.~.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

.~.

Post by J Miller »

.~.
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: What is the big infatuation with black powder?

Post by Mike D. »

I never could figure that one out, Joe. Nothing interests me less. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

For me it was a faze i went thru, just to see what i was like. Then I picked up a new fad: T/C Contenders and Lever actions in old, obsolete and inaccurate cartridges :P Only about 1/4 of the way thru it so far :)
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Maybe BP shooters are anachronisms!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Cuz it's fun. Ain't that why we shoot what we shoot. I doubt there are many here who need to hunt to survive, yet many of us hunt. And, fewer still will ever need a firearm to survive, yet most of us shoot.

Personally, I love that stinky cloud. It sure makes me appreciate how easy we have it with modern firearms and ammunition.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I don't shoot b/p.
I do have one, just in case.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

1) It's old.
2) It's different.
3) No background check/ATF anal probe...so far.
4) No waiting period.....so far.

That's all I have at the moment.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Excellent question....not sure I have an answer for you...or for myself for that matter.
I've enjoyed both "traditional" muzzleloaders and black powder cartridge shooting from old-style, and more modern arms for several decades. They're "in the mix" of things I enjoy shooting...my interests in all of them tend to wax and wane...shifting over time for no obvious reason other than my whim @ that moment. I'd not call it an "infatuation" in my case...just another way to enjoy myself.

SO FAR....it's still my FREE CHOICE.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Because they're retarded. I can't imagine why anyone would shot anything other than a 30/06, 22LR, or 12 guage. And while we're at it, why does anyone still use leather when Kydex does it all?
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Joe,
For me it's like stepping back in time and walking in the steps of those that have gone before us.........
Just yesterday, I was testing two, new to me, black powders in the 44-40, Kik 1 1/2FG and 2FG and Diamondback 2F and 3F.

Believe it or not, the right b.p. load combinations will group better than my best smokeless loads in my .357, 44-40 amd 45 Colt rifles for 50+ rounds....no cleaning in between either! :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Jose...I'll try to give a few reasons for me...

It's not just the smell of primal fire & brimstone, it's the unique voice that only BP speaks with. Perhaps, it is a connection with our ancestors & a more simple time.

Every time I fire one at the range I get a crowd of shooters wanting to know what it's like. I load it up & let them fly at least once. Always a big grin & hopefully a new world opens up to them.

Much of our modern world has lost Woodsmanship, Survivalism & learning to be an Outdoorsman & Sportsman. Though lost on much of urban society, simple skills are treasured by people like me. (Pitchy is a living example of Firefox which I adore). Being self sustaining, even living in the wild in a makeshift shelter made with your own hands.

Some late info... some people back east are selling much of what they own, loading up the car & driving west. They are finding some BLM land & homesteading: just like in the 1800's. Homestead & simple living magazines are on the rise. Check it out for yourself on the net. They are making claims & doing the required improvements to patent the claims & living a simpler & more fulfilling life. Grow, raise, fish & hunt for your own food. Living G-D's way. The way of Faith...

BP is just one of the advantages. No cartridges, just gun powder, ball & cap. It doesn't get any simpler unless you go in for traditional archery (which I do). Shotguns are just as effective & darn near perfect for game getting.

If you're the methodical type...make your own powder. Have to be careful though, some have lost their hands (or lives) because they are in a rush.

Rick Hacker (the old gunwriter) shot nothing but BP for decades. He always looked well fed to me. Same with Phil Spangenburger. Met him at the old Sands antique gun show in Las Vegas in the early 80's several times. Quite a guy, believe me.

If the bad times happens, the BP gunner is going to be in a whole lot better shape after a couple of yrs.

The appeal of 3000fps lost it's luster 45 yrs ago when I found out that a 30 WCF cast load would go through a deer like so much air. Energy, shmenergy....just isn't true. Oh...the deer took 3 steps & keeled over. Tasted great!

Hope that helps...Mie Amigo

LB
Last edited by LeverBob on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Some of us just enjoy playing with fire. Works well with the bigger, slower theory of launching bullets.

rimrock
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Elk at 300 yards with an 06 and a 3x9 scope is meat in the freezer. A bow, handgun, flintlock put the "hunt" back in it. Still trying to take a turkey with the blunderbuss. had to pass up 40 yard shots that would have been meat in the pan for the 31/2" 12 gauge.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

airedaleman wrote:Maybe BP shooters are anachronisms!
:lol: :lol:

I like the smell. :?

I like shooting something 'primitive' yet using a 'high explosive' the LibTards would love to ban. :twisted:

BUT I'm not all that sure some SR-4759 and 5744 loads don't do the same thing physically without the corrosion issues.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For one thing nothing offers the smell that black powder does. BP seems to give you a chance to become more intimate with your arms. If you're shooting a patched round ball you will find out in short order just what can be done with them and not feel a bit undergunned or at a disadvantage.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Let's one shoot period pieces that are challenging to load with smokeless powders just due to the metalurgy of the day.

And the other reasons mentioned! :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:...for the stinky, smelly, messy, corrosive, charcoal based stuff called black powder.
Why does it still hold our affection? Why do we shoot it from modern guns when we don't have to?
I'm not picking on anybody cos I shoot it too sometimes. I'm just curious. I could go the rest of my life and never shoot another round of it. But I won't.
Just wondering out loud.
Joe
Corrosive, at least that part of your premise is wrong. The corrosive part is due to a lack of cleanliness, and since the advent of non-corrosive primers, even that is greatly reduced! Stinky & smelly are surely in the nose of the individual. And, messy? I probably spill far less BP in my reloading than smokeless.

Yes, the best answer may well be that is is part & parcel of a simpler time, when riflemen overcame several obstacles to good shooting that smokeless did away with for us. The challenge of doing it with the same obstacles is often a fierce motivator. I have no doubt that if allowed therre'd be a group of cyclists that would attempt the Tour de France on bikes from 1903.

Anachronisms.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

It speaks to the ancient in me. BP, though not in cartridge form, suits me. My flintlock is my favorite firearm, it has taken all sorts of game for me and more deer than any other firearm I have ever owned. Between my bow and the flintlock, they sooth all that stirs in me.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Leverbob,
As far as I know, there is currently in existence a moratorium on patening claims.
If you know differently, I would like to know.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's the same reason so many are drawn to a steam engine.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

'Cause as long as you have rocks & Iron, with BP (easily made) you have a gun...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Black Powder has been "calling me" for a long time. I even had a modern Colt Army 44 and never shot it before I sold it. Beautiful gun.

I really should give it a chance--in my 45-70 lever gun.

Would someone run that "keeping them clean and free of rust is no big problem" argument by me one more time?

Don
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Not from me, I know how hard it is.
Some years ago we had a discussion here simular to this one.
It led to my admitted affection to bows, as I opined that as long as I had a bow; I could obtain a modern firearm.
That led to a bow being gifted to me by a forum member, and a lifelong friendship with this person, although we have never met.
I keep coming back to this place because, here; I have met some of the finest people in the world.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Well, it's like this. If ya never have touched off a cylinder full of rounds from a Colt (or clone) '51, ''60, '61, or '62 revolver, ya just ain't livin right. Run a few rounds shooting from under a tin roof at twilight for a good show of lightning and thunder. Drop the hammer on a percussian derringer or .50 cal Hawken ya made from a department store kit (time was you could buy both of em for under $100, with enough left for sandpaper and tung oil) and you will begin to understand. Fire a Rolling Block in .50-70, launching an ounce of lead with a rifle sneaking up on 150 yrs old if that don't help ya get a clue. If none of the above puts a smile on yer face, yer dead.
Certified gun nut
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

getitdone1 wrote:Black Powder has been "calling me" for a long time. I even had a modern Colt Army 44 and never shot it before I sold it. Beautiful gun.

