Marlin one piece ejectors?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin one piece ejectors?

Post by yooper2 »

Hi there,
I've had a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 for about 8 years now, maybe 12-13,000 rounds through it and I've never had a problem with the ejector despite using the rifle in some of the least hospitable conditions this side of Alaska. However, I've met several people who have one piece ejectors from Wild West Guns or similar outfits who tell me that you need them for total reliability. At the same time none of them had the original factory ejector fail in any way. I guess my question is if anybody has ever had a factory ejector break or otherwise fail them in a 1895, 444, or 336 Marlin? Thanks in advance for your comments and time,

Eric
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin one piece ejectors?

Post by jeepnik »

I can't say I've ever broke one. I have the Bear Proof ejector on my GS, but I just stuck that in when I did the Happy Trigger. I guess I might do it on others if and when the stock part breaks. But I don't really expect that to happen.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I put a bear proof in my cowboy and carry the factory one as a spare along with a extractor and lever screw.
The shoulder on the bear proof ejector is set back a little further which allows for a slightly longer over-all total length of the bullet. At least that`s what i figure the reason would be.
Plus they beveled the top edge on the front end so the case rides up over it if need be. My factory ejector did that which caused a hang up, i filed a bevel on it also.
This is a pic of a bear proof.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Down side is they are STIFF compared to factory, adding to overall lever effort. IF I was gonna carry my Marlin far from home, I'd bring an extra ejector with me. Not like they are expensive or bulky parts.
Certified gun nut
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I never broke one, but I'v found them broken. Then I also have a few well worn Marlins from the 50s that have the original parts still going strong. JMHO but anything can break, in my experience the ejectors are not something that needs worrying about. I supose an extra is a good idea but I'd use the factory one.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Thank you very much for the input gentlemen.

Eric
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just ordered a replacement for the one in my Guide Gun today. Under 400 total rounds fired out of the gun, and the spring on the ejector is broken. I cannot say why, but it is broken about the middle of the spring. I ordered a factory original and one of the wild west ones. I want to see the difference.
The Wife's 336 has the original spring and is still going strong after more than 10 years. Why the one in the .45-70 broke, I am not sure.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got a bunch of factory ejectors and extractors for Marlin 336, 1895, and 444 models in my parts bins. Never get a request for one unless someone loses their's. Does that tell you how often they break?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

marlinman93 wrote:I've got a bunch of factory ejectors and extractors for Marlin 336, 1895, and 444 models in my parts bins. Never get a request for one unless someone loses their's. Does that tell you how often they break?
Well, if you got that many can I have one for a spare for my 1894 Cowboy? :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I didn't really break one, but I did loosen one up to the point that the spring would slide off the other half. I couldn't find a way to recrimp the spring portion in place so I did replace it with a WWG part. It did still work, but would fall apart when I took it out for cleaning and sometimes would present problems during reassembly. Looking back, I could have bought multiple Marlin parts for the money I spent on that aftermarket item. This ejector was from a 45-70 and I think it loosened up due to constantly cycling the lever with live rounds when unloading the rifle.
Well done is better than well said.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am of the if-it-works-don't-fix-it school of thought. Refinement is another thing but I have yet to find an older Marlin that really NEEDED refinement except for a good receiver sight. I have yet to experience a broken Marlin ejector and yet to see one come into the shop for one in 3 years.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I think gun shy would be the word here, some of the later Remlin guns are far from perfect and have had a lot of problems. One of mine the case would catch the very end of the ejector and would tip the nose of the bullet up against the chamber causing a hang-up. That is when i put a bear proof in it and after seeing how they beveled the nose of the ejector and doing that to my factory one it worked fine.
I agree if the gun was put together right and works like it should out of the box leave it along unless ya feel better caring extra parts. Better to have a replacement part if ya need it than to be sitting there in bear country wishing ya would of carried some extra parts.
I have a lot of other guns that i don`t have spare parts for and never thought about it but these new Marlins have made me cautious. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.