. Rangers were waring against the Comanche from as early as the late 1820's. By the time Texas was a Republic in 1836 the game was afoot in full strength. Following the Civil War, during the punitive military occupation of Texas by the Federals, the few Rangers were more of a frontier police force. The Rangers ginned up in full strength after the Feds went home, but were a police force entirely. The Comanche had tucked their tails and those left straggled in to Ft. Sill to become tame injuns.

The Rangers had the Comanche on the run when the Civil War came along. Most of the men joined the Confederate Army to fight the Lincolnites. Some state troops continued to man some frontier outposts and make scouts again the Comanche. On the whole the Civil War gave the Comanche some breathing room and time to regroup.

After the Civil War, the attack on Adobe Walls lead to the Red River War which pitted the U.S. Cavalry against the Comanche. Quanah's bunch (Quahadi) were the last group brought in heel in the Palo Duro Canyon in 1874. Quanah was notable because his was the last bunch to go to Ft. Sill. He became well known after he was on the reservation in Oklahoma. He make a bunch of money and proved to be a great statesman and representative of the Indian people. He was a thoroughly admirable guy who made a big contribution to his people during their reservation days. He was held in great respect by white and red men alike. I always thought that was because his mother was white, but what do I know. He died around 1911 if I recall correctly.

The Comanche were a hell of a bunch of fighters, but their time just ran out. Like all other Indians the Comanche found the white man just too strong, determined and numerous to beat. The Arizona Apache were the last to fold. There is took Apache scouts to do the job. Tough bunch of monkeys, that lot.

The Comanche were a true warrior culture. Your standing in the tribe depended entirely on your ability as a warrior. After you became too old to fight, you were relegated to the status of a woman with no respect. Other Indian cultures held their old warriors in great respect and they became teachers, wise men and sages, but not the Comanche. It is for this reason not many Comanche men survived to old age, they wanted to die in battle and avoid the shame of being treated badly in old age. They were hell for mean!

McMurtry writes western fantasy, which is entertaining enough, but make anybody with a sense of history sick at their stomachs. Quanah Parker neither held the western expansion up for years, nor causes the formation of the Texas Rangers...pure McMurtry crapola. No way will I spend money or time to watch that. At least you know Cowboys and Aliens is fantasy and don't expect anything else. So many folks lap up McMurtry's junk, thinking it is western history.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Charles wrote:The Texas Rangers were making war on the Comanche long before Quanah Parker was born. My GFrandfather was in the group of Rangers that killed his Grandfather Iron Jacket in 1859. Rangers were waring against the Comanche from as early as the late 1820's. By the time Texas was a Republic in 1836 the game was afoot in full strength. Following the Civil War, during the punitive military occupation of Texas by the Federals, the few Rangers were more of a frontier police force. The Rangers ginned up in full strength after the Feds went home, but were a police force entirely. The Comanche had tucked their tails and those left straggled in to Ft. Sill to become tame injuns.

The Rangers had the Comanche on the run when the Civil War came along. Most of the men joined the Confederate Army to fight the Lincolnites. Some state troops continued to man some frontier outposts and make scouts again the Comanche. On the whole the Civil War gave the Comanche some breathing room and time to regroup.

After the Civil War, the attack on Adobe Walls lead to the Red River War which pitted the U.S. Cavalry against the Comanche. Quanah's bunch (Quahadi) were the last group brought in heel in the Palo Duro Canyon in 1874. Quanah was notable because his was the last bunch to go to Ft. Sill. He became well known after he was on the reservation in Oklahoma. He make a bunch of money and proved to be a great statesman and representative of the Indian people. He was a thoroughly admirable guy who made a big contribution to his people during their reservation days. He was held in great respect by white and red men alike. I always thought that was because his mother was white, but what do I know. He died around 1911 if I recall correctly.

The Comanche were a hell of a bunch of fighters, but their time just ran out. Like all other Indians the Comanche found the white man just too strong, determined and numerous to beat. The Arizona Apache were the last to fold. There is took Apache scouts to do the job. Tough bunch of monkeys, that lot.

