Casastahle, I'm a callin' you out

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Casastahle, I'm a callin' you out

Post by adirondakjack »

Yer a terrible enabler. For years I thought about how to have a proper camp kitchen for the dream overnight kayak fishing trip. I said KAYAK, not winnebago, so size and weight are the primary concern, aside from somethin that actually works. I also didn't wanna spend the dough for some "everest" kit for OH MY GOD money. I had not yet done the trip in part because I didn't have cooking worked out.

Yer alcohol stove was the key. Then today I went and fleshed it out with ECONOMY stuff. A fifty cent two ounce bottle and an old RC airplane fuel fitting made a dandy fuel bottle that fits the filler of the stove.
COOKWARE was another issue. Coleman makes a nice set for almost $30, but the dollar store had 2 pint and 3 pint anodized sauce pans for $1 each. I bought two 2 pint and a 3 pint. Carefully cut the rim off a 2 pint pan to make it fit as a lid inside the rim of the other 2 pint pan (a cover speeds water boiling) and double as a bowl. These fit nicely in a 3 pint pan, especially with the cheezy plastic handles removed. In their place, a single "L" shaped aluminum handle was cut from 1X 1/8 aluminum, and notched so it acts as a "poker" style handle. The slot in the short arm of the "L" loops over the screw head that originally secured the plastic handle, and lift the pot..... The handle stows in the 3 pint pan. My stove, pot stand, and alcohol bottle fit INSIDE the nested pans, which fit into a small stuff sack. (the stove and alcohol will get ziplocked to prevent contamination of the cookware.) Now I have a complete cook set, stove and all that will be a mass smaller than 6" cubed, and a secondary fuel supply can be carried in a disposable 12 ounce water bottle. Add some of mother's "fine china" (heavy duty paper plates and "starbucks-style" coffee cups, alsong with plastic spoons, etc), and I'm set.

Gonna do a river/lake 2 day fishing trip in August. The last (most difficult) part of my gear, the "kitchen" is now ready.

Thanks for the "thread drift" on the oil candle thread. Oh, the percussion cap can oil candle goes with as well :mrgreen:

Ya never know where Leverguns will take ya, that's for sure. :)
Certified gun nut
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Casastahle, I'm a callin' you out

Post by Old Savage »

Never mind that BS post a picture of a pretty girl.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Good ol OS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Old Savage wrote:Never mind that BS post a picture of a pretty girl.

Just fer you, OS

Certified gun nut
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

adirondakjack wrote:

Just fer you, OS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Warning: Thread Drift.....My GF shot my .41 Bisley from that position, and I called her Spot the rest of the day. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks AJ - looks like the first pistol I ever shot - think it was a 32.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well thanks Jack...
Glad I was able to help get your wheels a turning.
Looks and sounds like yeah got a good handle on your
camp cooking rig. Just an FYI the yellow bottles of Heet
makes for about the best fuel for those little stoves I'v found. :D 8)

OS - that pic. is a little on the weak side, we all know you can do better... :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd like to see photos of your set-up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sure would be nice to have some PICTURES of that cool stove/kitchen setup... :)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mike, not my picture but she looks interesting - might like to have a chat with her.

Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Sounds like he is a very good enabler to me.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jack,

I coulda solved dilemna for ya. My solution was a 18' canoe, early on it was needed because there was 4 of us, now that it's just me, ballast is an issue... keeping that bow down. And no, portages aren't a problem, if God put a barrier in my way, he doesn't intend for me to go there! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:Mike, not my picture but she looks interesting - might like to have a chat with her.
O yes I see, Jack posted that one.
I thought that one was a bit on the mild side for our OS :wink:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

AJMD429 wrote:Sure would be nice to have some PICTURES of that cool stove/kitchen setup... :)
Ok, the stove has been well covered on the oil candle thread, but here's one.

Cheap pots from the dollar store, the handles removed. One small pot has the rim removed to make a fitted lid for the other small pot. The handle is 1X1/8" aluminum stock.

a covered pot boils faster...

Nested, ready to stuff in a drawstring bag (once I find one. I have several somewhere). The biggest (3 pint) pot is 6.5" wide.

Griff, You saw my little trailer I tow behind the motorcycle. it's had the tongue extended, and is now used to tow the 12 Ft kayak. I think an 18 ft canoe behind the bike would probably have the local Barney's digging in their books looking for a law ;)
Certified gun nut
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

adirondakjack wrote:

Just fer you, OS

You can tell by the hat that is my wife. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Very good and a spare core unit is not only cheap but feather light - in case something happens to the first one.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Very good and a spare core unit is not only cheap but feather light - in case something happens to the first one.

I thought of making a second stove with a different jet configuration to use for smaller pots, more concentrated flame. This one makes a BIG amount of flame that spreads pretty wide... Gotta try this one out in camp conditions first. We're going camping in a few weeks (conventional trailer camping) but I'm gonna use this stove once or twice to see how I like it....
Certified gun nut
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Very good and a spare core unit is not only cheap but feather light - in case something happens to the first one.
Exactly why I made two of them... :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pitchy wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:

Just fer you, OS

Hummm!! Pitchy maybe a few more of them hot tub pictures would be in order 8)
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

casastahle wrote:
Pitchy wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:

Just fer you, OS

Hummm!! Pitchy maybe a few more of them hot tub pictures would be in order 8)
:lol: :lol: i better not say any more the wife is looking over my shoulder. :shock:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

You can also make a second one to simmer by using fewer holes (jets) to switch over to after you get a boil on the first one.

It IS addictive. I had a windfall of pop cans when we bouight a 12-pack of Pepsi for guests over Memorial Day weekend and I saved them for stoves. :oops:

A gallon of denatured alcohol at Lowe's is $15, whereas it is $7 a QUART at WM. I did the math on 4-pack of HEET vs. a quart if denatured alcohol (by the quart) and HEET won - until I found that gallon. :D

My "fuel bottle" is an 8 ounce Thompson Center black powder solvent bottle I bought probably twenty years ago. Wasn't any better than Dawn and HOT water, so it lasted a while. I had to dump a little out to put alcohol in it.

I am going to make a couple this week now too. You see this stuff and the sickness starts all over again. :roll:
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

adirondakjack wrote:.....Ok, the stove has been well covered on the oil candle thread, but here's one.....
Great job putting that kit together!
And you did it without any expensive titanium!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Jeff H wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:.....Ok, the stove has been well covered on the oil candle thread, but here's one.....
Great job putting that kit together!
And you did it without any expensive titanium!

No unobtanium here, LOL. I was gonna make a permanent coffee filter (aluminum cup with OH MY GOD number of .009 holes) , but the wife suggested I use coffee filters and a stapler and make pre-measured bags like tea bags...... That works.
Certified gun nut
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Jack, I've been using the coffee filter and stapler system for years. It works great and packs great.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Jeff H wrote:
You can also make a second one to simmer by using fewer holes (jets) to switch over to after you get a boil on the first one.

It IS addictive. I had a windfall of pop cans when we bouight a 12-pack of Pepsi for guests over Memorial Day weekend and I saved them for stoves. :oops:

A gallon of denatured alcohol at Lowe's is $15, whereas it is $7 a QUART at WM. I did the math on 4-pack of HEET vs. a quart if denatured alcohol (by the quart) and HEET won - until I found that gallon. :D

My "fuel bottle" is an 8 ounce Thompson Center black powder solvent bottle I bought probably twenty years ago. Wasn't any better than Dawn and HOT water, so it lasted a while. I had to dump a little out to put alcohol in it.

I am going to make a couple this week now too. You see this stuff and the sickness starts all over again. :roll:

:lol: And to think we & (mostly the wives) thought the sickness was exclusive
to buying guns. WRONG :roll: :) :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

adirondakjack wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Sure would be nice to have some PICTURES of that cool stove/kitchen setup... :)
Ok, the stove has been well covered on the oil candle thread, but here's one.

Cheap pots from the dollar store, the handles removed. One small pot has the rim removed to make a fitted lid for the other small pot. The handle is 1X1/8" aluminum stock.

a covered pot boils faster...

Nested, ready to stuff in a drawstring bag (once I find one. I have several somewhere). The biggest (3 pint) pot is 6.5" wide.

Griff, You saw my little trailer I tow behind the motorcycle. it's had the tongue extended, and is now used to tow the 12 Ft kayak. I think an 18 ft canoe behind the bike would probably have the local Barney's digging in their books looking for a law ;)
Hey Jack, can you copy these awesome cooking rig results over onto this thread http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=35560
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sorry guys I just love dis thing...It's sooo much fun to play with plus it just looks sooo cool.. Ja!.. My Svede Mess Kit... Five years ago? from Cheaper than Dirt.. $15 plus shipping... Came with the storage bottle for the fuel & Trangia alcohol burner...It'll boil the big pot full of water in 8 min..I added the flatware... If you don't want to use the burner the stove shell will accomodate embers... The bale has a hook so you can hang it over the fire....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Neat neat neat neat. 8) cool too. :D
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.