OT - New Addition, but Not a Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

OT - New Addition, but Not a Levergun

Post by Griff »

IAC Winchester '97 clone, in Trench Gun garb!

A friend came by and picked me up and drove me over to the dealer's that handled the transaction... how sweet is that? And, even better, he was thinking ahead and brought along a box of ammo for running a little test to make sure it shot... So... ok, 25' ain't any real test of it's patterning... but by gum, it put all 25 rounds on that steel plate... was even the one we was aimin' for!

That heavy bayonet lug and handguard add quite a bit of weight out there, and even tho' this was some hi-base stuff, it didn't knock the stuffin' outta me... I shot it kinda slow for the first 6 rounds... yes, it will just hold six by the skin of it's little mag stop; but I'm gonna figure how just what needs to be done to make it hold six without worryin' over the shell OAL. Very nice gun, even if it does come packaged in some kinda 5th-wheel grease! Good thing Joey brought along some latex gloves and a can of spray cleaner... (don't ya just love friends that come prepared)? Look out SASS Wild Bunch... I'ma comin'!!!! :twisted: :P :P :P

And, he's a gunsmith to boot... doin' a project (similar to my own, and one discussed here recently) for my friend! So, when I get into town next, off go my box of Marlin 1894 parts, and in a couple of weeks, I should get back a shortened barrel, customized hammer, maybe even refinished... still have to discuss that a bit!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - New Addition, but Not a Levergun

Post by stickfred »

Good going Griff. A new shooter and someone to finish your project. Maybe your friend will drive you out with the parts :wink: .
Congratulations and happy shooting.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Neat! Looks like a heap O fun 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I finally stumbled onto a Winchester 1897 (made in 1916) that was in terrific condition. Out of the 5 shotguns that I own, the 1897 is far and away my very favorite.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Enjoy is you sassy bandit you! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking forward to the ranch report on that! :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Does it have a hammer block?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:Does it have a hammer block?
Other'n the firing pin? No.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That's cool!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A million years ago I had an ancient Marlin Mdl 19 pump shot gun. Paid all of maybe 50 for it. It had a really long barrel and needed a new bead.
It was a fun gun and for it's age and weaknesses it shot pretty well. It was stollen back in 77 :x .

Your 97 copy really intrigues me. I'd like to have one, either an original or a copy to use for little birdie hunting. Since I "AM" an anachronism I just don't see any new designs that I want.

Griff, good score.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thats real nice. well done
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Another bit of advice, if ya order one, have a pair of disposable ready to handle it while you clean off that chinese 5th wheel grease they come covered in. Thanks yet again, Dusty!

Bud's Guns is out of the Trenchgun, but still have the Riot gun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
You sure you didn't sneak that gun in from Pennsylvania the other day by hiding it between the tractor's rear tandems, just under the fifth wheel. THATS where the grease came from. :D

Good snag but it almost makes me think your "changing". Whats a fellow like you, who is addicted to fine blackpowder double guns doing with a new fangled pump gun?-------------Sixgun

In the future, you "gots" to let me know several days in advance when your headed up here. . This time I was only about 10 miles from where you were at the last time you were up this way when you met Fordwannabe at the Hamburg gunclub. I was just north of there.-----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks good! Those oldsters didn't have a trigger disconnect on them either so you could hold the trigger back and pump away. I shot one of those in that manner one time, knocked the bark off my thumb. I changed my wicked ways after that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
You sure you didn't sneak that gun in from Pennsylvania the other day by hiding it between the tractor's rear tandems, just under the fifth wheel. THATS where the grease came from. :D
Good snag but it almost makes me think your "changing". Whats a fellow like you, who is addicted to fine blackpowder double guns doing with a new fangled pump gun?-------------Sixgun
In the future, you "gots" to let me know several days in advance when your headed up here. . This time I was only about 10 miles from where you were at the last time you were up this way when you met Fordwannabe at the Hamburg gunclub. I was just north of there.-----------Sixgun
Nope, twas still a boxed up in chinese cardboard & plastic. Dusty handed me the gloves and said, "... that grease WON'T wash outta yer clothes, takes 3 weeks of washing to get off yer hands & 4 for the smell to rub off!" I went with obvious superior experience!

I'm lettin' ya know now... Sunday I'll be in Bordentown, NJ gettin' "the Black Rose" an oil change & lube...

Monday I'm pickin' up in Dayton, NJ and headed back to TX. It's all the notice I get!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I had an original '97 with a 20" barrel.
It was ansolutely pristine inside and completely void of blue on the outside.
The story was that it was carried around in a police cruised for decades, handled a lot over the course of time and hardly ever used, which was apparent.

I picked it up in the mid-eighties for $200.
Sold it after a couple years and then in '88 or '89, it was sitting in the rack at the guns shop I was working at when I got there one Saturday morning - the exact same gun, but with a hang tag with about $450 on it.

It was a very nicely designed and made gun. I shot all handloads from a LEE hand loader (the one you use a hammer with) that I bought for $5. I still have a bag of #5 shot lying under the casting bench from that "project."

That's a nice gun, Griff. You should certainly be able to enjoy that one.