Opinions on lever 22's?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Opinions on lever 22's?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm going bush crazy stuck in my lazy-boy for the weekend! So I might as well drive you guys crazy with multiple posts. I'm a firm believer that misery likes miserable company, lol.

What are your opinions of the new and old lever 22's. 20Cow's post on his 10-22 got me thinking that in my world the most fun gun is a 22 when all is said and done. 50 rounds of good ammo for $5, and a report that doesn't involve the local swat team. And when you get right down to it a hallway full of 22 lead is quite a deterent!

One real question, is the Marlin 39 the only takedown lever 22? I've grown to like the takedown function a lot since picking up a 92 TD.

Opinions on the 17 cal versions are sure welcome. The added cost is always a concern but lots of guys rave about the 17 HMR. Got a 32-20 so the 22 Mag version is of no interest.
Hobie

Re: Opinions on lever 22's?

Post by Hobie »

I can only speak for myself.

I BOUGHT a vintage marlin 39A Mountie. Always wanted one. Not disappointed and the full-length rifle is good, too. However, I also like the Winchester 9422, Browning BL22, the Henry is smooth, the Ruger 96s are actually pretty good in a sort of modern industrial semi-retro way. There's several more, Nobel, Mossberg, Remington Nylon and others. Aestheically they seem to lack something but they ARE .22s and they ARE leverguns so they can't be all bad... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've been tempted several times to get a .22 LR levergun other than my Ruger 96, but just can't find a reason to do so, unless I wanted one that just looked alot prettier (since my .22 LR levergun is a 'shooter' and not a 'safe queen' I really don't care at all how it looks - just how it carries/handles/shoots).

I have one Ruger 96 in .22 LR, and two in .22 Mag, one of which I re-barreled (took about 10 minutes - barrels attach like 10/22 ones) into .17 HMR.

Have a 96 in .44 Magnum, too... 8) 8)

I like the flush 10-shot (9 shot in .17 HMR and .22 Mag, and 4 shot in .44 Mag) rotary magazine, and can carry several if I want for fast reloading, or for that matter slip in a 50-shot extended one for the .22 LR (or a 20-shot extended one for the .17 HMR and .22 Mag). Mostly I just use the factory ones though.

I plan on installing an integrally-suppressed barrel in the .22 LR one, since it has become our "first gun a novice gets to shoot" gun (due to ease of handling, accuracy, and - it's a levergun...! :wink: ), and that way there's even less noise to deal with. Plus, it is often my 'walkabout' gun, and will get even more use if suppressed a bit. The barrel would also be swappable onto a 10/22 if I chose to do so, although I don't use my 10/22 near as much as my 96/22.

The one-piece stock makes cleaning it a breeze, if I've been out in the rain/brush/mud, too; taking forends of tubular-magazine guns off to get crud from under there is a pain, yet not doing so, and a few years later finding rust pits there is even more of a pain. :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Long long ago, far far away ....

I bought myself a Winchester 9422 for Christmas. I'd shot other folks Marlins, and 10-22s but didn't like them. The Marlins had those gawd awful fat forearms and pistol grip stocks and I just couldn't warm up to them.
The 10-22s were fun and all, but well I was into Winchester 94 center fires so the 9422 just tickled me right down the ground.
Since buying the 9422 I've fired other peoples lever 22s, even a Ruger 96 but I just can't get past how much I like the feel of the 9422.

The only auto loader .22 I like is the Marlin 60 and the only bolt 22 I like(d) was the long discontinued Remington 581 series. All full sized rifles.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I have a rather odd-ball limited production take-down 22 levergun my Taurus stainless steel model 62LAR. Really a very nice little gun. I always wonder why Taurus only produced them for about a year then stopped all long gun production. I don't think they had any difficulty selling any of them.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, I never had a .22 levergun until last year. Hey, I do accumulate .22 autoloaders. But while looking thru the used guns at one of my favorite shops (sometimes they are pricey, but they do have a hugh selection and will deal), I came across a Model 39 Centenial. I didn't know much about them, so I put it to the group, and found out the whens and where's of it.

