What about the 'Ruger' & 'Savage' forum(s)...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

What about the 'Ruger' & 'Savage' forum(s)...?

Post by AJMD429 »

The thread about MarlinOwners got me thinking about 'other' forums I check now and then. I've occasionally visited the two 'Ruger forums' I found (links are on my other computer so I don't know the exact forum names), but both seem the sort of overly-fragmented kind of setup I don't particularly care for. However, I've NOT had any negative experiences on either one, so this is not a thread meant to hunt for nits-to-pick or that sort of thing.

What I wonder is if anyone has been on either one of the Ruger forums very much, or both, and what the strengths (we can skip the weaknesses so this doesn't become a forum-bash) of either one may be. My reason for asking is basically that when I want to ask about something obscure about a Ruger, I'd really rather only bother (lazy me) joining ONE of the forums - I'm already 'on' too many to keep track of. My main Ruger interests are (of course) their leverguns, their DA and SA revolvers, No.#1/3 rifles, and Mini-14's.

I might also (maybe separate thread) ask if the 'Savage' forum is worthwhile enough to pay for a membership; it seems whenever I want to read on something there, I can't because I'm not a paid member. The fee is reasonable (...don't tell Hobie... :wink: ) but I'm just curious as to other folks' experience.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What about the 'Ruger' & 'Savage' forum(s)...?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I spend some time here...
http://www.rugerforum.org/phpBB/index.p ... d0fb7302bb
as do others here.
There seems to be a good bunch of people there.
Lots of pictures, read EYE CANDY !!
Any forum seems to have their groups of people who think they know it all, and some of them do pretty much know it all! I think I even come off that way at times although I don`t intend to. :o
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD,

I am a member of both Ruger forums.

The Ruger Forum.com http://www.rugerforum.com/ was the very first forum I joined when I was introduced to the internet. That was back in 2000. I've got well over 5,000 posts there.
That forum is populated by as varied a crew as this one is, but mostly geared to the collectors. If you want information about Rugers, that is the forum to go to. You'll get the info right down the pedigree of the gun you're looking at.
They are not overly moderated but they are pretty well controlled.
I'd recommend joining if you have any interest in Rugers at all.
You really don't have to peruse all the sections.
When I visit I do the Lounge, Revolvers, Gallery, Gunsmithing, Ammo and Classifieds. Sometimes the other sections.

The Ruger Forum.net http://www.rugerforum.net/ is almost but not quite a duplicate of the first forum and has many of the same members. It's not geared nearly as much towards the collectors as the first one though.
I also recommend that forum.
I visit them occasionally, but not every day.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I paid up on the Savage forum because I was starting a build and I heard what a wealth of info there was. Not impressed and I got better info just surfing. As a matter of fact, when I posted a question before I paid up I got a bunch of responses saying I should pay up for all the better info. After I did pay getting a response to a question was like pulling teeth. Maybe if I was building a tacticool sniper rifle I would of got better input.

LK

BTW, my build turned out great besides that forums lack of help.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use the "new post" button in every forum so that I don't have to page through all the different divisions. I can then read only those posts which topic title interests me. One can peruse 1/2 dozen forums in less than 30 minutes.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kaferhaus
Levergunner

Post by kaferhaus »

I did not care for the Savage forum before it became a two tier board. I'm sure my opinion of it now would not be any different.

As the other guy said, lots of sniper wannabes and the like and in my opinion a lot of bad information to boot.

I like both the Ruger forums but mostly lurk

Another good one is rimfirecentral.com for you rimfire guys. Tons of good info and friendly folks.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I spend some time on the Ruger.com forum and I find it a good place with some good people just as here on this forum.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I used to be an active member of the Rugerforum.com board, and I highly respect not only Flatgate but many of the regulars there. There is good information to be had when you get past the "I just got" and the "what's it worth" posts common to any forum. The guys are kept in line, but the leash is not too tight. True, there are some guys who are "well read", if you know what I mean, and they can be overbearing. But, like heated discussions in a bar, the prudent man simply walks way without getting involved. I read now, but I do not post, probably for that reason. I don't have the time nor the inclination to argue about a hobby.

Generally, I only spend time here and on the Gord Board.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I have posted on one of the "Ruger Forums," but it seemed like all they ever talked about was Rugers! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was messing around with Old Models. I was on there quite a bit and did learn a lot. Honestly, Jerry Kunhausen pretty much tells you all you need to know about them mechanically, but how many of which ones were made and who owned which SNs, etc. can be interesting as well as some of the minor gunsmithing ideas. When I got my Lipsey/Ruger .44 Special Flat Top, I moved the OMs, as my search for the "perfect SA" ended (with some small compromises), so I don't have a lot of stuff to post pics of any more and am out of experiences to share. Not a bad feeling though - I am content with having settled into this "one gun."

I think the Ruger Forum that I used to visit was one of the better forums as far as useful information from folks who actually knew something more than the catalog infromation. I have owned and used a LOT of guns over the years and like to know what makes them work - or not. That's one of the things that drew me to the '92 design. That thing is like a little 19th century machine working in there when you supply a little energy to work the "lever-thingie." :wink:
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

I keep up with both Ruger forums and post only rarely. I really can't say one is better than the other and have never had any criticism of the people who post there.