I really should give it a chance--in my 45-70 lever gun.

Would someone run that "keeping them clean and free of rust is no big problem" argument by me one more time?

Don

It's actually EASIER to clean a gun that has been shot with BP than one running smokeless. The only problem is, ya actually DO have to clean em. A tea kettle of boiling water, a few rag scraps, a cleaning rod and a bottle of Ballistol, and yer in like flynn. DO get all the nitro-based crud and all the petroleum-based lubes OUT of the gun before shooting BP, or you will wish you had. But once well cleaned, seasoned with Ballistol (bore butter where grease is best) and ya got a gun that will come clean in no time after a day of burning charcoal. When I ran BP in my Marlin, I got so I could tear it down, clean it, and reassemble it in about 15 minutes. MY Ruger Vaqueros RARELY saw a tear down cleaning. I'd pull the cylinders, douse them and the barrel with very hot water, wipe em out, oil em up with ballistol and be ready for another day's shooting in under 10 minutes.

My wife's little '62 Pocket Navy Colt (clone) cleans up in about 10 minutes, including pulling the nipples and cleaning the gun and the cylinder. That gun was stored in a sporadically heated workshop all winter, and has ZERO issues, as it was put to bed with a thin film of bore butter on every bit of it (just wiped it with a rag with bore butter on it). It isn't hard to do.

Now, the OTHER end of this discussion is of course the ultimate RKBA handgun. It is a LOT harder to confiscate/regulate, control or limit a gun that has no more paper trail than a claw hammer......
Last edited by adirondakjack on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified gun nut
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I only shoot black out of my Ruger OA, TC Hawken and Shiloh Sharps. Obviously the Ruger and the TC were made for BP. The Shiloh I like trying to put together accurate loads with BP because of the challenge. I have, but don't shoot BP out of my Colt SAA's anymore. I'm to OC to shoot BP out of them because I can't stand not totally cleaning them after shooting.
Old Law Dawg
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I LOVE the smell of black powder in the morning!

Hard as diamonds finding BP here in the islands so I used Pyrodex mainly though in the end before I sold my last muzzle-loader I was using Triple-7 pellets. I got spoiled using Triple-7 pellets.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

airedaleman wrote:Maybe BP shooters are anachronisms!
yeah baby. :!:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Mescalero wrote:Leverbob,
As far as I know, there is currently in existence a moratorium on patening claims.
If you know differently, I would like to know.
Please explain....

LB
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Some years ago the moratorium was lifted, but congress never appropiated funds for processing patents.
So we have a catch 22,
you can apply for a patent, legally;
but the BLM does not have funding for processing them,
so they do not get processed.
Interesting way we do buisiness in this country.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

OOOhhhhh, I get it!

A Paten is a plate used in the Eucharist in the roman Catholic Church. It is also "something that is self evident". Sorry, I misread your post.

You refered to a "patent" of a claim...I haven't heard of any such moritorium on such claims. If you have more info I would be glad to listen. I only reported what I read in a news article.

If I'm misinformed, I withdraw that part of my statement.

Best to you Mesc...

LB
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

'Cause my Springfield model 1873 Trapdoor (made in 1875) does not shoot well with smokeless. Deep rifling requires .461+ hollow base bullets made from nothing harder than 20-1 lead, BP was the only substance that consistantly worked.
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

For me its a combination of being the only one i know who does it, being historic, feeling like im in a louis lamour novel, and contempt for modern society. :D
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I don't shoot it in my cartridge guns but love to burn it in my muzzle loaders. I love the smell, love the great cloud of white smoke that rolls out and the thunderous boom when I press the trigger on my Lyman GP rifle. I also get great satisfaction from cleanly killing deer with a .54 round ball. I am the only one in my group who uses side lock percussion guns. I am also the only one who hasn't had a failure to fire or other glitch that cost me an animal. The other guys who own the modern in-lines all used to scoff at my old style guns, until the shooting match was over and I out shot all of them.
I guess the same holds true for the BPC shooters. Also, there is the axiom" If you have to ask, you will never understand".

Kevin
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I can see where the cleaning would be easier and more complete with a single shot than a repeater.

Maybe that's where the Springfield and the 50-70 come-in--for me.

I'm curious about that black powder smell. Also, isn't black powder louder than smokeless with equally stout loads? How's the sound differ other than loudness?

Don
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BECAUSE I CAN :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I like the recoil characteristics of black powder as well as the smell of the cloud it makes..
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Kinda like riding Harley-Davidson, and like someone said: "If you have to ask, you'll never understand."
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I enjoy muzzleloaders. I can't see using blackpowder in cartridge guns unless it's required by the rules of some of the matches they are used in.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I dont like cleaning up after shooting black powder....
What a stinkin' mess..
I do hunt with a modern in-line...one or two weekends a year.
took a few nice deer and a huge hog with it...

but just to go to the range and shoot black powder for fun....nope..
I sight it in just before the season....and thats it..
and my current levers will never see it either....

Now if i could get a hold of an old sharps rifle I might change my tune...

SASS has a class where they shoot black powder and it looks like a pretty good time...
but i bet they hope the winds blows a little bit!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

RIHMFIRE wrote:SASS has a class where they shoot black powder and it looks like a pretty good time...
Yep, just ask our own Griff.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RIHMFIRE wrote:SASS has a class where they shoot black powder and it looks like a pretty good time...
Actually, you can use BP in any SASS category. In fact, a .36 cal C&B revolver is legal in "Classic Cowboy," where your cartridge six-shooter must be at least .40 caliber. There are currently two official SASS BP categories:
FRONTIER CARTRIDGE
• Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot two handed or one handed (duelist style).
• Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun).
• Must use a side-by-side or lever action shotgun in the main match stages.
• Any SASS–legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable.
• Frontier Cartridge Duelist is also recognized with all requirements being the same except
the Duelist and Double Duelist shooting styles are used. See Duelist description for the
required shooting technique(s).
NOTE: Frontier Cartridge competitors may use any SASS–legal firearms and propellants
in team and side matches.
and,
FRONTIERSMAN
• Any Main Match percussion revolver with non-adjustable sights (Note exceptions listed re:
dovetailed sights). (Exception: The 1873 Uberti percussion revolver is not allowed. )
• Revolvers must be shot duelist or double duelist style. See Duelist description for required
shooting technique.
• Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun).
• Must use a side-by-side or lever action shotgun in the main match stages.
• Any SASS–legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable.
Although not specifically stated, Frontiersmen may also use smokeless powder and cartridge arms in team and side matches where allowed. (Exception being the Plainsman side match, which is BP specific).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

M. M. Wright wrote:Kinda like riding Harley-Davidson."
That's exactly my point. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.~.
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

J Miller wrote:But, I don't ride motorcycles, so I don't have anything to compare it with.

You know when you make this comment: "If you have to ask, you'll never understand.", it makes me wonder if you can't put your own reasons into words, so rather than trying you cut down the asker.

Joe

Joe, it's a feeling ya get, and feelings are more difficult to explain to those who have never experienced them than about anything. Try to explain how a glorious sunset makes ya feel to a blind man, or the feeling ya get with the spray in your face when out on the ocean in "big" water for the first time.....

If ya got a SA revolver, get yerself a danged pound of powder and some appropriately lubed bullets and find out. Otherwise, ya may as well ask "I don't get why people like pizza?" when ya never had pizza.....

I shoot CAS as you know. Lately I've been shooting "Outlaw" style, which means ya shoot the shotgun and the pistols from the hip (rifle may use the sights). If ya never tried it, I couldn't explain it. Next month I plan to shoot a mismatched pair of pistols as well. I'll use a .45 Ruger with smokeless, and the little '62 Pocket navy, .36 cap n ball as the second gun. I'm thinking a good bit of the "penalty" associated with BP, (not being able to see targets after the first shot or two), may be eliminated because the pistol at the hip will allow me to see over the smoke. But in any event, it'll be FUN poppin caps on some Swiss ;)
Certified gun nut
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

I don't look at that as a "put-down," it's more like acknowledging a hardwiring difference. My wife just wants her car to start when you turn the key... and I don't mind the occasional need to tinker to get my hot rod to start. In fact, I feel it adds the human character to my car. On my hi-performance 427 I'd often have to dry out the distributor cap & points if the dew point was just right... no biggie for me, but a majoor castastrophe for others. When I get it in the p/u, I'm sure it'll be the same. Some may look at my lowered '55-½ chevy p/u as a pain-in-the-rear, but to me, it's "cool"! Maybe if I say "...if you don't understand, I can't explain it..." sounds less like an insult, but to me, means the same?

Let me add, there's few thrills like mashing the gas on 425 ponies in a 3100lb car with 4:11s and a cloose-ratio 4-speed... makes all the greasy fingernails worth it. When a cop stops ya, and insteada asking for your license & insurance, but asks, "can I see under the hood?" You done good. When I moved to TX. I had that a LOT. When I joined the Sheriff's Dept, when introduced to other cops with the cities in our county, they'd immediately say, "oh, you're the guy with the '55!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

J Miller wrote:But, I don't ride motorcycles, so I don't have anything to compare it with.

You know when you make this comment: "If you have to ask, you'll never understand.", it makes me wonder if you can't put your own reasons into words, so rather than trying you cut down the asker.

Joe
Now Joe, I only quoted the portion of the post that supported my point (which is mostly tongue in cheek), that using black powder in cartridge guns (another point most missed and began railing about their front loaders) is about as smart as riding a Harley Davidson when so many well engineered good motorcycles are available. Again, my posts on this topic are mostly in jest, agreeing with your initial post completley, and poking fun at the black powder cartridge users.

Regarding the well used "if you have to ask, you'll never understand" statement; I always reply, "go ahead and try to explain it to me" or just chuckle and walk away.

I do, however, understand using black powder for either muzzle loaders or cartridges guns. It's because it's fun and challenging. The same thing goes for riding a Harley, it's fun to ride a piece of history and hang around people who are like minded. As for me, I shot black powder for some time and got very tired of cleaning up after shooting and finally discarded the whole practice. Now when I'm struck with the desire to simplify my shooting, I shoot my single shot rifles and leave the cleaning to more patient men than me. As far as riding a Harley Davidson; I owned and rode one for decades, and on my last ride, with the wind in my face (and bugs and rocks), I decided I'd rather ride in an air conditioned pickup with a windshield and a comfortable seat and sold the shovelhead to highest bidder.

For lazy old soft little me, I understand, but prefer easier and more comfortable.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Griff wrote:Let me add, there's few thrills like mashing the gas on 425 ponies in a 3100lb car with 4:11s and a cloose-ratio 4-speed... makes all the greasy fingernails worth it.
Now, that I understand - big blocks forever! :D
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Joe, all the reasons above are valid personal choices. But the one fact that gives BP an edge over smokeless is the fact that for long range like the BPCR Silhouette game where these guys are shooting out to 600 meters BP is much more accurate.
That game requires bullets in the 500 gr or larger pushed at about 1200 FPS, no more. Big slow bullets like that aren't effected by wind near like faster smaller bullets. But, the load has to be very consistant. Compressed bp loads do that with really low standard deviation. Combined with quality repeatable sights some say they are more accurate than scoped smokeless rifles.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Steam locomotive, Harley? No valid analogy there. I have used my share of BP, but no longer. The though of running that stuff through a nice condition 1886 makes me quake in fear. I have done it, and suffered the clean up with hot water, a thousand patches to wipe it clean and the mess of trash in the action. Nope, never more. Smokeless gives me the option to clean, or not to clean. All that is usually done after shooting is to run a bore snake through and fo'get about it.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln