38-40 in 92 winchester..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

38-40 in 92 winchester..

Post by morgan in nm »

Its been a while since I posted last (been dang busy with school teaching.) I have been occasionally visiting still but not much to say.
Yesterday, my dad came home with a fairly decent 92 Winchester rifle in 38wcf and I was going to reload for him. I was reading an article in one of my older levergun magazines talking about the lyman 401063(I think thats what it is) and the author suggests not using it in the rifle as there is no where to crimp the bullet where it will not get pushed in the case. I was going through my molds and I have one of those. Is there any truth to this? Also, would it be worth it to load the HV load @1700fps or continue loading the same as factory. The rifling is very shallow with very minor pits but it doesn't look incredibly worn. I test fired it with some older super-x ammo and was shocked how accurate it is. I was curious how the accuracy would be affected if the loads were hotter and if it is even worth it.

As soon as I get a camera I will try to post some pics of it and a few of my newest toys including a chance encounter with a Colt SAA 2nd gen in 44special.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: 38-40 in 92 winchester..

Post by Terry Murbach »

YES !!! THERE IS THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH IN THAT STATEMENT. THAT BULLET CANNOT BE USED UNLESS IT IS SITTING OPON A FULL CHARGE OF BLACK POWDER TO KEEP IT FROM TELESCOPING INTO THE CASE.
THERE ARE NOW PLENTY OF CAST BULLET DESIGNS FOR THE 38-40 THAT INCLUDE A CRIMP GROOVE IN THE CORRECT PLACE. USE THESE INSTEAD WITH SMOKELESS PROPELLENTS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I agree wholeheartedly with Terry.
Old Law Dawg
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I load my 38WCF with a bullet that doesn't have a crimp groove and I have no problems at all. The lead is soft enough to allow the brass to be crimped into it.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello Morgan,

Can you please read this and if you want contact me with information on your 1892. I would love to add it to my work.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ey#p343093

Thanks
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations