Canada Day, cancer, and a Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Canada Day, cancer, and a Winchester

Post by Canuck Bob »

I went out to shoot my 32-20 Winchester west of Rocky Moutain House, Alberta, tight to the Rockies east slope. It was a private celebration of Canada Day and cancer. I found an old clear cut and jumped the barrier ditch with my TJ after a little corrdiroy work. It turned out to be a perfect place to shoot my rifle and will be one of my Crown Land private ranges in the future.

I assembled my takedown 32-20 and loaded up some Rem 100 gr lead bullets factory rounds. A short ways down a nice bush road in a field of paintbrushes I kicked up a bull elk from his bed. He was a dandy big bull and I got the normal excellent view of his backside! I decided for fun to try and put a bead on him, once a hunter always a hunter. He bolted up slope but quickly moved cross slope like I figured to test my scent. I backtracked and then up slope quick, I could hear him. He then strolled off deciding I was no threat. I tracked him but he was right, I never put a bead on him!

Then two CF-18s screamed overhead at a 1000 feet just below supersonic. Probably two of Canadas finest playing on thier way to a Canada Day air show. It was my private Patriotic Air Show! A classic hunter killer fighter team formation, no loops or swirls just deadly intent for our enemies. I am sure anybody would have a very bad day if those pilots took special interest in them! As totally saapy as it seems I stood at attention and saluted them even if they were Air Force.

I was also celebrating cancer, multiple myeloma, we used to call it bone marrow cancer. It was destroying my marrow, blood, and skeleton before it was found. Chemo is a grizzly bear of a medical beast to hunt and kill cancer with fatigue that is about the 450 Marlin of tired. A marrow transplant is ahead soon. A challenge for a strong man. It was time to go out in the bush and shoot a lever action rifle and test my backbone. I tracked that bull alone with a cane and a rifle in grizzly country. He wasn't in a rush because I was no slope climbing terror to him. The deer sign was thick and fresh.

I ended up slaughtering a bunch of deadly stump knots. After loading up ten in the tube I proved once more, even though a bit shakier than normal, that I can get the job done from the center of a 300 meter circle. I thanked my higher power for the best country on the planet, my opinion of course, and a loving wife, and two chinese angel daughters. I went out there sick and tired. I drove home a strong thankful hunter and a dangerous rifleman.

So if you got dealt a bad hand right now grab a lever, box of shells, go out somewhere a little wild, and breath some fresh air. I'm planning to work on my ambush skills. Next week I'm taking out a target picture of a Myeloma cell and gonna shot it full of holes with a 444. Now that is therapy.
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Canada Day, cancer, and a Winchester

Post by pokey »

go get 'em tiger. :wink:
i like your attitude. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That has to be one of my favorite post I have read on this forum. Blessings to you
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Dang Pard, you're right on all counts. You couldn't be more blessed....said an intercessory prayer for you & will continue to do so. Keep the faith....well done on your outing. Just keep doing it & enjoying the blessings.

LB
Sheepman Dave
Levergunner

Post by Sheepman Dave »

You are in our prayers.

You motivated me to go out and chalk a big letter C on a tree stump and shoot the hell out of it.

Fair winds and following seas
The more corrupt a society, the more numerous its laws.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

One POWERFUL post, Bob. Heck with the flyboys, I'm salutin' you.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bob, my brother in law was just told he has the same type of cancer. Pre insurance cost of the chemo is about 80K. My B?IL is just thinking about the treatment, not sure he wants to go through with it. He's 76 so I guess it's his right to refuse.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very inspiring post, I really admire your positive attitude.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Kick that cancer in the azz!!! There's been enough bad news already and the last thing we need is to lose another levergunner - deny "ugly c" another win, we are praying for you.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Rusty wrote:Bob, my brother in law was just told he has the same type of cancer. Pre insurance cost of the chemo is about 80K. My B?IL is just thinking about the treatment, not sure he wants to go through with it. He's 76 so I guess it's his right to refuse.
Wow, my prayers are with him. The day the big C diagnosis hit was real nasty. All I remembered was cancer and a powerful urge to pee. I'll PM you my email for him. I can recommend a great internet forum with the real advice about working the cost angle in the US. Somehow Americans can buy drugs in Canada because we put a subsidized cap on the upper cost and allow Yanks to buy, nice neighbors, EH! Even more important it is loaded with great info about treatment and options from the people getting it not prescribing it, This might help with an option that is cheaper. I'm burning up my income tax at a ferocious rate these days and we pay lots of tax here. However the medicine and doctors are free of charge, thank you God.

I was denied long and short term disability protection from Sun Life Insurance so the financial implications he faces are also mine. Your BIL must be facing a private decision regarding his family that equals the life and death stress of combat soldiers! In my case everyone went on and on that my health came first at all costs. Soldiers know better. I was advised to quit work. I offered to send my doctor my mortgage bill, he politely declined and jumped on board with some helpful strategies.

Be aware the end days for Myeloma are not pleasant. Also with treatment it is very manageable and the research is rocketing along. It is not curable yet but has a low incidence of spreading into other cancer forms. It is a pretty good chance that Myeloma will kill me before the taxman does. Treatment is about when and how nasty the end will be. I can't imagine he isn't weighing long term options he can't discuss with your sister and their kids.

People have two responses when the conversations moves toward death of the guy talking. They run like a rabbit or loved ones say it is not todays problem. The runners get a look like they are talking to a walking dead man which is a heck of a way to treat a walking dead man but I understand. My loved ones have heart wrenching fears and emotions that are very hard to face and need more time to mature. If your close maybe you could let him know you are willing to discuss anything in confidence.

Cancer has a nasty progression. It consumes your body then the treatment consumes your life and eventually it still kills you. Kinda like a bad marriage. Best therapy for him right now involves a real good joke, a Winchester, a tin can, a rabbit trail, and a day all about living not dying. Well at least not him dying. It might not be a great day for the rabbit. Now that there is funny, I don't care what you think!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

They say attitude is half the battle, so you definately have the right attitude to kick this on its butt. While sometimes our mecical system is given a hard time, it also has lots of positive results. My neice had a bone marrow transplant (she is in Edmonton) and has been cancer free for 6 years now and considered cured. Keep up the good battle and feel free to let us know how it is going or if you feel like venting.
Thought and prayers for you and your family, nobody ever said it was going to be easy.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks for posting this Bob, you can be an inspiration to us all, and certainly have some of us counting our blessings!!
Your attitude is wonderful!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
DennisE
Levergunner

Post by DennisE »

With a good heart and a noble mind whatever comes can be met head on...and a good rifle is of course a plus! Good luck, Dennis
Winchester 94 Trails End Octagonal 44 magnum, Marlin 1895 45-70 Guide Gun
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Canuck Bob,
My prayers are up for you. A year ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. After going thru six months of chemo, and many tests during and after the treatment, I just found out 2 days ago that my last tests show that I am cancer free! Praise the Lord!
I love your attitude! You are a special man and my prayers are with you. Always keep your eyes on Him, and he will guide you!
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Isaiah 40-30-31
He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
God Bless you, prayers for you and yours.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Canuck Bob wrote:People have two responses when the conversations moves toward death of the guy talking. They run like a rabbit or loved ones say it is not todays problem. The runners get a look like they are talking to a walking dead man which is a heck of a way to treat a walking dead man but I understand. My loved ones have heart wrenching fears and emotions that are very hard to face and need more time to mature. If your close maybe you could let him know you are willing to discuss anything in confidence.
THAT is a paragraph everyone should read! I try to explain that to families of patients, who are 'afraid to upset' the patient (as if they don't mention it, and he'll just somehow forget he has cancer, and/or not be ALREADY upset about it :roll: ). Treating him like a zombie isn't exacly therapeutic - the time together should be all the more intense and non-superficial, since at that point God has put up a warning sign that there may be a limited time of it.

Canuck Bob wrote:Cancer has a nasty progression. It consumes your body then the treatment consumes your life and eventually it still kills you. Kinda like a bad marriage. Best therapy for him right now involves a real good joke, a Winchester, a tin can, a rabbit trail, and a day all about living not dying. Well at least not him dying. It might not be a great day for the rabbit. Now that there is funny, I don't care what you think!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Best therapy for him right now involves a real good joke, a Winchester, a tin can, a rabbit trail, and a day all about living not dying. Well at least not him dying. It might not be a great day for the rabbit. Now that there is funny, I don't care what you think!
+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody here gets outta here alive, but you're going to enjoy your time
right to the end. All any of us can do. Best of luck to ya, Canuck!

-Stretch
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Good on 'ya, Bob. That's exactly what I do. Yesterday it was 400 rds out of M1s. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Thanks for a great post. I'm recently diagnosed with bladder cancer (had surgery in April) myself, and yeah buddy, the "BIG C" has a way of changing the nature of a chat with the doc into a blurry, life-altering event..... I'm kinda POed about having to schedule my life around appointments, and potentially serial surgeries, having my financial picture devastated, etc, but it is what it is. All I DO know is today I feel good, and I'm gonna go fishing. Next weekend I will be shooting CAS, and whatever the doc has in store after my next cystoscopy (end of the month), will be what it is...

I wish I knew how to talk to family about it better, but I don't, and they have to do what they have to do. If that means ignoring it, ok, if it means dealing with me like I'm walking dead, I can't help that either. Best I can do is keep living while I'm alive.

Good luck in your fight.

AJ
Certified gun nut
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Canuck Bob, hang in there its bound to get better and a little bit of prayer wouldn't hurt. The VA said I am good to go with my prostrate cancer, now I have to go next week for some funny lumps under my arm.
Are prayers will be with you I wish I could do more.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

When I wrote this I wasn't sure how it would be received. Thanks.

Going to slug a few rifles this weekend and set up to load some 444 and 303. Got a new Jungle Carbine and some once fired brass to load up for case forming. Tracked down some 230 grain plated bullets from South Africa to try out.

I got some original issue 265 Hornady from many years ago. I'll load them up and sight in my 444.

I set the tent up in the backyard, along with a heater, and the girls and I are camping. Barb is staying in her pillow top bed, she is the sensible one after all.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Canuck Bob wrote: People have two responses when the conversations moves toward death of the guy talking. They run like a rabbit or loved ones say it is not todays problem. The runners get a look like they are talking to a walking dead man which is a heck of a way to treat a walking dead man but I understand. My loved ones have heart wrenching fears and emotions that are very hard to face and need more time to mature. If your close maybe you could let him know you are willing to discuss anything in confidence.
If we're supposed to do one good deed per day, that paragraph is a week's worth of good deeds my friend. Mom fought ovarian cancer for 10 years before it took her a little over 4 years ago. I've never been comfortable discussing "feelings" so it never occurred to me to ask her what was running through her mind about what the rest of us were thinking/feeling. Her attitude was much like yours: no point in lying down and waiting. If it's going to take me, I'm going to make it WORK for it. And Lord, did she make it work to get her. Sounds like you're going to make it work too... :wink:

I get the feeling I'd better get serious about quitting smoking quick, fast and in a hurry....
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Oh, almost forgot:

:mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like you got your mind wrapped right. Praying for the best.
Old Law Dawg
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks for the pic AWP. If I was a modern fighter pilot the A-10 Warthog would be my choice. That is one mean gatling gun with wings! Close ground support would appeal to me too. I'd love to spark that thing up just once.

I own and fly a wooden ultralight. The Bowers Flybaby with a 65 HP Continental. It is a ton of fun and if I crank up my imagination real hard it is a Hawker Typhoon tearing a SS Panzer Tiger to pieces.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I can't say anything but awesome. Just awesome.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Man...what a timely post. My father told me a week ago that he wasn't feeling well and asked if I'd take him to the doctor, which of course I gladly did since my folks were pretty much Ward and June Cleever - I'm of that generation that had the best childhood in the history of the World (IMHO). The next day he was in the hospital with renal failure and today, after several live saving surgeries and multiple procedures, we understand that he has advanced and inoperable bladder cancer. I've spent every of the last nine days in the hospital and working on getting him set up in an assisted living/hospice facility while taking over his affairs and trying to get everything squared away. To be blunt, it's been a real ¢rap sandwich and we've all had more than a bite, especially my Dad.

Every evening, and sometimes during a break in the day, I've stopped in here for a bit just to recharge batteries and get my head screwed back on straight. I dunno, just something about the campfire talk of men who shoot straight and ride right that calms my nerves...

At any rate, your post takes the cake. Thanks pard, and my very best to you and yours in the fight.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

A very inspiring post, I hope your doctor is just as a determined and good hunter as you! I'll keep you in a prayer. I do have some reservation and hesitation about the best country. :D Though lets call an ace an ace and say beautiful spots are rare and great places to be and can recharge the soul.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Oly my heart goes out to your Dad. Your right it is just plain cr@ppy to get cancer or have a loved one get it. Sorry you got such short notice. Your Dad sounds like a great guy. Haven't thought of the Cleavers in decades!

My prayers for you and yours through all the grief.