Went back to the shop, and fortunately, no one else realized what it was and it was still there. Snapped it up in a heartbeat. So, with only one lever to comment on, I'd say that the Marlins are pretty good. Heck the Centenial looks great what with the straight stock and octagaonal barrel (two features I dearly love on leverguns). And as a plus, the darned thing shoots fantastic, though it is somewhat choosey about ammo, but most .22's are. Might as well post a photo.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ji,

When those little lever guns came out I was really interested. I never saw one here in Illienoise. Never had a chance to inspect one. If I had I'd probably bought it.

Maybe sometime I'll see one on the used rack.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

J Miller wrote:Ji,

When those little lever guns came out I was really interested. I never saw one here in Illienoise. Never had a chance to inspect one. If I had I'd probably bought it.

Maybe sometime I'll see one on the used rack.

Joe
Back then on Maui I did allot of plinking by the seashore while waiting for fish to bite. When I saw the stainless version show up on Gunbroker I snatched it up quick sight unseen. Glad I did. :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I've had 3 Marlin 39's. The first was a Mountie carbine and shot it far more than any gun I've ever had. The second was a 90th anniversary carbine with brass butt plate, forestock tip, and brass nameplate on right side of buttstock. Pricy now, 1000 or more NIB. Beautiful gun. The one I liked best--by hindsight--was a Marlin model 39 carbine. It had a lighter weight barrel and 3/4 length tubular magazine. May get another one of these. It had a thinner forestock than the Mountie--which I always like best. Made 1963-67.

I also had a Winchester model 94/22 and it was top notch. Might get another one but it'd be magnum.

I know for sure you can't go wrong with these guns.

I levered a Henry in a gun shop and seemed the slickest working action I've ever seen. I believe they've proven themselves.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Like the large looped Henry's the best!
But the Winchester and Marlin are pretty nice also.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I have had a couple of 9422s (still have one) and really like them. The 39s I have tried were not nearly as smooth to lever, although a 39 would be my second. I do like their full-size feel. The Henrys I have handled seems to operate smoothly, but I will never get used to a traditionally styled lever action with a receiver not made of steel. I just can't do it. Many folks like them, though.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I have two 9422 Winchester's, a .22lr and a .22mag, and they are great, but my favorite .22 is my Henry Large loop lever carbine. It is the slickest, smoothest lever I have ever handled and was only $239. I am not as snobish as some about it must be steel or it's not good enough for me. It works, I hit every squirrel or rabbit I aim at and that it what counts, and it is fun, I shoot it every day. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have adult ADD so only one 22 levergun is in the dungeon. A .22 calls out "semi-auto" so my choice is a Model 63 Winchester. Its a top quality semi with a forged receiver, and has the excellent trigger pull of a "normal gun"---you know, not the removable trigger group with 6,397 parts. Pumps are cool too, my choice over a levergun.

I may be weird, but working the long throw of a lever just to eject and chamber a flea sized cartridge is too much work. :D ---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Canuck Bob wrote:I'm going bush crazy stuck in my lazy-boy for the weekend! So I might as well drive you guys crazy with multiple posts. I'm a firm believer that misery likes miserable company, lol....

What are your opinions of the new and old lever 22's.

One real question, is the Marlin 39 the only takedown lever 22? I've grown to like the takedown function a lot since picking up a 92 TD.
You're moving in the right direction, Bob. A new rifle definitely will cure a little cabin fever!!!

Since you like the Winchester Model 64, I recommend the 9422 Legacy. The top 9422 Legacy is my personal favorite woods-walking .22 in the spring, summer and fall. In the winter I like the short Trapper at the bottom in the second picture.

I'm going to put the old style Winchester knurled takedown screw on the Legacy like I've installed in the top 9422 carbine:

The 9422s in both photos are .22LR /.22 mag pairs. The top two carbines are first and second year; the middle two are XTRs; and the bottom two are Trappers.

For really bad Cabin Fever, buy more rifles than you need!!! :D :D :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would definitely like to have a 9422M - first rifle I shot with a scope.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You buy some expensive .22 ammo - at least compared to me!

Was out on vacation all last week. Part of it we spend at my FIL's in rural OH. I took along four .22's; two long guns and two handguns. Spend a couple days shooting with Y2K, my daughter (his little sister), two of my nephews, and my niece. Went through two bricks (1,000 rounds), which cost less than $40. You just can't have that kind of fun with any other round!

I must admit, this time out, none of them were leverguns. But I have two levers in .22 - a Marlin 39A Mountie and Y2K's Henry. Both are just a ton of fun to shoot. I've give the edge to the Marlin, but wouldn't hesitate picking up a Henry any time.

Going to the .17 defeats the economics the .22 offers. In a bolt-action, set up for pure accuracy, I could see the argument. Just can't see it with a lever-action though.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

ive had winchesters, marlins & a ithica all in levers nothing bad bout
any of them, have a henry in 22 mag now its sweet , But sixgun
nailed it with his 63 win. i have one & its a real hoot to shoot &
the ultimate 10-22 ollogger
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Mod71Alaskan your gonna give me a resentment. Foirst an outstanding line of 64s now some fine 22's.

You mention a take down screw, the 9422 is a takedown? That is news and good news at that. I too like the the Marlins size, I approach what you Yanks call Bubba size, but they do seem a touch clunky. I'd be proud to own one but the one Winnie I tried was slicker. I'll track down a Henry as they are available and priced right here too.

I have to agree about the 17 caliber. In a dedicated varmint rig for longer rimfire scoped ranges and tiny groups it might be worth it but for fun and handling give me an iron sighted lever. I am scoping my old 10-22 to use up a Leupold 2.5X Ultralite I pulled off my 444 because it ruined the rifle's carry. It is a dandy scope but not very challenging compared to a good peep.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I love my .22 Henry.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I never have liked the 22 levers from Winchester , Ruger , Henry or anyone !

With one exception !

Marlin !

The 39A , 39M , 1894M and the 1891-1892-1897 rifles are all plenty good for me !

I am also however partial to the Winchester pumps ! 1890 , 1906 , 61 and 62A !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

6pt-sika wrote:I never have liked the 22 levers from Winchester , Ruger , Henry or anyone !

With one exception !

Marlin !

The 39A , 39M , 1894M and the 1891-1892-1897 rifles are all plenty good for me !

I am also however partial to the Winchester pumps ! 1890 , 1906 , 61 and 62A !
You are a Marlin man 6pt. Interested in expanding a bit. I am a tried and true 444 man as you know.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the Marlin 39/39a, Taurus, and Winchester 9422's are all single-screw take-down rifles.

At this remove, I can't remember if the Browning BL-22's I've had were ( I rarely/never take my rifles down for travel, etc) .

Although the older Mossberg (Palomino) might also be takedown, the Henry, Noble, & Remington Nylon's are not.
AFAIK, from a hands-on examination, the new Mossbergs are like the Henrys.

I would presume most of the others, with 2-piece stocks, could be shortened for travel via removing the tang screw/buttstock.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My .02

Marlin is the only FULL SIZE rifle currently available new. The rest are carbines.

If money was not the object and you wanted a modern Winchester, then the 9422 Legacy Classic is one fine looking rifle and probably the only Winchester rimfire lever I would want to own.

If you don't mind using Standard Velocity ammo only, then an old Marlin 1897 is pretty cool.

Just my .02
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, the Marlin 39/39a, Taurus, and Winchester 9422's are all single-screw take-down rifles.

At this remove, I can't remember if the Browning BL-22's I've had were ( I rarely/never take my rifles down for travel, etc) . ......

I travel the Canadian oilpatch as a salesman. I'm on Crown Land all the time and able to shoot as I please. Problem is firearm security and invisibility is very important. I currently have one of the little Stevens new model Favorites, M30, in TD and love it. Its little folding case fits my 32-20 TD perfectly with a box of shells and hides in a standard suitcase. The rifle is really for my daughters and not my long term carry 22.

Edit: Oh how I wish I could carry a nice little 22 pistol like many yanks can. An old Colt huntsman or a J frame S&W, better yet a 32-20 M&P. Those days are gone here forever and of course I would never break a rule.

Totting a rifle box or gun case in and out of the truck in places were rifles have real local value is a recipe for grief. Here a punk steals your rifle and shoots someone I go to jail maybe. Also I drive a TJ and in the summer use the soft top. Suitcase screams dirty underwear not rifle, lol.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

+1 henry's :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:I would presume most of the others, with 2-piece stocks, could be shortened for travel via removing the tang screw/buttstock.
I've seen ones that the owner either welded-up a spare tang screw or something, so that the tang-screw was finger-knurled and required no screwdriver.

The folding-stocks that fit the Ruger 10/22's can sometimes be modified to fit the 96 leverguns, too, depending on the brand of folder. Dunno if folding stocks are legal there, though... :roll:

It would be hard to beat a short-barrel Marlin 39a for what you're planning, though. Too bad they don't make any real 'carbine' length ones these days.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I really like my Win. Legacy. I'd like to have a Marlin 1897, but they a bit spendy. Don't care for the fat Marlin forends on most of the other models.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Canuck Bob wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, the Marlin 39/39a, Taurus, and Winchester 9422's are all single-screw take-down rifles.

At this remove, I can't remember if the Browning BL-22's I've had were ( I rarely/never take my rifles down for travel, etc) . ......

I travel the Canadian oilpatch as a salesman. I'm on Crown Land all the time and able to shoot as I please. Problem is firearm security and invisibility is very important. I currently have one of the little Stevens new model Favorites, M30, in TD and love it. Its little folding case fits my 32-20 TD perfectly with a box of shells and hides in a standard suitcase. The rifle is really for my daughters and not my long term carry 22.

Edit: Oh how I wish I could carry a nice little 22 pistol like many yanks can. An old Colt huntsman or a J frame S&W, better yet a 32-20 M&P. Those days are gone here forever and of course I would never break a rule.

Totting a rifle box or gun case in and out of the truck in places were rifles have real local value is a recipe for grief. Here a punk steals your rifle and shoots someone I go to jail maybe. Also I drive a TJ and in the summer use the soft top. Suitcase screams dirty underwear not rifle, lol.
Canuck Bob,
Perhaps a folding stock lever gun like this guy made would work for you.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/ ... 5730008532
I'm tempted myself, but only when I get somewhere I can actually carry a gun.

Joe
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had great success with marlin TDS's My son has a second year 9422 that I got from mod71alaska that he loves.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've had a Marlin Mountie and three Winchester 9422s I prefer the 9422 but if I was looking for a new and compact lever action .22 I'd go for the Henry Youth Carbine, short light and real smooth action.
My first real (not BB) lever action was the Erma which later became Henry.

BTW I got a saddle ring/take down screw off Joe Miller and put it on my Winchester, that makes taking it down real easy.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

game keeper,
Glad it's working out like you want it.

Here's a thought for those who think they need to take down a 9422 when you travel. That little dinky pin that holds the two halves of the bolt together can fall out and disappear right quick. Be careful not to misplace it.
Perhaps putting the bolt assembly and it's pin in a special bag kept with the broke down rifle would be the way to go.

If you need a source for little bags I know some one I can recommend.

Joe
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I like most any lever-22, here are a few picture is missing 2 marlin 39a

this taurus probably gets used the most, it has a very slick action, light and trim ,easy to carry, and holds plenty of 22 shorts :mrgreen: just wish I had bought a blued model when they were available
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

9422 trapper :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

The only 22 lever action I have is a BL-22 which I really do like.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here s a couple of mine.

Uberti 73 carbine and 66 sporter in 22lr
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

This has been an incredible thread. The 22 lever is alive and well for many good reasons.

I have decided to pick-up a 32 Special in a 1957 94 instead of a 22 right now. The rifle budget is done for now.

Based on this thread specifically I've decided that there are a number of top notch choices and when I'm flush it will be the rifle that decides the deal. I will stick to the takedowns though and any of them would make fine rifles. The Marlin 39 with a pistol grip leads the race. It is always noted as a big gun and that was the cincher for first look. It would be the little sister to my 444 and that tickles my fancy as well. I picture it set up with the same peep and balanced to the same the point for carry. Trusty old 10-22 for now though.

Thanks for your advice.

Edit: That 73 style is sweet, just noticed it, choices choices! Never wanted a 73 center fire due to pressure constraints but no denying thier place in history. I consider them the design that established the lines that make our traditional levers perfect.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Personally, realizing our preferences differ, I'm really sold on my Browning BL22 - light weight, balanced, and the short throw of the lever is great -

As can be seen, I mounted a Williams FPGR rear aperture sight - attached to the scope grooves - did require a taller front sight but, I like the white stripe blade anyway -

Shoots long rifle. longs, and shorts - hard to beat for quality also - made by Miroku in Japan - I've had mine more than 40 years and, it's as good as new.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

barbarossa wrote:Here s a couple of mine.

Uberti 73 carbine and 66 sporter in 22lr
I quit buying guns. Why did u have to post a pic of that 73 :?: :cry:
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

I like the Henry .22 lever guns.
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

I have owned both the Marlin 39A and the Mountie. Without question they are examples of best in class .22 lever actions. My personal needs for a .22 long rifle has evolved into precise shooting for small game, taking only head shots I use a Kimber 82C or a Ruger 77/22 for this type of small game hunting. But... I also need a light rifle that is handy and accurate with fast to use open sights that can handle and resolve field problems. This functionality can be varied and requires the firearm to be handy and powerful enough to dispatch a varmint with one shot and be capable of something more demanding. Several guns in my collection both rifle and handgun have been employed to serve this task. A favorite for this purpose is my Winchester 94/22M using Winchester 40gr. JHP's.

I should add that this heat and humidity is making me aware that I may need to evaluate additional (stainless) options.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I like 'em all, currently own a full size Marlin 39A, a 1953 vintage Mountie, and my current favorite a 1967 39A Carbine. No longer own it, but the 9422 I had was incredibly accurate, I would love to find a 9422 Trapper or Marlin TDS.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

woods-walker wrote:I should add that this heat and humidity is making me aware that I may need to evaluate additional (stainless) options.
I think a stainless levergun in .22 LR would be a really practical item. Of course with the low receiver-stresses a rimfire has, the much-complained-about aluminum receivers at least are a start. Still, stainless would be really nice, and certainly worth the minimal extra cost typical of stainless vs. blued guns.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I don't care for the Henry rifles. I currently have a Winchester and Marlin 22 lever guns, but the Browning BL22 is tough to beat. It's not my most accurate, a 9422 I own edges it out in that department, but it's amazingly slick working.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I am in agreement with a couple of you guys. While I like the lever-action 22s very much I see the 22--mag too--as a semi-auto cartridge--well.....at it's best. Yes that old model 63 Winchester is hard to beat and the price for a good used one helps to prove that. Had a 63 and did a trigger pull job on it. (told this before here) Went too far with the file--yes file rather than fine stone--and it would go full-auto with trigger all the way back and semi-auto with trigger most of the way back. That barrel would climb on full-auto even with the small 22 LR. Made it illegal unless I wanted to spend a bunch for special "license" so sold it soon after telling the buyer what he was getting.

Still, I may buy me a 9422 mag and a Marlin 39 carbine. Had this Marlin and appreciate it more now than I did then. Lighter weight than the Mountie or 39A rifle.

Don