Recommended Ammo For Rossi 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dawg
Levergunner

Recommended Ammo For Rossi 92

Post by Dawg »

Any advice for brands or bullet types that are best suited to use in the Rossi model 92 .357 lever guns?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Recommended Ammo For Rossi 92

Post by Griff »

Dawg wrote:Any advice for brands or bullet types that are best suited to use in the Rossi model 92 .357 lever guns?
What are you wanting to use it for? Your question is just a tad too open-ended.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE NOTED AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH THAT ALL MY 357MAG CARBINES AND RIFLES SHOOT THEIR ABSOLUTE BEST WITH 357MAGNUM AMMUNITION. I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I've used RN, RFFP, SWC and they all feed great in mine.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i use pmc, federal, and american eagle. they work great. So far, any other brands that i have tried tends not to extract about every other rd. it is an extractor issue i haven't resolved yet. It pulls them out about half ways and then lets them go before full extraction. remington umc, hansen catridge, blazer, are the others i have tried. No hollow points either!
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Terry Murbach wrote:I HAVE NOTED AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH THAT ALL MY 357MAG CARBINES AND RIFLES SHOOT THEIR ABSOLUTE BEST WITH 357MAGNUM AMMUNITION. I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT....
Awww, now Terry, my two .38/.357 carbines do exceedingly well with .38Spl ammo also. :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Terry - that is what they are chambered for and my Marlin does very well with the white box Winchester stuff - 158.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Terry Murbach wrote:I HAVE NOTED AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH THAT ALL MY 357MAG CARBINES AND RIFLES SHOOT THEIR ABSOLUTE BEST WITH 357MAGNUM AMMUNITION. I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT....
Somehow I knew you would reply with this answer. :lol: :D :lol: Just for the Record my lever 357 feeds everything from empty 38 Spl cases to Keith type SWC's #leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The only ammo I had a problem with was some hand loads a friend gave me, the bullets were all shoved inside the case by the magazine spring.
Like Old Savage I mainly used 158 Winchester White Box.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have used Sellier & Belliot 158 grain JSP with good reliability and accuracy; got a good deal on a bunch of them a few years ago from CheaperThanDirt.com or some place like that. Nothing has NOT fed well, although mostly the JSP and SWC style is what I prefer. Lead RN and FMJ are both on sale sometimes and I'll get them for 'newbie' loads for the steel targets. Even with the minimal recoil of a .357, I don't put more than one in the magazine at a time, due to the bullet/primer contact.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Haven't found a thing mine wont run. If you're tempted to plink with .38 Special ammo due to cost, just bear in mind that it will leave a ring of fouling near where the end of the case is in the chamber, and then if you later try to shoot .357 ammo you'll run into difficult extraction because the longer .357 brass will grab that fouling and hold on to it. If you clean out your chamber real good between shooting .38 and .357 ammo you'll likely have no difficulty with it, but I'm told that eventually .38 ammo will leave some permanent erosion in the chamber than can be problematic if you also want to shoot .357.

With that in mind I stick to .357 ammo in my .357 carbines.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I like the sjsp 158 grain ..........Mutt
Dawg
Levergunner

Post by Dawg »

Griff wrote:
Dawg wrote:Any advice for brands or bullet types that are best suited to use in the Rossi model 92 .357 lever guns?
What are you wanting to use it for? Your question is just a tad too open-ended.
For shooting.... :mrgreen: :D I was looking for what functions best, and most importantly with a keen eye towards safety. I dont want to experience a magazine chain fire.

I have been using Sellier & Bellot FMJ in both .38 and .357, and they both function extremely well. Some cartridge brands do not function so well. I seem to have feeding problems with shells that do not have a good roll crimp. The brands that use a straight uncrimped case, and unshouldered bullets dont work well at all. The S&B FMJ bullets have a nice flat point that is larger in diameter than the primers, and should not be able to set any off in the magazine. I like em because they are cheap, and accurate, and slick as snot cycling through the action.

I cannot help but wonder what Steve would recommend as a general purpose round.

I have slicked my gun up using Steves DVD and replaced the ejector spring and mag follower that Steve sells as well.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Dawg wrote: The S&B FMJ bullets have a nice flat point that is larger in diameter than the primers and should not be able to set any off in the magazine. I like em because they are cheap, accurate, and slick as snot cycling through the action.
Agreed! I love those things for plinking. They're pretty speedy as well and seem to hit with a nice smack. I've not chronoed them out of a carbine but I'm curious as heck to know how fast they're going so I need to get to that (unless someone beats me to it...).

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright