On topic ... How bout some walnut???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

On topic ... How bout some walnut???

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

This single tree came into the shop today. American Black Walnut and about as big as they come.
My boss likes to play with wood!! :shock:

The one single big log has 1225 board feet in it. :D
The branches are larger than most trees people want sawed for gunstocks.

Anybody need any wood? PM me and I will put you in contact with the boss. :wink:
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

That is a "HUNK" of wood!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It is going to be fun to watch it being sawed.
I can stop the sawyer and make an offer on the next slab off if it looks extra good. I have gotten a bunch of nice wood that way.
Have to take into account that you have to wait 4-5 years for it to cure though. :wink:
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Looks as if the tree started dying before it was cut. You can see some bark falling off with the wood starting to dry. Maybe only have to wait 4 1/2 years instead of 5 :D
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Wood

Post by HEAD0001 »

Who got the stump??? Tom.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

PM sent.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It is locaded in a spot where the stump can`t be saved. (They had to use a crain to remove the tree in sections). so said my boss. :cry:
The very best figgure is in the stump as you know.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Griff. It takes a year per inch of thickness and longer is better. :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

What do you think it's worth? $50-60,000?

I heard of a couple who has some rural land in Indiana, they planted black walnut trees all over it when they were first married.

At the time they figured $10,000 per tree, that was 25 years ago.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow, that is one large hunk of wood! Can you imagine all the fine stocks that would make?!? Any other use - though nice - just doesn't measure up!!!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I think I'd like a piece from deep inside where all them branches come together. :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

PM sent.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Great looking chunks of wood! If it takes 1y per inch, our grandkids might have a shot at it...

Does black walnut grow in Tennessee? I'm thinking of moving to Tenn., and it might make a nice present to my kids if I plant a bunch of Walnut for them to inherit!

- Tristan
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Unfortunately the tree is worth a lot more in veneer than it is for stocks

Mike Hunter
www.hunterrestorations.com
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Tristan wrote:Great looking chunks of wood! If it takes 1y per inch, our grandkids might have a shot at it...

Does black walnut grow in Tennessee? I'm thinking of moving to Tenn., and it might make a nice present to my kids if I plant a bunch of Walnut for them to inherit!

- Tristan
It grows real well here, but I've never seen any even close to that size. I didn't know walnut would get that big!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Yeah walnut trees are a pain plan on buying a lot of mower blades had about 25 walnut trees on my property you never get all the walnuts picked up or don't mow under them :twisted:
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Walnut

Post by HEAD0001 »

The bottom fell out of the Walnut market a few years back. Cherry logs went way up, and Walnut went down. Walnut has been making a come back over the past year or so. But it is no where near it's high's.

They left the most valuable piece of wood in the forest. Walnut is Bi-Symmetrical in growth. That means that one side tends to mimick the other side. That is one of the reasons Walnut used to be used so much in fine furniture. The stump would be worth a lot more than all the boards they will cut from those logs.

Most saw mills will not even buy Walnut, because most of the Walnut comes from old fence rows. The old timer's planted Black Walnut(Juglans Nigra) along their fenceline to kill weeds. As most of you know Juglans means poison in Latin. Walnut puts out a poison through it's roots that kills neighboring foliage. that is why you will never see a Walnut tree by a garden.

The sawmills do not want the Walnut logs because too many of them have old wire in them. By the looks of that tree I would say it was originally grown in or near a field, and not in the forest. The reason for that is because of the short butt log. If you guy's think about it. A Walnut tree grown in the woods grows tall and straight. Where a Walnut grown in or near a fence grows large in diameter, short in stature, and spreads out significantly.

That butt log may have some Veneer value. But you would probably be lucky to get a couple of thousand dollars if you owned those logs and wanted to sell them. The sawyer will make more money, but he has to take the chance of wire being in the logs. Tom.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

SOMEBODY ought to count the rings on that tree - one that big around here would have been firewood-sized during George Washington's day!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

HEAD0001 is right on. This tree grew in the country side near Vancouver WA. but the town grew around it and it became a hazard. We have a big wind storm here about every 5-10 years and the insurance people won`t alow a hazard to stay for long.
The stump is in a location where it cant be saved (I am told).

The log James in triming in the pic. is 57" in dia. 11' long .

A couple years ago, we cut a Walnut log almost this big. The trunk log was 16' long and the saw hit 36 16 penny nails in one pass on that log. :shock:
I got it for free and cut it into stock blanks with my chain saw. Had some nice blanks in it.
Kids like to build tree houses in those big "squirrl ladders". I found a couple of .22 bullets in it also when I ran them through the planer. :wink:
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

Has any body seen an English walnut grafted to a black walnut? Has anyone had an english walnut tree cut up? The wife's Granddad did some grafting, the English walnut will grow what looks like 2 or 3 times the diameter of the black walnut. There are a few of these in the pecan orchard she inherited, my problem is I don,t know of a place that buys either kind of walnut nut in south central Oklahoma. He also planted some English walnut nuts, the one we pulled up, stump and all, was about 16" in diameter. They let the BIL pick up pecans before we got the place and he cut most of the English trees up. There are plenty of Wild trees down on the creek, when one washes out and falls in we drag it up and have it sawn into blanks. One that fell in the creek was a grafted tree, the wood w/ the graft line sure makes pretty lumber. I have only been able to get two maybe three fancy stocks out of one tree and that is if I get to stand there as it is sawn and tell them how I want it. Most of it is straight as a string, but those are the fast easy stocks to build. Abilene
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

PM sent
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Abilene , English will not grow well around here if not grafted to Black Walnut root stock. Almost all are grafted. My boss has some wood with the graft line. You can have a stock with a flame grain BW butt and an EW forearm. COOL looking wood! :wink:
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

I didn't think they would grow in south central Oklahoma either, but they did. Was messin' around the old cowlot and found an old stash of air dried walnut that came of of the place, mostly 1" stock. It was cut before we married, so it has been there at least 22 years. Abilene