A New K-Bar

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

A New K-Bar

Post by Blaine »

I have a couple Cutco kitchen knives and a CutCo hunting knife. They are very, very good knives. Here is a new one for them, a K-Bar......It might deserve a look. Heaven knows I don't need another knife, but I'm thinking about this one.

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.j ... Group=5725
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: A New K-Bar

Post by Dave »

That is a nice one. The KBar is a good pattern for a hard use knife. That price though.....ouch!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Dang nice looking knife there and I've always has a soft spot for em. So much so that I've been using one of the downsized Kabars as my deer hunting knife and camp knife for the last 7 or 8 years. Here is what I know about the design:

They are tough
They make a good chopper
They make a fair feild dressing knife with their specialty being busting open the pelvic bone.
But they make lousey slicers, butcher knifes and generally poor camp knifes.

If you want a chopper for heavy work go for it. But they ain't good at much else around camp or home.

This last winter I reprofiled the sides on mine so hopefully it will be a better all around camping and hunting knife. It went with me to the Boundry Waters last month but never left the pack.

Didn't see the price, how much was it?

LK
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine buy it! -- it is made in the good old U-S-of-A. Soon to be a collector's item....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The Ka-Bar wasn't designed to assist in the skillful preparation of dinner salads, it was made to probe the inards of enemy soldiers. Maybe this new knife won't slice a ripe tomato paper thin, but then again, maybe it will. Cutco makes some really sharp knives.

My old Ka-Bar works wonders on hogs. Killing, gutting, skinning, quartering. I supplement the effort with a couple of smaller short bladed things and a whet-stone, but the Ka-Bar has always worked when I need it to work.

I want one.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

For a very, very short period of time and a very long time ago I sold Cutco knives. I too have one of their hunting knives. They do make a very sharp knife, but I've never used mine for it's designed purpose. I've never cared for serrations on a blade. Prefer a good ole fashioned flat or convex grind.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

kimwcook wrote:For a very, very short period of time and a very long time ago I sold Cutco knives. I too have one of their hunting knives. They do make a very sharp knife, but I've never used mine for it's designed purpose. I've never cared for serrations on a blade. Prefer a good ole fashioned flat or convex grind.
They offer plain blades, now. My kitchen 9", and 4" are plain edge, and the hunting is plain..you have a choice. The K-Bar is mostly plain, with the last couple inches serrated.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I think thats just a production kbar with cutco on the blade instead of usmc.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Timothy wrote:I think thats just a production kbar with cutco on the blade instead of usmc.
No..they are made at the Cutco plant in Olean, NY. I can tell you that Cutco, while spendy, is a great blade, if not a great handle on some of them. They put me in mind of the Gerbers of 40 years ago when they were still well made.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Blaine - didn't see any prices there. Interesting knives - saw a show one night about how they are made.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Cutco...Yes they are sharp, but the prices, :o , The steel is just OK,
and I can't say much for their selling tactics, can you say...pyramid scam?

There are a LOT of good knives that are priced fairly, I'd get one of those.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

It looks nice, its hard for me to get over the $200 dollar part though (for a Ka-bar that is, when a Ka-bar brand K-bar is 50 bucks or so, maybe 75)
----- Doug
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

gcs wrote:Cutco...Yes they are sharp, but the prices, :o , The steel is just OK, and I can't say much for their selling tactics....There are a LOT of good knives that are priced fairly, I'd get one of those.
+1

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I sure like my K-Bar made Ka-Bar. Don't think I'd want to and most likely would not spend more than the $50-$60 price one costs in my neck of the woods. Love the 1095 carbon steel Ka-Bars.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

We have a kitchen full of Cutco knives and utensils. My wife and her entire family swear by the brand.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

$200 ain't gonna cut it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:$200 ain't gonna cut it.
Ha ha, you punny.

:mrgreen:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Ray Newman wrote:Blaine buy it! -- it is made in the good old U-S-of-A. Soon to be a collector's item....
LOL , When Camillus Cutlery went belly up , I did make a point of buying a couple of their Pilots knifes , for just that reason ,as well as it was sad to see them go under. Buildings still there empty, I drive them several times a month.

Nephew did the selling cutco scheme for a short time , we have a few kitchen knifes and I got a folding Trapper is what they called it then but seem to have stopped making that model. My parents got a set of cutco knives as a wedding present , would have been their 58th aniv. on independance day this year. Wood handled and still going strong ( except that chef's knife some foolish kid thought may be a good throwing knife :roll: )
Any one know if they can sharpen the double D serated blades at home ( sales pitch included of course ) but they have a stand at the state fair every year and I'd rather suffer thru a sales pitch and get the knifes sharpened than pay the postage to and from to the factory.
Phil
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I like your choice. KaBar steel is quite good.

I have my eye on Black Jack model 125. Many interesting youtube vids on this knife.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've been happy with Kabar steel too but if you aren't they do use some other steels. Here is one with D2:
https://www.kabar.com/product/productDe ... y/Tactical

List around $165 might be able to get it cheaper thru a dealer.

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Blaine its a Ka-Bar that is all that needs to be said. Buy it!! I have 3 Ka-Bars and would never be with out one.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a couple K-Bars disappear ( :evil: ) when I lived in the barracks. Never replaced them. I do have these two razor sharp, hell for stout, Cold Steel Tanto knives. The top one is the carbon steel model, and the bottom, that I got off a fellow forumite, is the Japanese-made sandwiched steel kind. To be clear, I've never used these for their intended purposes, but I buy into the theory that the curve to the blade increases the actual speed of the cut.

A good "working" blade is not, perhaps, like a good hunting knife. I broke two Buck knives back in the late 1970 - early 80s. One I just dropped on pavement and an inch of the tip broke off. Another broke off in the pelvis of a large whitetail :roll: Needless to say, no more Bucks for me. Being sharp and holding an edge are really nice qualities, but if they do not have ballz built in them, they are useless. K Bar, and Cold Steel have ballz.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV