OT - .22 Martini gurus, need some learnin'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT - .22 Martini gurus, need some learnin'

Post by awp101 »

I've had a .22 Martini on my "short list" for quite a while. I'm still not in a position to acquire one but I'd like to start learning a bit more than I already think I know. In addition to the converted Cadets and BSA target rifles I've seen large frames converted to .22LR. My understanding is many of these were done for shooting clubs prior to WWI.

Here's my general questions (which will probably lead to further questions :lol: ):

Am I correct in thinking any of these would be standard velocity or target ammo only? I know feeding one bulk pack would be a bit like running 87 octane in a 911 GT3 RSR but when you're stocked up on 87 octane, er...I mean bulk pack, that's a consideration. I'm not shooting competition, I plink with firearms I find historically interesting.

How hard are peep sights for the different BSA rifles to come by? I don't want to buy something and then find out I have to double the price to acquire some unobtainium sight.

I see some of the BSA's lack irons and are listed as only having "scope blocks". Was there a general type of block fitted or was it whatever the customer wanted? Again, no point in getting one only to find out proper rings or bases can't be had for less than the cost of a kidney.

What's the consensus on the large frame conversions? I figure they'll be heavy for a .22 and I see very few with anything other than regular irons as opposed to peeps. I understand they're collectible in their own right but would drilling and tapping one for a set of period sights (or scope) totally kill the value? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but it's not like I'd be putting a red-dot or an AR15 BUIS on it.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - .22 Martini gurus, need some learnin'

Post by Mescalero »

Probably not relevant, but I used to shoot a small frame Martini ( in .218 Bee ) at stupid fast velocity.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I have 2 martini's both are heavy target rifles, a right handed action international mkI that is stocked left handed, and a fully left handed international mkII, the mkI is the most accurate 22 rifle I have ever shot, I own winchester 52's, 2 anschutzes 1413 and a 1813, Brno #4, several stevens and a kimber 82 and the martini outshoots them all, with that said decide how you want to use your rifle, if you are only going to shoot from a bench or a fixed position I would recommend 1 of the internationals, but at around 14 lbs I wouldnt try to carry it hunting, my brother has a martini model 12 and he uses it for hunting as well as target shooting and it is also a very accurate gun , they definatly shoot standard velocity ammo better then bulk, but bulk isnt a total waste either, you just are not going to get 1 hole groups with it. I would not buy any martini without the proper aperture sights as they are hard to come by and pretty expensive when you do find them, beware that the martini bug is every bit as contagious as leveritious, for a all around gun I would look for a model 12 or 13 or 1 with similar weight, also they make scope mounts that you can use to mount modern scopes onto the existing " unertl " blocks so you dont have to deface a original gun, personally both mine wear period correct unertl or lyman target scopes.
For more info check out RIMFIRE CENTRAL the martini forum, theres tons of good info about the various models
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

I have three Martini's a Model 12,15 and am converting a 310 to 218 BEE
They are my favorite rifles and very accurate with just about any .22 cartridge
Go to this English site it has all you want to know about the Martini http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_small-bo ... ifles.html
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

A friend of mine as a Martini that was played with. A bad 22 Hornet chamber etc. Had smithy install a very good Douglas barrel, properly chambered for 22 K-Hornet and never looked back. VERY accurate, fun to shoot, easy to handle.

I saw one at local show last year in 22 RF but seller was stupid on price otherwise I would of taken it home. Twice the real price, I will keep looking.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mescalero wrote:Probably not relevant, but I used to shoot a small frame Martini ( in .218 Bee ) at stupid fast velocity.
Actually, I'd forgotten the small frame Cadets are close in size (if not the same) as the .22 Martinis so it is relevant. :mrgreen:
azzhandler wrote:if you are only going to shoot from a bench or a fixed position I would recommend 1 of the internationals, but at around 14 lbs I wouldnt try to carry it hunting
The MkIII International I saw online was listed at 16# and had a 29" barrel. Too much of both for me even though it would only see bench time. Are those the normal weights and barrel lengths?
azzhandler wrote:beware that the martini bug is every bit as contagious as leveritious
Oh, I'm quite aware of that. :lol: Started out with a .310 Cadet almost 10 years ago, found a second, sold both and currently have one in .357 Mag. I know very well the pangs of Martini-itus. :lol:
azzhandler wrote:they make scope mounts that you can use to mount modern scopes onto the existing " unertl " blocks so you dont have to deface a original gun
Ahhh, that helps. Available from some place like Brownell's or a specialty outfit?
Nicknack wrote:Go to this English site it has all you want to know about the Martini http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_small-bo ... ifles.html
Thanks! I had that link on my old computer but lost it during the transfer I suppose since I kept looking and couldn't find it.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I did some thinking (see, that smoke wasn't coming from your computer after all :lol: ) and got out the tape measure.

With a 29" barrel and a 44.5" OAL the MkIII wouldn't be much different from most other rifles I suppose. The 16# part might be an issue though. The last time I willingly humped a 16# firearm around it had a happy switch and ate a steady diet of 5.56 from 200rd belts out of a drum (M249). :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

And Tio Samuel gave you the ammo!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mescalero wrote:And Tio Samuel gave you the ammo!
Yeah, that made it more fun. :lol:

The one trip I made to Knob Creek, there was a guy renting a PKM. He wanted something like $25 per 50rd belt. I asked myself "Why pay when I can do it for free?". Of course we didn't have PKMs and I kind of wish I'd done it now... :roll: :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

For your complete Martini .22 education, check out:

http://www.adamsguns.com/martini.htm and http://rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Martini_Inte ... %20II.html

You'll find more than you wanted to know about the Martini .22.