The Comanche were a true warrior culture. Your standing in the tribe depended entirely on your ability as a warrior. After you became too old to fight, you were relegated to the status of a woman with no respect. Other Indian cultures held their old warriors in great respect and they became teachers, wise men and sages, but not the Comanche. It is for this reason not many Comanche men survived to old age, they wanted to die in battle and avoid the shame of being treated badly in old age. They were hell for mean!

McMurtry writes western fantasy, which is entertaining enough, but make anybody with a sense of history sick at their stomachs. Quanah Parker neither held the western expansion up for years, nor causes the formation of the Texas Rangers...pure McMurtry crapola. No way will I spend money or time to watch that. At least you know Cowboys and Aliens is fantasy and don't expect anything else. So many folks lap up McMurtry's junk, thinking it is western history.

I understand what you are saying completely but is every movie that is not 100% true and accurate supposed to put out a disclaimer saying that this is not real history?

He writes novels for entertainment purposes. I prefer westerns to be factual as much as they can when depicting true events or real people but I can still sit back and enjoy a good western for what it is.......entertainment.

Hollyweird has always fudged the facts in most movies. Heck.....the westerns of old were very far from how things really were but they are good entertainment to me and I enjoy them.

The movies lately are doing better with the guns and dress of the era.....I like that a bunch.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

There have been very very few Western movies that have paid much attention to history, that is for sure and for certain. I enjoy a good Western as well as the next fellow as long as it's doesn't attempt to deal with historical event or people. If they stick to true fiction I am OK with that.

But, I am not OK with movies that take historical events and people and distort them for purposes of financial gain. I don't like that allot. That is why McMurtry makes me queasy. Real people deserve to have their stories told with accuracy and dignity and not have their lives twisted for entrainment purposes and profit. I am just funny that way.

Please feel free to dismiss my wierd thinking if you like.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've had enough of McMurtry's work. Not that I have anything against him he just makes me tired watching his stuff. It just seems to go on and on.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Charles wrote:There have been very very few Western movies that have paid much attention to history, that is for sure and for certain. I enjoy a good Western as well as the next fellow as long as it's doesn't attempt to deal with historical event or people. If they stick to true fiction I am OK with that.

But, I am not OK with movies that take historical events and people and distort them for purposes of financial gain. I don't like that allot. That is why McMurtry makes me queasy. Real people deserve to have their stories told with accuracy and dignity and not have their lives twisted for entrainment purposes and profit. I am just funny that way.

Please feel free to dismiss my wierd thinking if you like.

I dont dismiss your way of thinking and dont even find it weird. I love history so I would love them to get it right also. Most of the time they dont. That is why I do my own research and find out real history. I know a lot of the movie goers dont do that though.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I ordered "Empire of the Summer Moon" today.

I can recommend another book on Quanah Parker, it's called "The Last Comanche Chief" by Bill Neeley.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I wish somebody would make movies out of some of James Carlos Blake's books. If you never heard of him, Google his name then go find a couple of his books quick. That fella writes a good Western
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I just wish someone would make a Rube Burrows movie :mrgreen:

His life has everything you need to make a good western.......born 1859 and grew up in a post Civil War Alabama, moved to Texas and became a cowboy and ranch owner, turned bad after the death of his wife and started robbing trains, went back to Alabama, helped a few people (robin hood like), got the blame for killing a post master, was subject of one of the largest man hunts in US history while running between Alabama, Mississippi and Florida, Died in a blazing shootout trying to get back his beloved Marlin LEVER gun. :mrgreen:

His family had a very sophisticated (for the times) network to keep him hid out in his home town.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The feats of Texas Ranger Captain John Coffee Hays (Devil Jack) against the Comanche are such that nobody would believe it was not fiction, but they are true. He later left Texas, became the Surveyor General of California and founded the town of Oakland. His life would make a great movie.
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

Yes it would. Somebody should write an updated biography on Hays.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

"Colonel Jack Hays" by James Kimmins Greer (1987, Texas A & M Press) is the latest Hays bio I know of.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »