Got cleaned out

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Got cleaned out

Post by samb »

Came home after midnight, found house broken into, and most of my "Irons" gone. Please say a prayer they are not used to injure an innocent. They took the safe.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got cleaned out

Post by stretch »

Samb - that's awful. I hope they catch the miscreants.

Safe bolted down? No criticism implied here, just curious as to what
I might do to avoid the same fate, as my guns are in a safe, too.

I feel for ya and hope you recover your property.

-Stretch
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear that, Samb. the thieves around here for the last few years have gotten to stealing the whole safe too. Then they can open it at their leisure. You wouldn't believe how big a safe they've taken. Of course they don't care how they handle it. Just get it in the pickup and take off. Again, sorry to hear you got hit.
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:( sorry to hear that, prayers sent. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

I'm sorry, that stinks!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That SUCKS!

I hope they hang!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Best of luck to you on sorting this out.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:evil: (explitive deleted)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Took the safe? How'n hail did they get away with an 800 lb piece of steel? :o
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Truely sux. Hope they get caught.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[How'n hail did they get away with an 800 lb piece of steel?]

Well, it's not like they went in cold, hoping & equipped to find a safe. :roll:

Since they most likely HAD to have with them ( and used ) an appliance/refrigerator handtruck (built to handle the weight/bulk) - I would think they had prior knowledge or strong suspicion that guns were on the premesis, and in a safe.

You'd be surprised, at the clues some otherwise astute gunnies leave around us, like bumper/window stickers, gun magazines & flyers in the trash, etc, etc.

Watch yer Six.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I hope they catch the scum and you get back your stuff.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Very sorry to hear that, hopefully they will get caught!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

So sorry to hear that someone has violated the sanctity of your home and compounded that by stealing your firearms. You must be furious. Here's to hoping that they are caught and that what was stolen from you will be returned. All the best to you samb.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

That is enough to make your blood boil. I hope you had a record of serial #s etc. I truly hope they find these pieces of c###p and deal with them to the maximum. Best of luck in getting this sorted out with your insurance etc.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A friend was moving out of his house and hadn't moved his safe yet, but had removed the guns. He'd filled the safe with books off a bookshelf, that were too heavy for a cardboard box, figuring that once he got a huge hand-truck and some help, he'd move the safe and books together.

Thieves got the safe out of the house but the burglary was interrupted. Too bad they didn't get it all the way home, only to find they'd just stolen a bunch of old books.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:A friend was moving out of his house and hadn't moved his safe yet, but had removed the guns. He'd filled the safe with books off a bookshelf, that were too heavy for a cardboard box, figuring that once he got a huge hand-truck and some help, he'd move the safe and books together.

Thieves got the safe out of the house but the burglary was interrupted. Too bad they didn't get it all the way home, only to find they'd just stolen a bunch of old books.
This is why Concealment is often "better" than Cover...

Security through Obscurity.

A Cheap "Stack On" not so-Gun Safe with a couple of non-firing junker throw-away's is a GREAT distraction to the time-sensitive house breaker.

If you can't afford a hidden safe room, Keep your good guns in a locked upright freezer or GI Wall Locker plastered with sports photos/centerfolds or hide them in the stud space in a closet. Let the fish excrement (Bass Turds) steal your $10 Yard sale Damascus Double... if you put a GPS chip in the stock you might even be able to hunt them down... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

There is a good chance its someone who has been to your house already.
Many times a place will get re hit after several months cause they know of other stuff they want to take but didn't get it first time around.

Might not hurt to get a guard dog/and install some hidden time elapsed video cams(in/out)they have em with no noise/light at night but will do the job.(you can review the whole days events in about 3 mins.

If Canada is anything like the US, good luck getting your guns back even if they do catch the idiots and get them still with your guns?

Friend of mine has been waiting to get his guns back for 3 years because they are retained as whats called "evidence on file"
Only thing he has gotten was a small fraction of replacement cost from the NRA
Good Luck!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Might not hurt to get a guard dog/and install some hidden time elapsed video cams(in/out)they have em with no noise/light at night but will do the job.(you can review the whole days events in about 3 mins.
Best to have the cameras concealed and to send images off-site, too.

Having a little old lady who hates television (so she mostly 'watches' out the window) and doesn't drive (so basically never leaves the house) share your driveway kinda helps too, especially if she's the kind who the local cops treat like their own mom... :mrgreen:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Might not hurt to get a guard dog/and install some hidden time elapsed video cams(in/out)they have em with no noise/light at night but will do the job.(you can review the whole days events in about 3 mins.
Best to have the cameras concealed and to send images off-site, too.

Having a little old lady who hates television (so she mostly 'watches' out the window) and doesn't drive (so basically never leaves the house) share your driveway kinda helps too, especially if she's the kind who the local cops treat like their own mom... :mrgreen:
The Soviets used those zampolit babuskas quite a bit to send people to Siberia...

Snoopy Government Enforcer types don't give me a warm fuzzy at all...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very sorry to hear. :evil:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sorry to hear of your loss. Thieves are the lowest scum there is.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sorry to here of your misfortune sir. Many forums have places where you can post serial numbers and descriptions of stolen firearms. I've heard of more than a few being recovered as a result. I don't think we have such a place here, but a sticky might be a good idea. Think about it. We have folks from all over on the forum, and, the theives will likely have to sell the firearms. You might get lucky.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:The Soviets used those zampolit babuskas quite a bit to send people to Siberia...Snoopy Government Enforcer types don't give me a warm fuzzy at all...
In general I feel the same way, but in this case the lady is more friend/family, and that makes her 'snooping' very welcome. One time my vehicle had to be dropped off for service and a friend gave me a ride home; before I got into the house she was calling me on my cell phone to tell me there was a strange vehicle in my driveway, and she already had made note of the license number. 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's awful. Been the victim of gun theft twice. Unknown perpetrators on the first occurence, took my own vengence on the thief the second time around. A most disharmonious outcome... thief was a family member, and the balance of the family didn't care for my solution... Hey! The thief avoided jail time, got county sponsored treatment for their drug affliction, and has been a good law-abiding citizen since... they still all hate my guts. I can live with that.

Hopefully, such is not the case in your instance... far less stressful when it's a stranger you testify against! Prayers joined with yours that an innocent is not harmed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Pitchy, I put in a call to my Father-inlaw, at dawn asking for the Lords help to, get my gear off the street. By 10:30 am the good Lord was moving.

Phoned my buddy the MD down the street at 6:58am. By 10:18 he had a tip from someone who had spied one of them as she was passing my driveway. Her description, over the phone prompted my little bro to suggest two names. After she came home from giving her statement to the police, I asked her to look at two guys pics. "No" to the first one, but said "that"s him" the minute we clicked the second one.

LEO's are on it, keep them in your prayers, for a safe successful night. I havn't slept since noon yesterday so I am off to bed. Once again, thanks for your kind words, good advice and prayers. Nath both detectives where from your country. Great chaps. Smart, funny and grinders.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote::evil: (explitive deleted)

+1 :evil: :evil:

I'll gladly bring the rope if they are caught! :twisted:

I hate thieves.

Prayers up!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

That really sucks! Dunno what I would do if someone stole my collection but it would not be good for the thief.
Hope you get them back, undamaged and unused

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

if it's someone your brother knows, they won't get far, good going.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

You must be a hurting dude. We all feel for you. I hope you get them back, get justice, and get your piece of mind back somehow.

Owen
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Samb, be prepared to get a second visit. Thieves will give the victim some time to replace the items they stole with new ones and then come back and get them too. Especially guns. Your neighbors and you should get spun up on watching each others backs (kinds of sounds like you've started that).
Old Law Dawg
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Thanks for the heads up Kim. I intend to make any safe in the future invisible.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

And bolt them down!!!!!!!

Owen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

samb wrote:Thanks for the heads up Kim. I intend to make any safe in the future invisible.
Not to be nosy, but it always helps to learn from things that happen, whether to ones self or to others...
  • Was the safe somplace like your garage, where it could be seen by passers-by if the door was open?
    Were you in an area where neighbors wouldn't see them take it out and load it into a truck?
    Was it bolted down to a floor or to a wall (and if so, how in heck did they cut it free...)?
Anyway, hope you get 'em back in good shape; from what I understand, some firearms might be harder to replace in Canada than elsewhere.

samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

AJMD429 wrote:
samb wrote:Thanks for the heads up Kim. I intend to make any safe in the future invisible.
Not to be nosy, but it always helps to learn from things that happen, whether to ones self or to others...
  • Was the safe somplace like your garage, where it could be seen by passers-by if the door was open?
    Were you in an area where neighbors wouldn't see them take it out and load it into a truck?
    Was it bolted down to a floor or to a wall (and if so, how in heck did they cut it free...)?
Anyway, hope you get 'em back in good shape; from what I understand, some firearms might be harder to replace in Canada than elsewhere.
Answer;
1.NO
2.NO
3.NO

Pm sent.

Best Security practices as per my local police, first three are their's.

1.Get a dog Best security system on earth.
2.Getting an alarm system will buy you 15 minutes, also helps pinpoint time of robbery.
3.Getting a good safe and bolting it down buys you 30 minutes, (hiding safe and leaving decoy safe visible might buy you forever).
4.Move guns from home to car via garage out of sight, my own new best practice.
5.Warn your brothers if they ever show up with a felon friend at your home you will kill both of them on sight. I have seven brothers one or two are expendable. Okay Police did not say number five, but they thought it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

samb wrote:4.Move guns from home to car via garage out of sight, my own new best practice.
Many of us with wives do that already... :wink:
samb wrote:5.Warn your brothers if they ever show up with a felon friend at your home you will kill both of them on sight. I have seven brothers one or two are expendable. Okay Police did not say number five, but they thought it.
I know what you mean - not from a brother, but sometimes friend's kids give me the creeps big-time. The ones that kind of just stand and look around, mouth-breathing, probably frustrated because they haven't been stoned for at least 30 minutes since they're with mom and dad.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

samb wrote:Best Security practices as per my local police, first three are their's.
1.Get a dog Best security system on earth.
2.Getting an alarm system will buy you 15 minutes, also helps pinpoint time of robbery.
3.Getting a good safe and bolting it down buys you 30 minutes, (hiding safe and leaving decoy safe visible might buy you forever).
4.Move guns from home to car via garage out of sight, my own new best practice.
5.Warn your brothers if they ever show up with a felon friend at your home you will kill both of them on sight. I have seven brothers one or two are expendable. Okay Police did not say number five, but they thought it.
That thinkin' out loud can be troublesome, but often gives homeowners or victims much to ponder... and their best solutions! :P :P
Number one only works well with really aggressive dogs, mostly the kind that you don't want around the rest of your family. 2, 3 & 4 are your best options. But, as I did, tellin' the family that if they hang out with felons, don't bother comin' to my house, with or without their "friends". I ain't been bothered since.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

But, as I did, tellin' the family that if they hang out with felons, don't bother comin' to my house, with or without their "friends". I ain't been bothered since.
I have a good friend who was ripped off that way. Had her son watching
her house while she was away. Son hung out with a bad crowd and
had a party. End of the good jewelry, a Luger, and some cash.

Even though they know who did it, and the guy was an experienced crook,
they never found anything on him. No case........ Gotta be careful who you
let in your house. I've seen come contactors/service people I for darn-sure
wouldn't let on my property. Obvious prison tattoos, etc......

-Stretch